72 Grande front grill conversion?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Current Vehicles:
2010 Mustang GT
2008 Lincoln Navigator
2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i 4x4
2006 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i 4x4
2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1500
1997 Mercedes SL500 AMG Roadster

I have the 72 Grande and I wanted to change all the front grill stuff

00z0z_5JzVtWLdkWY_600x450.jpg

to the 72 Mach 1 look with the yellow sport lamps etc...

72ford56641-3.jpg

Can someone give me an idea what this entails and is it a pretty simple conversion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Grill support bracket requires the extension, new hood and fender extensions, grill, grill lights, and bumper...not sure but I think the bumpers will use the same backing plate and supports...oh and the grill light wiring. should be able to do it in a day if you are handy. If I missed anything someone should catch it

I did the conversion on mine.

The grille is a simple swap. I got mine from CJPonyparts. Check different suppliers as prices vary. Also check whether the sport lamps are included or not.

The rings around the headlights are the same.

You don't need new fender extensions and hood molding, I simply had mine painted.

Now the bumper is another question. Those urethane bumpers are pretty hard to find and if you do, they are pretty expensive.

I'd do the grille and the chrome parts first and then see how you like it. That will give you the look of the Boss351. Only the Machs had urethane bumpers.

If you don't like it, maybe you might consider having your bumper painted in body color.

The chrome would have to be stripped off for the paint to adhere correctly, if you have a chrome shop around you they can handle that task. Don at Ohio Mustang Supply has a grill with trim for 249.00 + emblem and lights

Looks like a BOSS 351 Mustang up front. To me, the chrome bumper and chrome lip looks really good with the Mach 1 grille. It should be a direct bolt-on!

mustang7173

I'm going to change the grill and the sport lamps, everything else is going to stay the same. Ill be ordering from Don at Ohio Mustangs since he carries the Daniel Carpenter grill.

I assumed I could tap into the lower turn signals for the sport lamps.

I just didn't know if there is anything I'm not thinking about with changing this stuff out, just wanted to be sure its a remove grill, add Mach 1 Grill, attach sport lamps wiring and its done.

While I have a few of your attention do any of you have a 71-73 Coupe with 17x8 wheels on your coupe, or 17x9.5 in the rear?

There is a yellow one here on the forum but I don't remember the name. If a vert with the top up does it for you then check my pics. 9x18 front and 10x18 rear.

There is a yellow one here on the forum but I don't remember the name. If a vert with the top up does it for you then check my pics. 9x18 front and 10x18 rear.
Love your hood scoop, what is that from? Also I checked out the video on your car, sweet!!

so your running 18x9 on the front and they don't rub? I also love the 10's on the rear, do they hang over the fender wells?

Hello Mach1Club.com,

Take a look at this bulb socket for the sport lights. Even though it is three wires, I believe this is the socket type. Once you have it connected, dress it up with Dry Vinyl Tape Wire Harness Wrap to give it the OEM look.

Light Socket:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CTI0/84715/03583.oap?year=1971&make=Ford&model=Mustang&vi=1132816&ck=Search_03583_1132816_-1&pt=03583&ppt=C0243

Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elliott-Tape-ET-501-Dry-Vinyl-Tape-Wire-Harness-Wrap-OEM-/120888950760

mustang7173 :D

I'm going to change the grill and the sport lamps, everything else is going to stay the same. Ill be ordering from Don at Ohio Mustangs since he carries the Daniel Carpenter grill.

I assumed I could tap into the lower turn signals for the sport lamps.

I just didn't know if there is anything I'm not thinking about with changing this stuff out, just wanted to be sure its a remove grill, add Mach 1 Grill, attach sport lamps wiring and its done.

While I have a few of your attention do any of you have a 71-73 Coupe with 17x8 wheels on your coupe, or 17x9.5 in the rear?

Love your hood scoop, what is that from? Also I checked out the video on your car, sweet!!

so your running 18x9 on the front and they don't rub? I also love the 10's on the rear, do they hang over the fender wells?
Thanks. The scoop is from the 69 Mach1.

The wheels are well within the fender wells and don't rub.

The sockets for the sport lamps can be bought from napa for cheap. They may not be the original ones look wise but the side marker lights from a 70ish Lincoln continental uses sockets that fit and work.

Check the search function using the words "napa" or "sport lamps" and add my username on the right.

I posted a pic with the exact code visible on the box. You should be able to find it. I can't post the link because I'm only checking in on my phone right now.

A nice original Grande will become one of the most rare Mustangs soon.

:s

Ray
I'm keeping it original for the most part, probably just taking off the vinyl top. If the top is the reason it has more value its easy to put back on. The one on it now isn't original anyway just a pretty good job. I just want more of the Sport Coupe look. The vinyl top I think makes it look odd. IMHO

Ok, here's the link for the lamp sockets.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-mach1-sport-lamps-sockets-available-from-napa?pid=41900#pid41900

The Boss 351 look on mine with painted extensions and chrome bumper:

attachment.php

Thanks Don.

They've been on my to do list for a long time but I always keep forgetting them when I order new stuff. Probably because they're not vital to the car's functioning.

Back