Hello

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

masshysteria

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1
Hello fellow mustang owners. Before i start I would like to say that in the 80's and 90's our cars were the most disrespected of all mustangs. I say that only because mustang 2's were not even acknowledged....like if our cars were the black sheep the 74-78's were outright disowned. Things are different now. The third gen mustangs (or are they still first gen?) are appearing everywhere in movies and video games, and people are discovering that if you cant afford to shell out fifty thousand dollars but still want an honest to goodness muscle car era mustang you can still get one.

My car is a 1973 Mach 1, 351c 2v, fmx trans, factory air, Mustang that was originally Ivy glo with avocado interior. In 1986 the previous owner started on on some misguided bodywork, and replaced the interior. He also put some "brand new" (his words when i bought it despite them being pitted with all the chrome flaking off)Cragar S/S rims with fresh tires on it. There it sat till i picked it up in 2006. Dry rotted tires and yellow interior. No trunk pan to speak of. Yellow primer, and hole cut in the console with a utility knife to mount a trak auto horn button. None the less i have a fastback v8 mustang, and if there was any doubt that this car was mine i found a set of temp tags in the glove box that expired on the very day i was born in 1980.

Being a man of vision(or perhaps a hoarding problem), before i even knew of my car I accumulated 10 years worth of ford parts, and as such i have trouble deciding which direction i want to go with this. I have no less than 4 choices of engines to slam in the engine bay that could be in and fired up in a week or two. (5.0L gt40p engine, the 351c thats in it, a 71 400 from a LTD, or a 429 also from a 71 LTD) That is what brings me here. Hopefully with the help of like minded folks I can make up my mind for once.

The main issues at hand though are it needs a whole new interior, a new trunk and anything that is rubber needs replacing, other than that its actually quite complete.

So once again hello and i look forward to getting to know some new people.

Engine choice or should I say choice's.....are you sticking with the FMX? If you are I would go with either the 302 or the 351.

or do you want to get into new springs and shocks with the 429?

Ken

WELCOME aboard!

It sounds as if you have a really good "start", no matter which engine approach you decide to take. Since your car has factory AC, it would have come originally with the heavy duty cooling (radiator) and as a 351 car, it should already have the big block springs.

I believe you have come to a "good place" as there are many on this Site who have used one (or more) of the engine approaches you cited at one time or another. I am sure you will find all the support that you might need.

Again, Welcome and I look forward to interacting with you on the Forums.

BT

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you aboard! You are right about the 71-73's! Our little niche will soon be the next big thing! :D

Welcome to the fun. If its a Sunday driver I say the 429, but if it's going to get out of the garage more than that I'd say the 351. Just my 2 cents.. Welcome to the best Site for the 71-73's around. What a great bunch of people here.

::welcome:: Sounds like you have a nice project with a lot of options. I think it was cobra who said decide how you are going to use the car and go from there.

Welcome to the club, MassHysteria! As others have said, let us know how you plan to use the car. Drag strip, daily driver, or weekend cruiser? Once you've decided that, it will be easier to choose an engine. I love Clevelands, and I'm in the process of rebuilding my 351C 2V with the FMX. Let us know how you see yourself using your ride, and we'll be happy to share our opinions.

Glad to have you here!

Doc

Ideally I would be able to get 30mpg on the highway, run 11s in the quarter, and pull 2g on the skid-pad (I know I know, i dont want much do I). I would like to be able to go distance driving with a trans-am or road racing inspired theme.

I hate to use the term but I like the "pro-touring" approach of maximizing all around performance. I want to drive the car as much as possible and have air-conditioning, a stereo, and power-steering.

Other details i left out are, whatever motor i go with it is getting fuel injection (via megasquirt, the 5.0L has the complete factory setup intact). Transmission choices are a 03 v6 (small block pattern) 4r70w, the fmx (small block pattern) that is in it, and a big block pattern c6. I would like a manual transmission but it is not an option at this time.

Thank you all for the warm welcome

Welcome MASSHYSTERIA,

Good to have you along for the ride. We are all anxious to see the pictures - the good, the bad, the just plain ugly. I am all for keeping the 351C in its place. To me the car and the motor go together - the epitome of what a Mach 1 is.

Either way you have made a good choice - the car and to be part of the site.

Hello, you are rigth about the aproach to our pride and joy, but its because they like secretary cars as Mr. Caroll Shelby said, and maybe that´s because theres no american Shelbys or Cobras in 71-73, they are manly enough rigth the way they are out of the plant.

Sorry for the gramar.

Ideally I would be able to get 30mpg on the highway, run 11s in the quarter, and pull 2g on the skid-pad.
:Rofl:

Me too! Let me know the formula when you find it. I saw a great signature line someone had... My car is a hybrid 71 model, it burn gas and rubber!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back