429 Ram Air? for sale.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
None
O.K eagle eyed experts I`d like your opinions on this car.

It`s listed as a `project Car` and without any asking price.

Take a look at the pics and tell me what you see.

The body looks clean and the interior seems odd to me.

First of all the seat color combo seems wrong and it looks like it has two clocks.

The engine does not have the ram air setup but I don`t know what I`m looking at for sure but it doesn`t look like a 429 to me.

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Mustang/MONTR%c3%89AL/Quebec/5_7642219_20100409065054946/?showcpo=ShowCPO

Well the motor in the car is a 429 or 460. Would need a lot more pics and casting numbers to determine if it is the one that is factory to the car.

The VIN would be a good start. The 5th digit would need to be a C or a J.

The car is in very nice condition. The interior does not look incorrect. Mach 1 Vermillion sports interior.

Here's a Mach 1 with same interior:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=71&aid=383

You got me about he two clocks. I have never noticed that before on another car.

Anyway - the car looks to be a very original car. Either it is or someone has gone to a lot of trouble in their restoration.

You need the VIN, the info off the driver's door sticker and a related Marti report to help dig further.

Good luck!

Ray

It has two clocks because the car most likely came with the speedo/clock instrument cluster, and the previous owner added a full center console (with clock).

As to other issues, I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary. I'm sure there will be lots of input. ;)

How much are they asking? Seems awful nice for a 'project' car.

Assuming it's am original 429 Mach1 I cannot see them taking less than $30K. Some underneath pics would be great (staggered shocks for one). Of course a VIN and/or the Data label would be nice. :rolleyes:

Few things irritate me more than listing things for sale, anything, without a price.

:dodgy:

Damn ,if that's just a project car , I should hang my head in shame & sell mine for scrap! :huh:

Thanks everybody. So it has a correct interior and it is a probably a 429. Two things still bother me though. The twins clocks thing is wierd. I would have thought it should be a tach in the dash instead.

Secondly why remove a ram air set up for a regular aftermarket air cleaner.

I did see from looking at the mega 429 site that this car is a CJ and not a SCJ because it has the Rochester carb and not the Holley carb.

I think I`ll call tomorrow and try and get some more info on the car. Hopefully somebody there speaks english. Those darn Quebois don`t like dealing with us`Anglais`.

It`s been for sale for a long time so I don`t think it will get sold in any great hurry.

BTW that dealer never advertises it`s prices and I usually just pass on any listing without a price as how can you compare apples to oranges unless you a price range in mind, but as this car is so rare I think I`ll venture a call.

Believe the bumper is wrong for a 71.......stock exhaust manifolds though, as the heat tube is sticking up in the engine compartment....

BDK

Believe the bumper is wrong for a 71.......stock exhaust manifolds though, as the heat tube is sticking up in the engine compartment....

BDK
::huh::: Bumpers are correct for a 1971 Mach 1.

Dang Auron - beat me to the post! LOL

Ray

Sorry for the confusion...should have stated REAR bumper....Yes the front is correct but the rear does not look correct for a 71

BDK

This particular 71 Mach 1 has been for sale for a number of years; I've seen it advertised as far back as 2010 by the same dealer in Quebec. There is a reason for the long period; they are probably asking around $60-70K in Canadian funds. Practice up your French.

But, the car has never been advertised--up to now--as a project car; it certainly looks like a finished car. What is left to do on it?

And what is more, the price has never been posted; you have to phone them to get that information; that's their way of getting their hooks into you.

If you do phone them, let us know what they are asking for it. And why is it labeled as a project car? All the best to you.

Thanks everybody. So it has a correct interior and it is a probably a 429. Two things still bother me though. The twins clocks thing is wierd. I would have thought it should be a tach in the dash instead.
Like I said, it was most likely a 'speedo/clock' car and the owner has found a full console with clock to install - it's not THAT uncommon. This is exactly what's currently going on with mine, mostly because I've been too lazy to get my speedo/clock instrument cluster to The Rktmn for one of his awesome tach conversions. My '71 H-code came with a speedo/clock cluster and didn't even have a small trim console or anything around the shifter (just the shifter bezel bolted to the floor) - awhile back I scored a great center console on ebay to help complete the interior options when it all goes back together.

Changing over to a factory tach cluster is more involved than just swapping out the cluster - the wiring harness must be swapped as well, or some creative rewiring will be involved to make it work. I only discovered this after purchasing a complete wiring harness and tach cluster, only to find out it was from a '73 (and would not work in my '71). Through this site, I also learned that the tach conversion The Rktmn performs will be well worth it, compared to the crazy Redneck-engineered wiring acrobatics required just to make the factory tach work with a non-factory tach harness.

Like I said, it was most likely a 'speedo/clock' car and the owner has found a full console with clock to install - it's not THAT uncommon. This is exactly what's currently going on with mine, mostly because I've been too lazy to get my speedo/clock instrument cluster to The Rktmn for one of his awesome tach conversions. My '71 H-code came with a speedo/clock cluster and didn't even have a small trim console or anything around the shifter (just the shifter bezel bolted to the floor) - awhile back I scored a great center console on ebay to help complete the interior options when it all goes back together.

Changing over to a factory tach cluster is more involved than just swapping out the cluster - the wiring harness must be swapped as well, or some creative rewiring will be involved to make it work. I only discovered this after purchasing a complete wiring harness and tach cluster, only to find out it was from a '73 (and would not work in my '71). Through this site, I also learned that the tach conversion The Rktmn performs will be well worth it, compared to the crazy Redneck-engineered wiring acrobatics required just to make the factory tach work with a non-factory tach harness.
Eric the thing that troubles me is the car has the three guages in the center console. From what I have read if you ordered the instrumentation group it came with the Tach, trip odometer and triple instrumentation pod.

This car has the triple pod so why didn't it come with the tach?

If you look closely at the clock console bezel it doesn't color match to the rest of the console. What I suspect is what you said, the bezel was replaced and at that time a lower clock was added.

I also read that the woodgrain bezel for the center console only came on very early in the production of 71 models. Unless this car is a very early model maybe the center console with the triple guage setup was added too, but I thought the triple guage pod was standard on all Mach 1 models.

I'm going to call the dealer today and get some more info and will report back here.

Eric the thing that troubles me is the car has the three guages in the center console. From what I have read if you ordered the instrumentation group it came with the Tach, trip odometer and triple instrumentation pod.

This car has the triple pod so why didn't it come with the tach?

If you look closely at the clock console bezel it doesn't color match to the rest of the console. What I suspect is what you said, the bezel was replaced and at that time a lower clock was added.

I also read that the woodgrain bezel for the center console only came on very early in the production of 71 models. Unless this car is a very early model maybe the center console with the triple guage setup was added too, but I thought the triple guage pod was standard on all Mach 1 models.

I'm going to call the dealer today and get some more info and will report back here.
I'm not 100% sure on what 'was' or 'was not' offered as part of the instrumentation package, or 'could' or 'could not' be ordered together (I leave that for others who are more versed on such things than I). ;)

What I do know is that the center gauge pod was offered either 'with' or 'without' the wood grain, and could be added independently of the speedo/tach cluster... otherwise, mine wouldn't have come the way it did. It came to me with: Mach 1 Deluxe interior package, 3-gauge center pod w/woodgrain, speedo/clock cluster, and no center console.

Someone pointed out to the group awhile back that Mach 1s came 'standard' with a clock 'somewhere.' If there was no center console w/clock ordered, the car received a speedo/clock cluster (unless otherwise specified during the ordering process). That makes sense and explains the speedo/clock cluster.

Also keep in mind that there were deviations from the hard facts of what could and could not be ordered together. Occasionally, someone would receive a car with some options that were never supposed to appear on the same vehicle: for instance, dual exhaust cut-outs on an H-code. Sometimes, things happen. ;)

There's also a possibility that the individual responsible for restoring the car wasn't faithful to the build sheet (or Marti Report, if available) during the time the project was underway.

I'd still put money on the speedo/clock cluster being original, and the center console showing up during the restoration.

Well as usual my timing is excellent. After being for sale for at least 3 yrs according to another member the car now is tentatively sold. They have accepted a deposit on a deal pending the long distance customer arriving with his trade.

I did garner some info from the person on the phone, who spoke unaccented english by the way. I guess there are some english left in Quebec that the language police haven't chassed away.

The car was a one owner, originally sold locally and other than a repaint is in original condition. It has a little over 48K miles on it.

The asking price was $59,900 and according to the salesman the ram air air cleaner was stolen off the car just before they aquired it and they attached a regular air cleaner to "protect the carb and make the car driveable".

It is a true Mach 1 J code with the vin beginning with 1F05J.

He further addded that the "project car" portion of the add was a function of the Auto Trader online form and that the car actually needs no work other than the missing air cleaner.

Further about the dual clock setup, I did some net surfing and found another car with exactly the same setup, dash clock, trip odometer, triple guage and lower console clock. So I guess that it is definatley possible to have come from the factory that way.

I have left my name and number just in case the deal falls through.

Back