convert my points distributor?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
On my '73 Mach-1, I'm still running points. I can't afford a new distributor right now (MSD), but what do you think of the Pertronix Ignitor or Ignitor II? Was it easy to do? It's there a better alternative?

I used the crane xri kit. It has a built in rev limiter that can be adjusted unlike the igniter and igniter 2. I had no problems, just make sure you get a good 12 v source and coil. I'll sell you it if interested, I went full msd for my new setup. Used it only for about 6 months.

Maybe I'm confused. I thought there was something that I change inside my existing distributer that gets rid of the points. It's that not how it works?

You just pretty much take the cap off, take the points and condenser out then screw on the new unit. And wire it to the coil. Done

Oh ok.. can it be done with the distributor in the car?

I put the Pertronix in, with the distributor in the car. Very easy to do. I did also use the Pertronix coil. Just follow the instruction sheet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caz, if you search function the forums you will find weeks of info on pertronix, and their site also. The most important part of the swap is choose the correct coil with the module you buy. The P1 is different than P2, as is the wiring! But if i were to do it over i would have done a conversion to Duraspark. Lots of those parts available used but a little more involved. The cheapest and easiest for you today would be a Ptrnx 1 and a screwdriver. Less than $80 bucks and you can use your existing coil if i remember correctly.

I've always heard good things and was initially planning on going Pertronix, until I read-up on Duraspark conversions (and went that way, instead). The main reasons involved retaining a 'stock' distributor (size, etc., to still work with a factory Ram-Air set-up) and availability of parts (all components are available at local parts stores). I've also seen Pertronix modules at our local O'Reilly Auto Parts stores, but in limited quantities (i.e., only 1 P3 module or 1 P1 module at a time). I haven't checked the others.

However, all said and done the Duraspark conversion can run almost as much as an MSD or other high performance dizzy (if you go in for the NPD conversion harness - which isn't absolutely necessary, but simplifies things). Without the NPD conversion harness, you're looking at little bit more money than Pertronix, with some rewiring and swapping the distributor iteself involved, as well as finding a place for the Duraspark module to go.

For cheap, and "less-complicated," I'd go with a Pertronix module.

I also went with Duraspark for teh same reasons as Eric... Wanted a stock distributor to fit under a Ram Air cleaner. The prior owner of my car had installed a generic HEI distributor than was bigger than the empire state building. SO I had no choice but to install a different distributor. So my options were to either get an OEM points distributor abd use a Pertronics insert, or just go full blown Duraspark.

I went the Pertronix Ignitor 1 with Flamethrower Coil and it is totally worth it on the cheap. Easy to install in the car no need to remove the distributor. Runs, starts and drives better all around. Mister 4x4 is correct though after some reading the Duraspark(Better More Complicated) or Pertronix 1(Cheaper Uncomplicated) is the way to go.

Keep in mind the later Pertronix 2 and 3 have been known to have issues with our setups. The Ignitor 1 seems to be the most compatible plug and play setup for our cars if you go that direction.

Mister 4x4 is correct though after some reading the Duraspark(Better More Complicated) or Pertronix 1(Cheaper Uncomplicated) is the way to go.

Keep in mind the later Pertronix 2 and 3 have been known to have issues with our setups. The Ignitor 1 seems to be the most compatible plug and play setup for our cars if you go that direction.
I don't know if the Duraspark is any or less 'better,' per se... just seems easier [to me] to replace the module box if it ever goes bad, than digging a dead one out of the bottom of the dizzy. ;) :D

Good info on the P2/P3 - I'd read there were issues with the Ignitor 2, and some (but not all) were resolved with the Ignitor 3 - and I believe they were factory tachometer-related. Ignitor 1 is definitely the way to go.

Be advised, no matter which way you go, there will be some cosiderations to be had regarding the factory tachometer. Just gotta read-up and make the best decision for your car based on the informtion you find.

Good luck!

When my Mustang and Bronco used to be carbureted, I only ever used Mallory Ignition Unilite distributors on my Fords and found them to be rock solid reliable and easy to adjust. The optical diode trigger is ideal from a durability and accuracy standpoint. I had run one in my Bronco for over 10 years in very rough conditions and my Mustang had been running one since 1993 (20 years).

If you need to adjust the spark curve, it's pretty easy to do with a Mallory. Additionally, you can run their HEI cap which is pretty compact and includes the lockdown for the plug wires.

I also went to the Ford Duraspark II distributor, I like the large cap and it is easy to mount the module out of view -- mine is under the windshield washer reservoir. It should also be easy to find parts in the future, e.g., I should be able to go to any auto-parts store to get parts -- if necessary.

From all the reading I have done about the Duraspark I/II Ignition it was a factory Ford high power ignition. The very reason it is a common replacement for the points ignition on many classic Ford vehicles. I have had alot more luck with OEM factory upgrades as far as reliability goes. As was said previous parts availability is also easy. Personally with my Pertronix I have the factory points in a baggy in the glovebox just in case.

You never need replacement parts for a Mallory. Mainly because there are no moving or wearable parts except the cap and rotor, which are readily available anywhere.

Good to know.. thanks everyone

Mike

Back