1973 Convertible: Price opinion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
I am looking at a 1973 Convertible and do not have pictures to post but need to know what would be a good price to offer the seller:

Its an H code with a C-6 with these options Factory red /black int

Décor group

Interior décor group

P/S

Nasa hood non functional

Car is partially in primer and ready for paint...running condition

Seller is asking for 5.5k

Thanks for feedback

Doesnt sound like you have a ton of experience with these cars, but they are great cars so i hope you have a good experience with one if you do buy. That being said you need to know that rust is an issue on any 40yr old car. Since there cannot be too many on the island you should try to find out ALL the shops that would work on a muscle car. A few of the probably already know the car! Try to find out who is reputable and will give you an honest inspection of the amount of rust that may need to be fixed. Maybe it has zero! Not too likely though. Then you will have an idea how much work is involved and then post some pics here and many of the very smart and very helpful people here can try to help. And get the VIN numbers on the body and engine and take a pic of the door sticker. Best of luck.

The car is in the US but the guy selling it for his mother in law and doesn't look too knowledgeable about the car. He says " it doesn't look like there is any rust" but I doubt it. I am trying if someone from this forum can take a look at car for me...

Thanks for feedback

PS I used to own a 1972 Mach 1

Yeah,

Wwhite's on the money. Find and pay good money to have it professionally inspected. I used an American company called Lemon Squad a couple of years ago, and was fairly happy with the service they provided for me.They saved me from buying a dud car.

So if your serious about getting the car, get a pro inspection - you won't regret it. Just my opinion.

Greg.:)

If the car is in the US do you know if it is offered on c-list or some other site with pics? If you had 72 in the past you know a H code was normally a 351... With a cleveland was FMX, with a windsore was a C4, so a chance the trans is not original, which means potential for a whole lot more is changed. So different buying approach then an original car. More work.

Those options sounds like it would be nice looking once restored, especially with the Décor group and NASA hood. The price is hard to give an opinion on without at least some pictures to help determine the condition. As already mentioned, the amount of rust would be a major factor to determine the value. Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

If has rust then price should be less than $5.5k. If no rust then much, much more than $5.5k. Need door sticker info to see if origilly a C6 or FMX. Most H-codes were FMX but not all if I recall correctly.

Again, rust determines value or lack thereof. Best of luck.

If has rust then price should be less than $5.5k. If no rust then much, much more than $5.5k. Need door sticker info to see if origilly a C6 or FMX. Most H-codes were FMX but not all if I recall correctly.

Again, rust determines value or lack thereof. Best of luck.
I ordered the Marti and it has a C-6 transmission. You are right Don the rust issue is what concerns me,thats why I am trying to get someone knowledgeable to check car for me. Thanks!

Link to ad:http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4156516034.html

Last edited by a moderator:
If the car is in the US do you know if it is offered on c-list or some other site with pics? If you had 72 in the past you know a H code was normally a 351... With a cleveland was FMX, with a windsore was a C4, so a chance the trans is not original, which means potential for a whole lot more is changed. So different buying approach then an original car. More work.
All US destined 71-3 Mustangs with a 351 were Cleveland's

In 73 14,428 H code 351 Cleveland's got a C6

For some odd reason 2 - 73 H code convertibles got C-4's

The car is in the US but the guy selling it for his mother in law and doesn't look too knowledgeable about the car. He says " it doesn't look like there is any rust" but I doubt it. I am trying if someone from this forum can take a look at car for me...

Thanks for feedback

PS I used to own a 1972 Mach 1
If rust is your concern then pass on this car. The partially primer paint job indicates that the typical rust areas have been "repaired". I would bet that it is a bondo buggy. There are much better buys out there.

This isn't my car but looks far better for not much more money and it's a southern car which is a huge plus.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-for-sale-72-vert-for-sale

I just looked at the car on the link you supplied, the body looks good, but there is no pictures of the trunk and the undercarriage.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4156516034.html
The owner is taking a video of car for me..hope he shows the trunk and some more..hopefully I can find someone to take a look at car for me...

Thanks IMUSA for putting link for me!

By looking at the pictures in the listing it appears the interior has been switched out. The seats are not from a convertible, should be comfort weave, and the door panels are not the Décor group panels. But these items could be switched back at a price. Hopefully the body will check out ok.

The glove box door has been changed out. I would say that the car has had repaint. If it in fact is a Decor car it would have holes along the bottom wear the chrome molding was. If so how was the holes closed up?

Mike beat me to it but I concur that the interior of this car has been changed for some reason. Convertibles with black interiors only had one trim code and that was CA (Sebring Knit/Corinth. vinyl) with the deluxe molded door panels. What is shown in the photo is a standard vinyl interior (trim code AA) that you might find in a regular coupe. I would be suspicious of this. The tail lights are not from a 1973 Mustang either. The 73's got the bright metal trim around the lenses - this one has the black painted trim (pre 1973). Even the running horse on the gas cap is upside down as if to signal distress! The ad says 65k miles but the photo shows 59k on the odometer. Either way, the mileage is low for as many things that have been changed on this car. As others have said here, I would steer clear of this one. There are better ones out there that don't have these clouds over them.

Thanks guys!! According to the Marti report the seats are Black Sebring knit/Corinthian vinyl buckets and it is in fact a décor group car.

I appreciate all the feedback from the knowledgeable people in this forum!!

By looking at the pictures in the listing it appears the interior has been switched out. The seats are not from a convertible, should be comfort weave, and the door panels are not the Décor group panels. But these items could be switched back at a price. Hopefully the body will check out ok.
The late production (6-19-73) convertible I just sold had solid vinyl seats when I bought it in 2000. They had the deluxe pattern with the 2 metal trim pieces at the top but the inserts were not knit. I read somewhere that late 73 they were running out of the correct upholstery. I'll see if I've got pics saved somewhere.

What's the build date on this car? Door panels are definitely wrong.

Thanks guys!! According to the Marti report the seats are Black Sebring knit/Corinthian vinyl buckets and it is in fact a décor group car.

I appreciate all the feedback from the knowledgeable people in this forum!!
Not a surprise on the Marti report. What we are saying though is that is not what is in the car now.

The late production (6-19-73) convertible I just sold had solid vinyl seats when I bought it in 2000. They had the deluxe pattern with the 2 metal trim pieces at the top but the inserts were not knit. I read somewhere that late 73 they were running out of the correct upholstery. I'll see if I've got pics saved somewhere.

What's the build date on this car? Door panels are definitely wrong.
Rick - there was a long thread on this forum about late production 1973 Mach 1's not having the comfortweave material. They had the right sports interior design - they were just all vinyl. I have two late production Mach 1's with that configuration. The vert in this ad has the standard seat design. That is interesting about the vert you sold though. Pictures of those seats would be great if you have them. Make sense that if the Machs couldn't get comfortweave that the convertibles couldn't either. Looks like the end of comfortweave was in mid June 1973 near as we can figure.

Back