Burtex speckled trunk mat - fit at the sides

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spechti

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 (under restoration), 1973 Lincoln Mark IV (show boat)
Hi guys,

I have bought a burtex trunk mat from ACC for my Mach 1. The mat was originally not available for the Mach from the factory, but i think it was for the Grande Coupe.

Since this stuff is very protective for the trunk floor, I chose the higher quality burtex mat over the cheaper vinyl one.

It looks good when in the trunk, but I noticed the mat flapping down in the ouboard right and left trunk wells.

Was there some kind of stiffening or cardboard used on the cars trimmed with the mat or with carpet to make it laying flat in those areas and not hanging down? Does anyone have a picture of the side areas on a carpet or mat equipped car?

Thanks.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Ford had anything that held up the dropoff areas.

I know I could always count on a screwdriver or can of wax finding their way to that area...

A guy could make a wooden shelf tapered to drop in there. I'd want to paint it just to seal the wood. Then you could simply allow the material to cover your new 'shelf'.

Good luck and post up some pics if you decide to do something similar.

Ray

That's exactly the point. I do not want small things in the trunk to fall in there and become forgotten.

I think, I will make some simple wood construction that will fit in there and place the mat on top.

Here are some photos of the area as is. I will also post some more whe I have made a cover or reinforcement or whatever...

DSC02372.JPG

DSC02370.JPG

DSC02368.JPG

Hi guys,

I have bought a burtex trunk mat from ACC for my Mach 1. The mat was originally not available for the Mach from the factory, but i think it was for the Grande Coupe.

Since this stuff is very protective for the trunk floor, I chose the higher quality burtex mat over the cheaper vinyl one.

It looks good when in the trunk, but I noticed the mat flapping down in the ouboard right and left trunk wells.

Was there some kind of stiffening or cardboard used on the cars trimmed with the mat or with carpet to make it laying flat in those areas and not hanging down? Does anyone have a picture of the side areas on a carpet or mat equipped car?

Thanks.

Michael
Hi Michael,

You can buy pre cut and shaped mild steel panels that go into these areas.

They are not expensive to buy.

I bought two for my '73 Convertible, but decided not to use them in the end. I think Don from Ohio Mustang sells them, or if not, try C J Pony.

Also, check out Austin Verts trunk makeover thread i posted. You may find it interesting.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-trunk-makeover-project

Hope that helps,

Greg.:)

Thanks for the hint.

Do you know the item name for those boards or covers?

Do you have a link or a picture?

CJ Pony Parts has a full trunk carpet kit that has those 'fiber boards' Greg spoke of... but they're part of the kit itself. I haven't seen them advertised for sale individually (or apart from the carpet kits).

Your best bet would be to make some patterns with cardboard, then get some masonite (fiberboard) for the real deal. You'll also need to secure those pieces to the trunk floor somehow to make sure they don't just fall into the "rear quarter panel black holes" themselves. ;)

I did a similar thing with my '95 Honda Civic hatchback - I wanted a cargo-area cover, but didn't want to spend a ton of money on the special one that came with the Si model... so I made one with the masonite and a roll of automotive carpet from Pep Boys. Cost me something like $19 (including carpet, masonite, and the spray adhesive to stick it all together).

In my 72 coupe (back in the 80's) I had one of those mats. I solved the issue you are having by trimming the mat to stop at the trunk floor dropoffs. sectioning the quarter in that car was probably worse than just replacing the whole panel, but in the 80's this thing called the internet hadn't yet been invented by Al Gore and finding information and parts was much harder.

If you see a Mustang with rust, this area is frequently a problem area. Enclosing it isn't the solution. When I purchased my Mach 1 it also had a mat, which I promptly threw in the garbage. I drilled drain holes in my Mach 1 rather than letting water that makes its way into the trunk have a place to pool. Then I changed my trunk weatherstripping. ;)

Thanks for the hint.

Do you know the item name for those boards or covers?

Do you have a link or a picture?
Michael,

Yes, i can help you here with details. I bought mine (left and right sides) from C J Pony parts. Here is a direct link to the product ----

If you decide to buy this product, can i give you a friendly tip.

When you go to install and secure the plates, do so in a manner that you can come along any time later and remove them easily at will. This will enable you to carry out inspection, service and maintenence when you choose to.

That would be a smart move as you don't want any water or rust issues happening at the bottom of the inner quarter panels.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/trunk-drop-off-driver-side-1971-1973/p/M409L/

Hope that Helps,

In my 72 coupe (back in the 80's) I had one of those mats. I solved the issue you are having by trimming the mat to stop at the trunk floor dropoffs. sectioning the quarter in that car was probably worse than just replacing the whole panel, but in the 80's this thing called the internet hadn't yet been invented by Al Gore and finding information and parts was much harder.

If you see a Mustang with rust, this area is frequently a problem area. Enclosing it isn't the solution. When I purchased my Mach 1 it also had a mat, which I promptly threw in the garbage. I drilled drain holes in my Mach 1 rather than letting water that makes its way into the trunk have a place to pool. Then I changed my trunk weatherstripping. ;)
Hi Jeff,

I hear what you are saying here and i agree with you.

However, i think the steel plates are a good idea to extend your floor area, but yes bad drainage / water pooling/ and leading to rust is something you don't want.

I have factory drain holes and rubber bungs located at the bottom of my inner quarter panels that would let any water drain successfully, but the holes need to be inspected occasionally to make sure they are not clogged up.

When installing the metal floor extension panels, make sure they can easily be removed for inspection purposses. I believe the big problem for most people, is they treat the trunk area as a forgotten no man's land mostly, and never give it a look over at all. If you have any leak issues with water getting into your trunk, and the water can't get away,you're going to end up with rust issues for sure before too long.

Hi all,

since the car is thorougly restored and the dropoff area is media blasted, epoxy primererd, painted and the lower part of them is protected with a wax, rust is not a problem. All gaskets, drain hole vents and trunk weatherstripping is new.

Plus, the car is not being driven in rainy weather and is stored in a grarage all year long.

I think I will fabricate a cover from Masonite or ABS plastic or fiberglass that the mat can lay on. I'll show pics when I have made a pair.

Michael,

Yes, i can help you here with details. I bought mine (left and right sides) from C J Pony parts. Here is a direct link to the product ----

When you go to install and secure the plates, do so in a manner that you can come along any time later and remove them easily at will. This will enable you to carry out inspection, service and maintenence when you choose to.

That would be a smart move as you don't want any water or rust issues happening at the bottom of the inner quarter panels.

Hope that Helps,

I might've missed something, but I think he's looking for something solid to extend out from the main trunk pan to support the flappy parts of the cover/mat and prevent things from dropping down into the "lower quarter panel black holes."

Those metal trunk pan drop-offs are good parts (bought some myself), but not what he's looking for. His trunk looks like it's actually in really nice shape.

Good information to have, regardless. ::thuimb::

Michael,

Hope that Helps,

I might've missed something, but I think he's looking for something solid to extend out from the main trunk pan to support the flappy parts of the cover/mat and prevent things from dropping down into the "lower quarter panel black holes."

Those metal trunk pan drop-offs are good parts (bought some myself), but not what he's looking for. His trunk looks like it's actually in really nice shape.

Hi Eric,

Now i'm a touch confused. I did not mention it before, but yes, you can of course cut to shape,and make your own floor drop offs out of materials such as ply board, masonite, rigid plastic, hard cardboard,solid timber, fibreglass etc.(whatever you personally like and choose)

I was reccomending and drawing reference to the pre cut metal ones from C J Pony as an example of a product you could use,that was purpose pre made, cheap,strong, and ready to go for fairly easy installation to suit that application. These metal products are meant to be used as trunk floor extensions to cover the drop off cavities between the trunk floor and the quarter panel walls are they not? (what you call the "lower quarter panel black holes")

That was my understanding of what Michael was chasing information about.

Did i get anything wrong there?

The metal parts you listed are trunk floor drop offs. They are the vertical part that forms the inner wall of the "black hole on each side of the trunk.

You could trim them and use them in a manner that accomplished the goal of covering that area, but a scrap of sheet metal trimmed and with a few beads rolled into it for some stiffness could easily be fabricated for next to nothing.

Yes. Jeff's correct.

Here's a pic of mine when I was putting the rear end back together. You can see the piece clearly as I was test-fitting and installing.

479873_388260611184863_269712301_n.jpg

Repeat after Mister 4x4 "Yes. Jeff's correct."

Repeat often and publicly
Hi Jeff & Eric,

Did i get anything wrong there? Man is that an understatement!!!!

Oh boy!!, I owe you both an apology. Do you ever get that feeling that you've just a made a complete fool of yourself. Well that's me now.

Due to my ignorance, i did not realise what these panels were really intended for in the first place.:rolleyes: I have been a stupid boy havn't i!!

Very sorry guys, and Michael also and to the other forum members.

Jeff is correct, Jeff is correct, Jeff is correct, Jeff is correct, Jeff is correct, Jeff is correct, Jeff is correct!

Greg.:(

Repeat after Mister 4x4 "Yes. Jeff's correct."

Repeat often and publicly
Hi Jeff & Eric,

Did i get anything wrong there? Man is that an understatement!!!!

Oh boy!!, I owe you both an apology. Do you ever get that feeling that you've just a made a complete fool of yourself. Well that's me now.

Due to my ignorance, i did not realise what these panels were really intended for in the first place.:rolleyes: I have been a stupid boy havn't i!!

Very sorry guys, and Michael also and to the other forum members.

Jeff is correct, Jeff is correct, Jeff is correct, Jeff is correct, Jeff is correct, Jeff is correct, Jeff is correct!

Greg.:(
Psst... Greg. Ain't nothin' there - don't beat yourself up, man - no 'stupid boys,' no 'fools,' no nada. 'Tis nothing, and no apologies necessary. :cool:

As for the whole "Jeff is correct" thing... I only do it now and then to shut him up so he'll move along to pick on someone else. rofl

We're good, Brother! ::thumb::

Mister 4x4

Eric - me too but you cleared it up. ::goodjob::

And thanks for your masonite idea!

Ray

It is no big deal, hell I should thank you for allowing me to display my "superior intellect" to quote Khan Noonien Singh from "Space Seed"

I could see how the parts in question could easily be used to accomplish the goal of blocking the "black holes" but rigid mounting them could potentially cause some print through on the quarter panel as a result of chassis flex I would think. The contour would need to be altered some, but would be easily done with a grinder and a cut off wheel.

:D :D :D

Back