Original tach and under dash harness. How much?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Ok, here's the deal: I've been offered an original tach plus complete under dash wiring harness. How much should I be willing to pay for it?

Funny thing is, it happened exactly two days after I ordered the Rocketman idiot light conversion tach.

I will use the one from Rocketman but I thought it might still be a good thing to stash an original one in case someone ever needs one.

I see the tach clusters sell for US $125 - $150 fairly often.

When you say complete harness do you mean the entire harness under the dash from firewall to dash?...or just the tach harness?

I don't have a price for the complete harness but would guess anywhere from $125 to $300.

Tach harness $25 to $50.

Tach dash harness value is also determined by what year - you need the underdash and under hood sets to change over from non tach cars.

good harness - 300.00 more if it was a nicely optioned car

complete harness, tach & speedo set with center guages 600.00 up depending on year , options and condition

Donstang not sure what you mean by " Tach harness $25 to $50."

There is no seperate section for a tach, it is all built into the main harness

I sell completely refurbished harnesses outright for $225, $175 with a core. I also offer a 2 year warranty. Used harnesses should be well below that price.

Tach dash harness value is also determined by what year - you need the underdash and under hood sets to change over from non tach cars.

good harness - 300.00 more if it was a nicely optioned car

complete harness, tach & speedo set with center guages 600.00 up depending on year , options and condition

Donstang not sure what you mean by " Tach harness $25 to $50."

There is no seperate section for a tach, it is all built into the main harness
You're right. I was thinking about the center 3 gauge pod pigtail harness.

I sell completely refurbished harnesses outright for $225, $175 with a core. I also offer a 2 year warranty. Used harnesses should be well below that price.
Randy is 225 for full harness from head lights to tail lights for a car with tach and center guages ?

Don

That's' just the underdash price. Headlight harnesses go for $125 outright; I manufacture my own center gauge harness for $50. Tail-lights would be $75, but right now, I have a very limited supply of tail-lights that are capable of being refurbished.

Randy , now that makes more sence

The 300.00 and up I was stating for a used harness, is for [ how I usually sell them ] the complete wiring tach dash harness from the front to the back of the car.

Don

That's not out of line, Don, but the few bucks of cost-savings (your prices to mine) is more than offset by the fact that my harnesses are guaranteed to work for 2 years as being plug-n-play. I wish I could buy some of your stock for my cores, but I can't afford those prices for used harnesses. I have to rely upon people's good will for core turn-ins as Pay-It-Forwards.

On the other hand, your prices are quite competitive for my entire refurbishment costs if folks turn in a head-to-tail set of harnesses. It typically takes 8-12 hours to refurbish a complete set of 71-73's.

I've found (typically) about 25-35% of all pins need recrimping and about 10% of molded connectors need to be replaced. Out of nearly 300 harnesses I've refurbished, I think maybe 3 didn't require any repairs other than cleaning.

That's not out of line, Don, but the few bucks of cost-savings (your prices to mine) is more than offset by the fact that my harnesses are guaranteed to work for 2 years as being plug-n-play. I wish I could buy some of your stock for my cores, but I can't afford those prices for used harnesses. I have to rely upon people's good will for core turn-ins as Pay-It-Forwards.

On the other hand, your prices are quite competitive for my entire refurbishment costs if folks turn in a head-to-tail set of harnesses. It typically takes 8-12 hours to refurbish a complete set of 71-73's.

I've found (typically) about 25-35% of all pins need recrimping and about 10% of molded connectors need to be replaced. Out of nearly 300 harnesses I've refurbished, I think maybe 3 didn't require any repairs other than cleaning.
Randy I usually sell the tach dash wiring with the tach, speedo and center guages as a conversion

Do you need some non tach harnesses I have boxes full of them

I have a decent supply right now, but demand for underdash refurbishments or outright sales of 71-73 is lower than other years. I could use some tail-lights, though. If demand for underdashes picks up, I'll contact you.

And for the rest of you bozos: get your harnesses in for some quality care/love.

Back