Maier racing vs scott drake sway bar

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oh dam

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
1994 GT Coupe
Ok I am looking to getting a thicker sway bar. the two candidates? Maier racing 1 1/8" and Scott Drake 1 1/8"

ok the maier racings is advertised at $209 +tax $ S/H

scott drakes is advertised at $141 no tax and no S/H

I know maier racing is the best (i bought some springs from him) but as far as the sway bar I am not sure how much difference the quality is. is spending the extra $100 worth it? or should i just save that money because i wont see a difference in either?

links to both

http://www.maiermotorsports.com/front-suspension/1971-73-maier-1-1-8-front-sway-bar-kit

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-sway-bar-front-1-1-8-kit-1971-1973/p/FSB13/

Ok I am looking to getting a thicker sway bar. the two candidates? Maier racing 1 1/8" and Scott Drake 1 1/8"

I know maier racing is the best (i bought some springs from him) but as far as the sway bar I am not sure how much difference the quality is. is spending the extra $100 worth it? or should i just save that money because i wont see a difference in either?

links to both

http://www.maiermotorsports.com/front-suspension/1971-73-maier-1-1-8-front-sway-bar-kit

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-sway-bar-front-1-1-8-kit-1971-1973/p/FSB13/
I personally try to stay away from anything Scott Drake. They are VERY hit or miss with more miss in my opinion so I'd generally recommended ANYTHING not from them. Not sure how they could screw up a sway bar though.

As far as sway bars, I like my grab-a-trak front sway bar. If you shop around on ebay you can pick one up from any number of Mustang parts distributors at a lower cost than what's on their webpage b/c most sell their excess inventory parts on there.

I went with a 1" front sway bar and am very pleased with the purchase. I read that a 1 1/8" might be a little too tight for my liking.

oh dam,

If you do go with the 1 inch front sway bar, then it would be prudent to look into a 5/8 inch rear sway to accompany the updated front bar. Does your mustang have the factory installed rear sway bar? This will determine the correct kit to purchase. Rutkak makes a valid point on the size. I have the 1 1/8 inch bar. I might would go with the 1 inch bar for better ride and fit. With the lower front springs installed on my 1971, I had shave a bit off of front rails to prevent the bar from rubbing against it.

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
hahaha, i just posted up an ad last night selling my 1 1/8 for 90 dollars plus shipping.

Be careful. I bought the grab a track 1-1/8" bar and it will make contact with the strut rods at full jounce. However my car is seriously lowered. I have heard the best comments about the Addco swaybars for the best fit and clearance. As for ride quality I really like the 1-1/8" bar. Shocks and springs will affect ride quality way more than the swaybar. If you are running stock front springs I'd recommend the 1-1/8, if stiffer springs the 1" would probably work well.

1-1/8" front, 3/4" rear and KYB gasAjust shocks.

I'm not saying to go with Maier's just because I have their stuff on both of my mustangs. But I have heard a lot of complaints about Scott Drakes stuff. On my '68 coupe and my '73 Mach-1, I am using their:

1 1/8" front, 3/4" rear seat bar, 600# Front springs and 160# race leaf springs. My cars are driven in the Calif. Bay Area daily and I couldn't be happier.

mustang7173 i do not have a rear sway bar installed. either it didnt come with one or the previous owner removed it.

cazper. i too live in cali but socal haha

i actually just bought some 600lb front coils from maier racing and looking to get some 200lb racing leaf springs.

my ride height currently 25 inches in the front (with 225/45/18) i want the front to measure roughly 23 inches and later change tires to 245/40/18 and 27 inches in the rear currently (with 275/35/20) i want the rear to measure 24.5 inches and later change tires to 285/35/20. measuring from ground to highest point of the wheel well.

and i have some monroe front shocks and gas-a-just in the rear..i know i know they suck..but i needed shocks and had no money :p

also how bad is the rear of these cars? It seems as if i have really terrible bumpsteer, and it feels like its from the back. I dont know if adjustable tie rods will help since they are for the front. what else can i do?

also what is up with these adjustable strut rods? are they helpful?

and when i change my front coils should i also change the saddle and spring insulators?

While Maier does a good job valving Bilstein shocks, I think the best sway bar setup for the '71-73 is from Total Control Products. My kit came with greasable zerks as well!

http://totalcontrolproducts.com/arfm.html

links to both

That sway bar may have a drake sticker on it but I doubt they make it.

My '71 is lowered with 600# coils and I'm running a Total Control 1.125" bar with their billet bar mounts, no issues here. Coupled with Bilstein competition shocks, the car is really fun to drive.

oh dam,

You need to look underneath the rear end look at the frame rails for several holes to see if there are thread mounting plates. If you do not see any threads, then there was no factory sway bar there. There are several threads on the rear sway bar by forum members that can be helpful.

mustang7173

mustang7173 i do not have a rear sway bar installed. either it didnt come with one or the previous owner removed it.

cazper. i too live in cali but socal haha

i actually just bought some 600lb front coils from maier racing and looking to get some 200lb racing leaf springs.

my ride height currently 25 inches in the front (with 225/45/18) i want the front to measure roughly 23 inches and later change tires to 245/40/18 and 27 inches in the rear currently (with 275/35/20) i want the rear to measure 24.5 inches and later change tires to 285/35/20. measuring from ground to highest point of the wheel well.

and i have some monroe front shocks and gas-a-just in the rear..i know i know they suck..but i needed shocks and had no money :p

also how bad is the rear of these cars? It seems as if i have really terrible bumpsteer, and it feels like its from the back. I dont know if adjustable tie rods will help since they are for the front. what else can i do?

also what is up with these adjustable strut rods? are they helpful?

and when i change my front coils should i also change the saddle and spring insulators?

oh dam,

We have seen numerous threads on the selection of leaf springs here at 7173Mustangs. Eaton Detroit Springs recommends Leaf spring rate between 94 and 138 lbs for the 1971 Mustang Coupe 351 - 2V engine. It would seem that a 200 lb spring rate would just bounce the mustang all over the place and be just too stiff. It looks like the right solution would be to call Eaton Detroit Spring and provide them with your, this Is what I want to do. What do you recommend so I can autocross with the mustang?

Forum members, what do you think?

mustang7173

It depends on how low the front end is.
mine was lowered 1.5 inches at the time and it never hit it ever. the grab-a-track one is a good piece.

ya mine might be lowered 3 inches also..i heated up the stock springs and have about 3-4 coils collapse on each other.

ok ill check it out. dam i thought 200lb leafs will be perfect for auto x/ road racing and not overly stiff for the streets.

Back