New Guy Auto Tech Instructor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canudigit

Reaction score
My Car
68 country sedan 390 fmx
Hello Everyone!

I joined this forum because I purchased a 68 Ford Country sedan with a 390 and an FMX. My HS students have been working on getting this thing back on the road and we discovered the transmission had been grenanded before. I went on the hunt for a good forum with plenty of info on the FMX rebuild with pictures for the students to dig into in their efforts to piece a good trans together. I picked up two FMX trans from Paul in Delaware and they happened to be out of his 72 351 Mustang and one out of a 73 351 Mustang that was wrecked and picked for parts. The kids have gone through the bad trans and taken out the shift linkage and the long tail shaft, and cleaned up as much of the parts as possible to use in the FrankenTrans.

We've run into a few snags with parts being slightly damaged from the original trans and not knowing where some of the parts belong. We have the OEM Ford service manual, but it is not clear where some of these parts go. I have been using Machmeter1's thread to help ID pictures of the parts and show the students (http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-overhaul-of-a-ford-fmx-transmission), but I havent been able to find out where some of the parts go. Maybe someone can help! I hope to get this thing fired up and have my students practice using the forum as a source of information and experience.

fmx.JPG

I fixed my FMX issues by swapping in an AOD. Does that qualify me as an "FMX Guru?" rofl

Seriously - welcome... and good luck. ::thumb::

Welcome to the forum. First things first...I want to see pics of the wagon. I'm kind of fond of them but the wife says no way to another car! :s

Welcome to the site from Virginia. It's great to hear about more members of the younger generation learning and taking interest in classic cars. Keep up the good work.

Make sure you teach them what a carburetor is!

Welcome to the group from Houston Texas! Glad to hear your teaching them right with American Iron.

I'm not a fmx guru, but I've built almost all the others. The newer AOD and AODE series overdrive trans are the successors of the FMX. I can't see the picture well on my phone but I'll take a look later.

Here is a teaser until canudigit post some pics. My wife hates wagons but I really like them especially with some nice wheels.

8569369219_590301aa50_b.jpg

:D that's a 70 not 68! My wife complains mines faster that is faster than my 93 5.0 LX! HMMMM I guess the 93 Cobra motor helps...

wagon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a teaser until canudigit post some pics. My wife hates wagons but I really like them especially with some nice wheels.

8569369219_590301aa50_b.jpg
I like the look of that. I would rather drive it than drive my navigator.

:D that's a 70 not 68! My wife complains mines faster that is faster than my 93 5.0 LX! HMMMM I guess the 93 Cobra motor helps...
You are correct. I was wondering if someone would catch that. :p

I like the look of that. I would rather drive it than drive my navigator.
Me too! Plus it'll seat 10 people. :D

Here's a pic of the Gran Torino wagon I came real close to buying in October...

00k0k_a5xvkiEpaeW_600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back