72 Grande front grill conversion?

Mach1Club.com

I have the 72 Grande and I wanted to change all the front grill stuff

00z0z_5JzVtWLdkWY_600x450.jpg.e411cd8298843f5aebafa3b280c45a6c.jpg

to the 72 Mach 1 look with the yellow sport lamps etc...

72ford56641-3.jpg.50f91a3aed789f8015ad80ce147490c0.jpg

Can someone give me an idea what this entails and is it a pretty simple conversion?

My current Mustangs 2012 Shelby GT500 & 1972 Mustang Grande 351C

mycars.JPG

mach1clubbanner2.jpg

Grill support bracket requires the extension, new hood and fender extensions, grill, grill lights, and bumper...not sure but I think the bumpers will use the same backing plate and supports...oh and the grill light wiring. should be able to do it in a day if you are handy. If I missed anything someone should catch it

I did the conversion on mine.

The grille is a simple swap. I got mine from CJPonyparts. Check different suppliers as prices vary. Also check whether the sport lamps are included or not.

The rings around the headlights are the same.

You don't need new fender extensions and hood molding, I simply had mine painted.

Now the bumper is another question. Those urethane bumpers are pretty hard to find and if you do, they are pretty expensive.

I'd do the grille and the chrome parts first and then see how you like it. That will give you the look of the Boss351. Only the Machs had urethane bumpers.

If you don't like it, maybe you might consider having your bumper painted in body color.

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

The chrome would have to be stripped off for the paint to adhere correctly, if you have a chrome shop around you they can handle that task. Don at Ohio Mustang Supply has a grill with trim for 249.00 + emblem and lights

Looks like a BOSS 351 Mustang up front. To me, the chrome bumper and chrome lip looks really good with the Mach 1 grille. It should be a direct bolt-on!

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne

I'm going to change the grill and the sport lamps, everything else is going to stay the same. Ill be ordering from Don at Ohio Mustangs since he carries the Daniel Carpenter grill.

I assumed I could tap into the lower turn signals for the sport lamps.

I just didn't know if there is anything I'm not thinking about with changing this stuff out, just wanted to be sure its a remove grill, add Mach 1 Grill, attach sport lamps wiring and its done.

While I have a few of your attention do any of you have a 71-73 Coupe with 17x8 wheels on your coupe, or 17x9.5 in the rear?

mycars.JPG

mach1clubbanner2.jpg

There is a yellow one here on the forum but I don't remember the name. If a vert with the top up does it for you then check my pics. 9x18 front and 10x18 rear.

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

A nice original Grande will become one of the most rare Mustangs soon.

:s

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

There is a yellow one here on the forum but I don't remember the name. If a vert with the top up does it for you then check my pics. 9x18 front and 10x18 rear.

Love your hood scoop, what is that from? Also I checked out the video on your car, sweet!!

so your running 18x9 on the front and they don't rub? I also love the 10's on the rear, do they hang over the fender wells?

mycars.JPG

mach1clubbanner2.jpg

Hello Mach1Club.com,

Take a look at this bulb socket for the sport lights. Even though it is three wires, I believe this is the socket type. Once you have it connected, dress it up with Dry Vinyl Tape Wire Harness Wrap to give it the OEM look.

Light Socket:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CTI0/84715/03583.oap?year=1971&make=Ford&model=Mustang&vi=1132816&ck=Search_03583_1132816_-1&pt=03583&ppt=C0243

Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elliott-Tape-ET-501-Dry-Vinyl-Tape-Wire-Harness-Wrap-OEM-/120888950760

mustang7173 :D

I'm going to change the grill and the sport lamps, everything else is going to stay the same. Ill be ordering from Don at Ohio Mustangs since he carries the Daniel Carpenter grill.

I assumed I could tap into the lower turn signals for the sport lamps.

I just didn't know if there is anything I'm not thinking about with changing this stuff out, just wanted to be sure its a remove grill, add Mach 1 Grill, attach sport lamps wiring and its done.

While I have a few of your attention do any of you have a 71-73 Coupe with 17x8 wheels on your coupe, or 17x9.5 in the rear?

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne

Love your hood scoop, what is that from? Also I checked out the video on your car, sweet!!

so your running 18x9 on the front and they don't rub? I also love the 10's on the rear, do they hang over the fender wells?

Thanks. The scoop is from the 69 Mach1.

The wheels are well within the fender wells and don't rub.

The sockets for the sport lamps can be bought from napa for cheap. They may not be the original ones look wise but the side marker lights from a 70ish Lincoln continental uses sockets that fit and work.

Check the search function using the words "napa" or "sport lamps" and add my username on the right.

I posted a pic with the exact code visible on the box. You should be able to find it. I can't post the link because I'm only checking in on my phone right now.

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

Ray

How so? I have a '71 M-code w/toploader and am trying to

determine how much time and money to spend on a paint job.

Needs some body work and paint.

mike

spacer.png

Ray

I'm keeping it original for the most part, probably just taking off the vinyl top. If the top is the reason it has more value its easy to put back on. The one on it now isn't original anyway just a pretty good job. I just want more of the Sport Coupe look. The vinyl top I think makes it look odd. IMHO

mycars.JPG

mach1clubbanner2.jpg

Ok, here's the link for the lamp sockets.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-mach1-sport-lamps-sockets-available-from-napa?pid=41900#pid41900

The Boss 351 look on mine with painted extensions and chrome bumper:

attachment.php?aid=4593

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

Ok, here's the link for the lamp sockets.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-mach1-sport-lamps-sockets-available-from-napa?pid=41900#pid41900

The Boss 351 look on mine with painted extensions and chrome bumper:

attachment.php?aid=4593

Mike, I like the look, you might consider these fillers they finish off the bumper to fender and fill the gap

Item #D1ZZ-16554

71-72 FILLERS, FRONT BUMPER TO FENDER

Front bumper to fender fillers, pair. For cars with chrome front bumper.

Thanks Don.

They've been on my to do list for a long time but I always keep forgetting them when I order new stuff. Probably because they're not vital to the car's functioning.

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

Ray

How so? I have a '71 M-code w/toploader and am trying to

determine how much time and money to spend on a paint job.

Needs some body work and paint.

mike

Ray

I'm keeping it original for the most part, probably just taking off the vinyl top. If the top is the reason it has more value its easy to put back on. The one on it now isn't original anyway just a pretty good job. I just want more of the Sport Coupe look. The vinyl top I think makes it look odd. IMHO

My point was many Grandes and Hardtops get changed/modded or cannibalized for parts. I enjoy seeing and owning cars that are close to original (or at least appear to be close).

But I have also learned that many modded cars can be very desirable in their own right. But because owner changes and modifications are geared towards one owner's perspective, for most - I usually get lost with a few of the changes. To each his own.

And in all my years of owning and enjoying classic cars, I notice the ones that are closest to original condition seem to hold their value better.

There will always be exceptions to the rules. Some modded cars are changed and represent high levels of engineering and craftsmanship. Those cars will be easily identified as such and should command good value upon sale.

I too like the look of the Spring Special hardtops of 1971. So I can understand you wanting your car to look like that.

And I have always liked the high performance Hardtops and Grandes.

They are hard to ignore.

I can also appreciate the 6 cylinder cars now. Guess I'm getting old.

Back in tha day I wouldn't look twice at a non 4 barrel car...

Like everyone says, it is YOUR car to build/restore/mod as YOU wish.

Enjoy.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)