OE Single Piston Caliper Upgrade

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

We all know there are many replacement/Upgrade Disc Brake to drum/Disc brake spindle kits out there. They are not fairly cheap,especially for some who are on a budget.

JamesS directed us to the Street or Track website for the 4 Piston Forged Aluminum Caliper Brake System they offer. Wow, they are nice! But, they hit the pocket pretty good.

So, I was wondering, does anybody offer a replacement upgrade to the factory OE Disc Brake Calipers? Looks like SSBC offers that upgrade kit.

SSBC A123 Kit: Vehicle must have O.E. Single Piston calipers, Direct bolt-on replacement to O.E.Single Piston Calipers.

website: http://ssbrakes.com/i-10093002-caliper-set-comp-s-quick-change-aluminum-caliper-upgrade-kit.html

Has anybody used this kit? I know there decent upgrade kits around the $750 range, but like I said, budget sometimes dictates what we can afford to purchase.

Summitt: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ssb-a213/overview/make/ford

$495.97 -Not bad for an upgrade of the calipers.

Request comments!

mustang7173 :D

I've seen the same kit and if my engine was back in my car I'd be looking at it further. You can also get slotted and slotted and drilled front rotors for our cars through a few sources as well as improved ceramic pads if you so desire.

Keep in mind that a 4 piston front caliper is likely going to require a MC upgrade and a proportioning valve upgrade as well to provide the increased volume you are going to need.

There is another brand of bolt on calipers available IIRC but I'll have to look.

Hello Jeff,

Yes, I would agree with you on that. So, I went back to the installation document and they never mentioned anything about Master Cylinder or proportion valve updates. The instructions are like replacing the Standard OE Disc brake calipers. I would most likely replace the MC with a brand new anyway!

Let us know what the other bolt calipers are available.

mustang7173

I bought some wilwood 4p brakes and they are great! i track the car with drums in the back and still stops pretty well. Has far as the pedal upgrade and MC and PV i really didnt do any of that. However I did to a hydrobooster instead of a power booster. Reason being that I have a big cam so vaccum was little. I didnt need to do this and could of kept the manual brakes. Wilwood sells a direct bolt on for our spindles. Yes they are kinda pricey but i think its worth it.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront.aspx?itemno=140-11930-D&year=1972&make=Ford&model=Mustang&option=Drum+Brake+Front+Spindle

i would order from summit or jegs i think they are cheaper on those sites. part number 140-11930-D if it doesnt work. Youll probably need new brakes lines (220-9195) for the calipers and wilwood sells then for like 90 bucks in think..silver steel breaded they look really nice

jegs and summit: $713 + $80 for brake lines + S/H..i think they have free shipping right now.

wilwood sells them for $798 + $89 + s/h & tax

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered one... plan to put it on over the winter
Reviving an old thread here. Does this kit work if you already have disc brakes? This kits is appealing because includes the master cylinder and booster, which may not be a bad idea to replace anyway. It also includes the bearings and hoses. So although is expensive, may not be a bad deal if one is planing on replacing all those other items.

This kit looks good!
I ordered one... plan to put it on over the winter
Reviving an old thread here. Does this kit work if you already have disc brakes? This kits is appealing because includes the master cylinder and booster, which may not be a bad idea to replace anyway. It also includes the bearings and hoses. So although is expensive, may not be a bad deal if one is planing on replacing all those other items.
I don't think so. Its a conversion from drum to disc using the original drum spindle.

Back