Pictures of neglect, my 73 coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizzdizz

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang, 250 I6, 3sp on the floor, needs total resto
I posted in the intro section earlier, but just got some more photos of my 73 when visiting my folks' place so I thought I'd share.

I was sad to see that the once good-condition headliner has bit the dust, but other than that and a tear in the passenger seat, the interior is in better shape than I had remembered. Of course the infested carpet will need to be replaced, too.

My hope with this car is to slowly dig into it once my wife and I find a place with a garage. The 250 i6 blew the head gasket when I had it at school thirteen years ago, and being a poor student I couldn't afford to fix it, so it got towed home. A year later I did the head gasket, but was pretty inexperienced and didn't get it quite right. I drove it up and down the street for a bit, until tone of the ujoints busted and dropped the drive shaft. That was a long push home.

Life happened in the years since, and I'm finally at a place where my other auto hobbies (jeeps, 4x4s) are less appealing, and I'd like to get more into something my wife can enjoy too, as she loves old cars and shows, and hates jeeps and jeeping.

With any luck, we'll find a place with a garage next summer (hard to do in the Bay Area $$$) and I hope to bring it home and give it some love.

Wow this story got long. Anyway, the vinyl top is shot, but the only rust I found so far is around the tail lights, a
ypetu7ys.jpg
gegaqyga.jpg
4utedygu.jpg
small spot on the a pillar, and a couple pinholes on one of the lower fenders. I know the trunk floor is rusty, but really, that's not all that bad. Who knows what it'll look like once the areas are exposed though.

The engine bay is SCARY. Rats nests take up ever square inch of open space, which, on a 250 is quite a lot of space. That'll be fun.
2ytuqa8a.jpg
evusebyj.jpg
yqe7eje5.jpg
ve7utene.jpg
y8e9aquh.jpg
y6ahezy3.jpg
tyqybabu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This car is so worth saving. I would take steps to stop it's deterioration as soon as possible. 1st plug that rust hole. 2nd give it a good cleaning.3rd get up on block or park on pavement.4th get a good car cover for it. Don't let it get any worse. I let my car sit in my back yard 12 years before I got to it. Let me tell you how bummed I am now that some parts that were cherry when I parked it are trash now.

We have replaced most of the interior and new engine, exhaust and other parts over the 7 years

I have owned it. The car is a daily driver and all that is left is some body work and paint.

I must say your car's body is in better shape than mine. Your car is worth the effort.

mike

'71 Grande

I'm a coupe guy here in a world of Mach 1s but personally, I'd part it out and dump the car. I hate to be the gloom and doom guy but addressing the rust is going to cost a significant amount of $$$ as will a new 302/351 and all the other stuff like steering, brakes and the rear end that are probably shot as well.

Save yourself the time, effort and $ - just get a 71-73 coupe in good shape and start from there. Hell, I'd even keep the yellow one for a parts car.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't do a good part of the work yourself and have to rely on costly California Bay Area shops to do the work, it'll cost you more than buying an already completed 71-73 coupe. But you have to factor in the sentimental value to determine which path to take, then again I'm wondering if your your 73 coupe is one of the rare ones outfitted as it is, that would give you a return on the investment???

If you chose to tackle the project and bring it back to life, there are plenty of people here who will provide advice and recommendations that'll save you time and money.

Jim

any investment return i consider is the enjoyment i get between showing it and driving it.

As for outer rust is like an iceberg, is a lot hidden from sight. See my album pp. 2-6.

I'm a coupe guy here in a world of Mach 1s but personally, I'd part it out and dump the car. I hate to be the gloom and doom guy but addressing the rust is going to cost a significant amount of $$$ as will a new 302/351 and all the other stuff like steering, brakes and the rear end that are probably shot as well.

Save yourself the time, effort and $ - just get a 71-73 coupe in good shape and start from there. Hell, I'd even keep the yellow one for a parts car.
I like coupes, too, but am going to be restoring a Mach 1. Tizzdizz's car has some significant rust problems, but they can be fixed. Parting the car out may be an option, but there is a sentimental attachment to this car. It may be worthwhile to buy a 110V MIG welder (I have an Eastwood 135) and take a welding class at a local community college or VoTech school. Then take your time and fix the rust. I hope he does take the time to repair the rust and not just part it out. We need to save these old Coupes, too.

If you can't do a good part of the work yourself and have to rely on costly California Bay Area shops to do the work, it'll cost you more than buying an already completed 71-73 coupe. But you have to factor in the sentimental value to determine which path to take, then again I'm wondering if your your 73 coupe is one of the rare ones outfitted as it is, that would give you a return on the investment???

If you chose to tackle the project and bring it back to life, there are plenty of people here who will provide advice and recommendations that'll save you time and money.

Jim
My advice. Empty the fuel tank and disconnect the fuel lines before attempting to replace the floor pans. You will probably want to remove the fuel tank, too, just so it can be cleaned, and that's not a bad idea. My 73 coupe wound up being a crispy critter and got parted out. It was a sad day when they hauled off the carcass.

My wife also like this ones large body and roomieness where on a warm day w/no over cast the sky is thew limit for head room. Also w/the installation of all around power disc and the lower alternate lower rear axle ratio too. It does not have a good rap w/wife on past glitches but she likes looking at it at car shows/parks/local cruises.

Reason why had it this long is because wife is interested in the convertible model re see my profile and photo album.

I like the Grande..... an old friend of mine since I was 5, got one in high school ...his parents put a set of Cragers on it for him to give it the "cool guy" look. That car smelled of incense from day one... I bet he smoked a truck load of pot in that thing :whistling: we probably drank two truck loads of beer in it. He was so proud of it and drove it like he would make her last forever, never hot rod it....just cruise.

Remember me? Probably not lol! But I do have an update. Realized that I never replied to this thread, but I did read all of your helpful comments. Well, the day has finally come. My wife and I signed the lease on our new house in Sacramento, about 2 hours removed from the more expensive Bay Area.

We have other financial obligations right now, but I finally have a GARAGE of my very own. First time in my adult life. So I need to find a way to get this banana to my place for not much $$ so I can start grinding away the rust. I'm not afraid of some hard work, and I have welded some. I have several friends who weld pretty well, so I should be able to deal with most of the rust issues, as long as I have patience.

The plan is to get her on inflatable tires, as the current ones are all flat. Used, whatever works for cheap. Just need some rollers so I can move her to her new home and get to work! Then I'll do a deep cleaning, remove the rats nests both INSIDE and OUTSIDE the car. Then out comes the interior for careful inspection and minor repairs. Any real parts buying will be down the road.

I'll deal with rust issues one spot at a time.

Anyway I just wanted to re-introduce myself and post some more pictures. Car hasn't moved yet, as we are still in the process of moving house. But soon...

Click for the full album

2jaydrk.jpg

2r4sxlz.jpg

Well my dad has a tow dolly, so I really only need 2 good tires I guess, but I don't want to risk using these old dry rotted ones for a 150 mile trip. Anyway, I'm trying to be frugal so that I can actually make this happen. This move cost a lot of money, and we're saving for some other big life-changing things so this will probably progress slow.

Just looked up the vin # and vehicle codes. It's all original, engine, transmission, paint, interior, everything. Obviously in not-so-great condition, but it's nice to know that it was all original when I bought it.

It has the 250 I6 with 3 speed manual and a 3.00 axle ratio. I wish I knew for sure but I may be only the second or third owner.

Wow this car must have some great memories for you to want to do all that work. I know we need to save as many as we can but they just do not make dollar sense sometimes. I am struggling with parting and crushing a 72 H code convertible that was loaded with options. I do not have the time to redo this one and all the others I have. I do wish someone would take it had to crush it but no interest here.

Good luck and take lots of pictures when you take apart you will struggle when going back together without them.

David

Glad to see you back, and able to finally get started! ::thumb::

"Everything" is restorable - mine is living proof. ;) :D

Back