New Glove box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 H Code Convertible
Hi all. I bought a Classic Auto Air perfect fit kit for my 73 Convertible. The car is originally a factory air car, but I don't think that matters for this post. The kit to my surprise had a new glove box in it, and it was a vacuum formed plastic which I think will be a lot more durable than the cardboard replacements. I don't have a part number but I assume if you call them they would sell it to you separately.

Here's what it looks like installed:

100_0106.JPG

100_0107.JPG

100_0108.JPG

100_0109.JPG

Hope this helps someone.

Greg

That is wild they would do that...But it looks nice and durable!!

Thinking about doing something custom to mine glove box.....I never use the glove box in my stang..always put everything in the console..lol

Does someone sell these separate?
I have never seen one in all my searching. Pretty sure they made this for their kits and not available elsewhere. I was surprised it was included, I really have no idea why they made it. I have a Camaro kit from them and in that case it is shorter than the original to accommodate AC on a non AC car. But since our cars have the same glove box regardless it doesn't make a lot of sense. The only thing I can think of is that the used an AC car for their template and assumed it had a shorter box, then replicated it.

Greg

I have never seen one in all my searching. Pretty sure they made this for their kits and not available elsewhere. I was surprised it was included, I really have no idea why they made it. I have a Camaro kit from them and in that case it is shorter than the original to accommodate AC on a non AC car. But since our cars have the same glove box regardless it doesn't make a lot of sense. The only thing I can think of is that the used an AC car for their template and assumed it had a shorter box, then replicated it.

Greg
Nice little number there Greg. I too just had a Classic Air system installed in my '73, bought a new short cardboard one and had it carpet lined. Came out well,but as you say, there's no substitute for the more rigid durable plastic one.

BTW - The only thing i'm disappointed about my Aircon from Classic is it seems to me to be rather gutless for blowing out a powerful enough airstream - even on full fan speed.

What do you think of my critisism about that?

Greg.:)

BTW - The only thing i'm disappointed about my Aircon from Classic is it seems to me to be rather gutless for blowing out a powerful enough airstream - even on full fan speed.

I knew what I was getting into, as I have the same system in my Camaro. For an all in one unit I don't think there's anything better. The difference between the factory cage fan and this system is huge, pardon the pun:)

These are all a little like how Jeremy Clarkson describes the AC systems in an old Lamborghini "It's as though there were a small mouse inside blowing at you, pfff pfff" :):)

Greg

I knew what I was getting into, as I have the same system in my Camaro. For an all in one unit I don't think there's anything better. The difference between the factory cage fan and this system is huge, pardon the pun:)

These are all a little like how Jeremy Clarkson describes the AC systems in an old Lamborghini "It's as though there were a small mouse inside blowing at you, pfff pfff" :):)

Greg
Thanks Greg,

I see what you mean.:p:p

But i find that interesting how they would get that wrong, given that the rest of it seems spot on in fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was pleased to discover the plastic 'box in my kit as well. I was totally dreading the whole cardboard glove box insert, and was planning on just fabbing something out of sheet metal.

Now - me's a happy camper! ::thumb::

I was wondering the same thing, then it came to me.

Go to Walmart and for $2.97 you can get a 18qt black (or other color) plastic bin. I think a rectangular plastic trash can would work better and as soon as I find one I will be redoing mine. Take the glove box out and the door off. Cut enough of the height off to slide into the opening. Trace the dash and cut to length. Pull the trim piece off your old cardboard one (staples) and put it back on to finish the outside edge and screw it back in. I cut mine a bit too short and may be redoing it. It is very apparent in the photo but not at all visible from either seat (unless you know you cut it too short and stare at it every time you open the glove box) A relief cut to the bin was needed in the corners to get the trim piece back in but it is below the trim piece and can not be seen.

IMG_20140403_073816.jpgIMG_20140403_073719.jpg

Greg
Greg,

Glove box is bigger on non AC cars, so your old box would not have fit.

After having a cardboard unit in my Jeep (and scoring a plastic one from 4WD Hardware), I'm happy to have the plastic one. I think I'll probably put some RaaMat on the backside of it, to reduce the 'plasticky' sound of stuff bumping around in it (who knows what will wind up in there...).

Greg
Greg,

Glove box is bigger on non AC cars, so your old box would not have fit.
It would have as my car was an original AC car:) I put this kit in because I was sick of working on the old system, though it had a fan with much more volume as has been noted in other threads. I assume they just copied an AC car's box.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thge bottom edge of the new glove box insert does not appear to have the finished/molded plastic edge like the cardboard original

Back