Thinking of parting out my '71 Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
I'm thinking of parting out my '71 Mustang coupe. I was wondering if anyone who has done the same thing could give me any advice on the best way to go about it? How successful you were, etc.? Really mulling this over and can't decide what to do. Any shared experiences would be helpful. Thanks!

Finish it;)
I would totally finish it if it didn't need so much body work. The general consensus is the cowl needs to be replaced and to have a shop do it isn't worth the cost. It's just too much $$$ for a run-of-the-mill coupe with no sentimental value. It also needs new quarters, outer wells and apron pieces.

I have been threw a few parts cars. I have maid some ok money and helped out a few members here. I wash I had more space to store parts and cars so I can keep the cars hole for longer. I use this forum and craigslist primarily. Any money I make I put back in to my project.

image0-3.jpg

image0-1.jpg

parts car doors 011.jpg

parts car #5 001.jpg

When selling the shell, or rolling chassis, or whole car... be sure to photograph the rust issues in detail.

Often times, what one person perceives to be a "rust bucket" may not be so bad.

When I lived down south, I saw a lot of cars that people deemed "rusty" would have us yankees drooling to own. What we call "patches" are sometimes referred to as "panel replacement" :).

Leesburg rust is usually very different than Pittsburgh rust.

Sure, there were some real swiss cheesed toads, but generally speaking...

Don't give up too fast (unless, like you said, there's no sentimental value).

Show us whatcha got...

Yeah no sentimental value at all. I just bought it on a whim from eBay not really knowing what I was looking for when buying a Mustang. It was a Minn. car sold new in Philly. So it looks like it's spent all its time in the north. Needless to say I Learned a hell of a lot more about these cars in the year I've had this thing. And I've not once been mad at myself for getting it. I just think for the money it's going to take to fix this one I can find a straight, drivable fastback or vert that doesn't need the wealth of bodywork.

Here is a link to some pics of the rust issues and some progress I had made through the beginning of last summer.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/116803080658659687084/albums/5791538903697525969?authkey=CP3R69C-wJG7Dg

The big issues again are the cowl; which you can see the blower box hanging on for dear life. You can see on the driver rear quarter they used about 5 pounds of bondo. I was actually impressed with the sculpting job they did. :) Other stuff needing replacement include the extension patch panels for the trunk, outer wheelhouses (maybe inner as well), and inner fender apron.

Find your self another car and keep this one around for parts if you have the space. Even know the body is rusted I'm sure there are some odds and ends that will come in handy.

I did the same thing I bought a 70 Mach 1 that was so rusty. After having it a month or so the left rear spring came up threw the trunk floor. Some times you just have to hit the reset button.:cool:

Find your self another car and keep this one around for parts if you have the space. Even know the body is rusted I'm sure there are some odds and ends that will come in handy.

I did the same thing I bought a 70 Mach 1 that was so rusty. After having it a month or so the left rear spring came up threw the trunk floor. Some times you just have to hit the reset button.:cool:
Now see I agree with you all the way! Finding a good donor body would be the perfect solution. But you haven't met my wife. :dodgy: It's hard for her to really look at it without getting angry. haha So filling up the garage completely with Mustangs; while a dream come true for me; I would end up sleeping in one.

I like that quote! "Sometimes you just have to hit the reset button!"

Now see I agree with you all the way! Finding a good donor body would be the perfect solution. But you haven't met my wife. :dodgy: It's hard for her to really look at it without getting angry. haha So filling up the garage completely with Mustangs; while a dream come true for me; I would end up sleeping in one.

I like that quote! "Sometimes you just have to hit the reset button!"
Then disassemble this with the intent to sell the parts, get rid of the junk, buy a donor and she will never know...:angel:...Oh BTW, I am no longer married for some reason?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back