Going back to a Automatic C6

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm going to gringe my teeth if i get rid of this set up but i had fun with it and i didn't break anything. i need to do what i need to do.

its going to be strange if you guy this whole set up from me. its going to further you building my entire build-up in another car's frame. :D you already have my engine, radiator and rear brakes.

however, my engine will see a familiar face though. :p:p:p

I was thinking the same thing lol I'm rebuilding your car in tx
when are you coming back? i'll have this combination out after new years!!! i can ship out the smaller parts to your wife. she'll be able to handle everything besides the trans itself.

Are you building or sourcing out your C6, Olie?

I plan on hauling all the 545 parts up to Cuba, Missouri so that Dave Mclain can finally put it together and do the dyno testing in mid December. This is the motor that is going into "Fire", my '73 Mach 1. He is the closest I can find that I will trust (that has the taps and the experience) to install the screw in freeze plus in my 429SCJ block that I am using for the 545. I picked up a Broader C6 that is supposed to be good for 1000HP and that is what I am putting behind the 545 that is going into "Fire."

The '69 Mach 1 has come along to the point that I can probably pull the 428SCJ out of "Fire" to install in the '69. I have already converted the original "F" code to staggered shocks, installed a "Sure Fit" AC unit, welded in braces to the shock tower and made other suspensions mods to handle the 428...it should be a "Fun" street car and "better" than the original 428 1969 Mustangs:angel:

I didn't want to pull the 428 out of "Fire" or assemble the 545 until the '69 was far enough along as I didn't want the 545 sitting around too long. 2014 promises to be an EXCITING year!

BT

i have a correct bbf c6 in the backyard and i originaly just wanted to build that. i was going to have a company give me all the parts, and have them machine all the parts on the inside of the trans for rollerization but that was going to cost 1900. for another 500 they were just going to give me a core and they will dyno it. thats 500 well spent and not to mention with just the parts, i'll have to send it to them, have them ship it back and then have somebod else assemble for me for 500. and since i opted not to do the hardened input shaft it was 250 less. guys in the 460 forum says the stock input shaft is good to 800ft tq which i'm only at 650 and with even nitrous i'll barely hit 800. i think when i recam the motor, i think my HP will finally be higher than my TQ.

i am pretty happy with the motor. i already added 1.8 rockers to the way it came and now i'm also going to add a victor intake on it. that should wake up the motor since the torker II is bottlenecking the whole motor.

i was going to buy from broader but he never answers his phone and i only like to deal with guys who give some sort of military discount.

with the converter, i am going with a 9.5 inch all billet anti ballooning converter in the 4200'ish rpm range. it'll be limited street use so the 4200 stall should be ok and they say it'll act like a stock stall if i light throttle it.

Are you building or sourcing out your C6, Olie?

I plan on hauling all the 545 parts up to Cuba, Missouri so that Dave Mclain can finally put it together and do the dyno testing in mid December. This is the motor that is going into "Fire", my '73 Mach 1. He is the closest I can find that I will trust (that has the taps and the experience) to install the screw in freeze plus in my 429SCJ block that I am using for the 545. I picked up a Broader C6 that is supposed to be good for 1000HP and that is what I am putting behind the 545 that is going into "Fire."

The '69 Mach 1 has come along to the point that I can probably pull the 428SCJ out of "Fire" to install in the '69. I have already converted the original "F" code to staggered shocks, installed a "Sure Fit" AC unit, welded in braces to the shock tower and made other suspensions mods to handle the 428...it should be a "Fun" street car and "better" than the original 428 1969 Mustangs:angel:

I didn't want to pull the 428 out of "Fire" or assemble the 545 until the '69 was far enough along as I didn't want the 545 sitting around too long. 2014 promises to be an EXCITING year!

BT

I was thinking the same thing lol I'm rebuilding your car in tx
when are you coming back? i'll have this combination out after new years!!! i can ship out the smaller parts to your wife. she'll be able to handle everything besides the trans itself.
late april I'll be back

If I would be you Xoliex, I would consider by going with the hardened input shaft. If your engine is now in 650 ft-lbs range with some help of a juice your torque will definitely break the 800 lb-ft, probably closer to 900 lb-ft. The torque increase with the nitrous is usually bigger than the hp that you're making with the juice. Every engine reacts of course in it's own way, but with your size / hp engine it usually goes like 150 hp nitrous makes 200 lb-ft of torque. My friends 532 cid Ford was dynoed a month ago, it boosted the torque from n/a 638 ft-lbs to 939 ft-lbs with 250 shot of nitrous oxide so the increase was 301 ft-lbs with 250 NOS.

When you got the small shot of nitrous, you usually want a bigger shot of nitrous for the next time ;)

You'll be happy with the Victor Jr intake, it'll boost the higher rpm and it looks better than the Torker II :) For the tranny, I would built as good C6 that I can afford because you know the thrill... soon you're planning to hit the 1000 hp, so go big now and you'll be saving money in the future. My 2 cents.

i have a correct bbf c6 in the backyard and i originaly just wanted to build that. i was going to have a company give me all the parts, and have them machine all the parts on the inside of the trans for rollerization but that was going to cost 1900. for another 500 they were just going to give me a core and they will dyno it. thats 500 well spent and not to mention with just the parts, i'll have to send it to them, have them ship it back and then have somebod else assemble for me for 500. and since i opted not to do the hardened input shaft it was 250 less. guys in the 460 forum says the stock input shaft is good to 800ft tq which i'm only at 650 and with even nitrous i'll barely hit 800. i think when i recam the motor, i think my HP will finally be higher than my TQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
I SRONGLY agree with Jan (Finmach) Olie!

As I am sure you have come to realize, the faster or quicker you go, the faster and/or quicker you will want to go. Considering this, I would build or source the strongest C6 that I could afford as it can only compliment the well thought components that have gone into your build so far:).

...my $.02.

BT

If I would be you Xoliex, I would consider by going with the hardened input shaft. If your engine is now in 650 ft-lbs range with some help of a juice your torque will definitely break the 800 lb-ft, probably closer to 900 lb-ft. The torque increase with the nitrous is usually bigger than the hp that you're making with the juice. Every engine reacts of course in it's own way, but with your size / hp engine it usually goes like 150 hp nitrous makes 200 lb-ft of torque. My friends 532 cid Ford was dynoed a month ago, it boosted the torque from n/a 638 ft-lbs to 939 ft-lbs with 250 shot of nitrous oxide so the increase was 301 ft-lbs with 250 NOS.

When you got the small shot of nitrous, you usually want a bigger shot of nitrous for the next time ;)

You'll be happy with the Victor Jr intake, it'll boost the higher rpm and it looks better than the Torker II :) For the tranny, I would built as good C6 that I can afford because you know the thrill... soon you're planning to hit the 1000 hp, so go big now and you'll be saving money in the future. My 2 cents.

jari, whats up man. yeah, i gave it a further thought and i called them up and re-inputed the vasco hardened input shaft. also, they are building my converter. its going to be a 9.5 inch with 4200stall in it. its going to be a full billet piece with anti ballooning plate. it should rock at both the track and strip.

yeah, i made 651tq on the dyno when it had 1.7 rockers, a loose lash and no stud girdle. since then, i added a stud girdle, tightened the lash to the tightest .006 and added 1.8 rockers. the motor showed alot of more grunt and ET when i just added the lash and girdle. with the 1.8 rockers i added about .035 lift and 2 degrees timing. the motor actually wanted another 100-150rpms at idle to live now too. so who knows, i could be making another 20-30ft tq more and another 10hp.

hell, i haven't even put on the victor intake on yet which was bottlenecking my motor to begin with. so i could easily be at 650hp and 675tq soon enough with minor tweaks.

good call guys, i called it in before its too late. the trans build is 2450 with a transbrake, full rollerization, race clutches, billet R servo, E lever and the whole 9 yards. the converter cost 1125 but gave me the military cost of 925 which is the normal price for a good custom converter one step lower.

so there goes more than 3600 on another tranny setup shipped. so now you guys know why i'm selling off my entire tko600 setup.

I SRONGLY agree with Jan (Finmach) Olie!

As I am sure you have come to realize, the faster or quicker you go, the faster and/or quicker you will want to go. Considering this, I would build or source the strongest C6 that I could afford as it can only compliment the well thought components that have gone into your build so far:).

...my $.02.

BT
yup, i didn't think about the well thought out process when i did the tko600 deal. :) at the time i just wanted to be a street bruiser and cruise but i got hooked at the track. but i still want to bruise the streets sometimes so i'm keeping a happy medium.

Last edited:
Xoliex, good decision! I would have done the same. I know, you know it, you won't settle on 800 hp with the juice, you can now tell your wife how much you just saved money!!! ;)

Just think why I wanted a TKO600... just for the same reasons as you did - though I would stay under 600hp, it's sweet ride, 2000 rpm at 60 mph. Plus the testosterone shot when shifting the beast. It's not the easyest thing when hammering on the quarter - you'll need to drive it's stolen - no mercy at all. For dragstip action an automatic would be much more constant and it's bunch cheaper to built to handle big power and it's easy to cruise down the street. Heck, even I might change from manual to automatic, maybe when I retire some day... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
well, the entire manual trans setup is gone out of the car. the engine plate and flexplate are installed. i'm just awaiting a friend to help me bench press the transmission up there.

Latest posts

Back