sequencial turn signal project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
I'm thinking of making a solid-state plug and play sequential tail light set for our cars 71-73 Mustangs.

I'm going to work on this over the next few weeks and see what I come up with.

if it works, as expected, how many people would be interested in it?

I'm just trying to get a feel.

and is someone else is already in the process of making one, please let me know, we might be able to help each other.

Iyman,

To save you some time, use the search box in the upper right of this (and every other) page. I put in "sequential tail light" and got many, many threads.

But I like your idea and project. Maybe you can take one of the ones already available and improve on the funtionality and/or design.

You know I'm more of a purist but if I had a modded stang I'd be very interested. I'm sure there are plenty others who are.

Good luck!!!!

Ray

Ray,

I will do the search, why reinvent the wheel, we just make it better :)

I was thinking of making it almost as a replacement harness for the tail panel section, minimum cutting or modifications, so the person could always go right back to stock if they want.

Ray,

I will do the search, why reinvent the wheel, we just make it better :)

I was thinking of making it almost as a replacement harness for the tail panel section, minimum cutting or modifications, so the person could always go right back to stock if they want.
Hi Iyman,

Just wanted to give you a little feedback about what i ended up doing early last year. I wanted a sequencial light setup for the tailights, so ended up buying and installing myself a system from Champion Mustang. (see the relivant web page here).......

http://www.championmustang.com/7173-mustang-led-sequential-tail-light-kit-p-8553.html

It works great, was easy to install, and looks reasonably good too.However, as you may be aware, our '71-'73 tailights have the reverse light design in the middle lens, and therefore i don't get that middle light working for the sequencial action.(SEE THE BLINKING ACTION ON THAT PAGE)

That said, i was disappointed not to have the three way lens action working.So as far as design goes, if one could invent a setup where you could have both lights independantly working in the center lens, that would be very good indeed.In other words, your reverse light works normally, and also the center lens lights up red when the sequencial action takes place.

The only other alternative would be to eliminate the reverse light from the cluster and mount reverse lights somewhere else on the back of the car.

I notice as well that the team turning out the new tailight housings (Obsidion), will hopefully be coming up with a dedicated three way sequencial light action for the new lenes. I don't know if anything has been finalised in that regard as yet.

Anyway, that's where i'm at with the whole thing at present. Hope that helps.

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg,

the design I started looks like the one on the link you supplied, just 2 lights.

but the cost is more like $70 using standard 1157 bulbs or 1157 LED bulbs.

but my issue is when I press on the brake the brake lights will act like sequential lights and not a solid red, with out running a separate wire from the brake peddle switch.

that's what I'm trying to work out.

here is an article from Mustang monthly about 71-73 sequential lights

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0701_ford_mustang_taillights/

Greg,

the design I started looks like the one on the link you supplied, just 2 lights.

but the cost is more like $70 using standard 1157 bulbs or 1157 LED bulbs.

but my issue is when I press on the brake the brake lights will act like sequential lights and not a solid red, with out running a separate wire from the brake peddle switch.

that's what I'm trying to work out.

Ok, let's see if i got this right. 1. You want a sequencial light action happening on left and right light banks, when you apply the brakes,yes or no?, and 2. in regards a true 3 way lens lightup for sequencial indicator action, do you think there is anyway you could bring the center lens into play with our stock tailight systems?

I want the sequential action not to happen when applying the brakes. only with the turn signals.

my circuit has 3 lights, but I need to figure out how to set up the housing to get 3 lights and a backup.

all of this is in paper right now, the circuit, I built on a proto board 15+ years ago (I'm looking for it) but I have the schematics I made years ago.

In the UK we have a requirement for Amber Turn signals. For the 71-73 this means the reverse lamp is used for the Turn Signal by a wiring modification and using an Amber Bulb.

Up till now this has unfortunately meant sacrificing the Reverse lights to gain Amber turn signals but now a MOCGB (Mustang Owners Club Great Britain) member '68 Coupe' has developed an LED conversion module. I have them on order for my cars at the moment.

Now '68 Coupe' uses a mix of Amber & White LED's to suit our market but I can see that a mix of RED & White LEDS would offer up possibilties for a true sequential 3 way tail light for USA cars?

Linky here

http://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthread.php?50010-71-73-LED-combined-Amber-Turn-Singnals-and-White-Reverse-Lights

This is the wiring diagram I have used for my UK light mods helpfully posted by MOCGB member 'STEVEc2004'

WIRING%20FOR%20LIGHTS.JPG

Hope this helps!

Holey Lightbulbs Batman!!::chili::

Wendell, you are amazing!! How and when did you find these little gems?

On first impressions, this kit looks like the real deal for setting up a true 3 way sequencial indicator action and utilising a reverse light as well in the middle.

Had no idea this product existed, and i'll look into it much further soon. Too bad i've invested all that money for my system that i bought last year.

Thank you so much for bringing this product to our attention.You'da Man!!

In the UK we have a requirement for Amber Turn signals. For the 71-73 this means the reverse lamp is used for the Turn Signal by a wiring modification and using an Amber Bulb.

Up till now this has unfortunately meant sacrificing the Reverse lights to gain Amber turn signals.

Hi Gardoco,

Your solution is very interesting indeed.Here in the state of Queensland, Australia where i live, the state laws let American cars with red rear indicators stay the way they are, so in that sense, i've been lucky, and have not needed to modify my lights in that regard. All of Queensland driven cars require amber indicator rear lights, but amazingly, they relax that law for classic American cars with red indicator setups.

However, your solution to your problem is brilliant, as it lets you get the best of both worlds - amber indicator/ full red brake light function/and white reverse light as well.

If our Government ever change those existing laws, i'll have a perfect solution to that problem with your system.

Way to go Sir!

Wendell, I saw them, and I like them, but at $200+

my plan is to make something reliable and affordable.
What sort of money do you think you would turn something out along the same lines as that product Iyman?

Up till now this has unfortunately meant sacrificing the Reverse lights to gain Amber turn signals.

Hi Gardoco,

Your solution is very interesting indeed.Here in the state of Queensland, Australia where i live, the state laws let American cars with red rear indicators stay the way they are, so in that sense, i've been lucky, and have not needed to modify my lights in that regard. All of Queensland driven cars require amber indicator rear lights, but amazingly, they relax that law for classic American cars with red indicator setups.

However, your solution to your problem is brilliant, as it lets you get the best of both worlds - amber indicator/ full red brake light function/and white reverse light as well.

If our Government ever change those existing laws, i'll have a perfect solution to that problem with your system.

Way to go Sir!

What sort of money do you think you would turn something out along the same lines as that product Iyman?

I don't know yet, it's still in the planning stage.

what I'm planning on making, will use off the shelf 1157 LED bulbs.

Led's will last a thousand times longer than an 1157 and have a much more visible, and even light. $200 is not that much IF it were a 3 light setup...you used to go to the store and fill up three carts for two hundred dollars but now you can just put everything in the glove box...:dodgy:...what I would like to see is a division from the backup light to make the center surround light up red...has anyone thought about using red LED's and somehow making the center light work as tail, brake,and turn...and have white LED's for the backup? is this possible? I would pay 200 for a set of those.

Led's will last a thousand times longer than an 1157 and have a much more visible, and even light. $200 is not that much IF it were a 3 light setup...you used to go to the store and fill up three carts for two hundred dollars but now you can just put everything in the glove box...:dodgy:...what I would like to see is a division from the backup light to make the center surround light up red...has anyone thought about using red LED's and somehow making the center light work as tail, brake,and turn...and have white LED's for the backup? is this possible? I would pay 200 for a set of those.
Hey Wendell,

I'm hearing what you're saying here,but when you read the product description (see below), doesn't it say that when you put your foot on the brake pedal, all three lights will light up?

Also there is no division wall isolating the white backup light in the pic provided. Would you really need one or is it strictly necessary to have true isolation in this regard?

Your opinion Sir?

Magical Snap - 2013.11.09 12.52 - 001.jpg

HMMMM??? I bought a kit from this site for my 03 GT. Maybe, somehow we could use parts to help us make our 123's all three flash? Or at least get some ideas.

http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/mustang.html
Hi mpbsr,

I have just Emailed that company and asked for a response to designing a three light up system for our '71-'73's, as Wendell is talking about.

Can let you know what feedback i get if you want.

Greg, i'm not sure how these are set up. I have been looking at them and thinking about it...if they used red LED's in the center it would work for the backup lens area but, I was worried about a weak illumines behind the red lens, if they mixed them I would think the white LED's would bleed through...maybe a phone call to them would clarify our questions. In my opinion, a simple plug and play like this would be worth the money to get 3 lens sequential turn signals, and keep the backup where it is, with LED's to boot.

Greg, i'm not sure how these are set up. I have been looking at them and thinking about it...if they used red LED's in the center it would work for the backup lens area but, I was worried about a weak illumines behind the red lens, if they mixed them I would think the white LED's would bleed through...maybe a phone call to them would clarify our questions. In my opinion, a simple plug and play like this would be worth the money to get 3 lens sequential turn signals, and keep the backup where it is, with LED's to boot.
I agree with what you say here Wendell. Over the next few days, i'll find time to ring the company in America, and see if i can learn more about this product and how it functions. I'll stay posted in that regard.

BTW - I'm a crazy music man myself. I play, collect, and do some light engineering with music as mainstream activity. I got into decent home Hi-Fi back in 1976, and am still with it. My weapon of choice has always been Yamaha Hi -Fi over the years and i got into Yamaha Home Theatre back in 1992.

Sounds like you and me could spend countless hours disscussing matters music.

Cheers mate,

Back