Southern Arizona

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande,
1973 MAch 1
I am new to this post but hoping to make the most of it and enjoy the comradery of fellow 71 to 73 owners. Here is a little information about me:

I was born in the Central African Rebulic (missionary parents). Not a whole lot of cars there (zero mustangs) but by God's design I ended up with a good dose of mechanical aptitude and a love of all things mechanical. At the age of 14 I came to the states to finish my High School years and continue my education and preparation for life.

My first car was a 1957 Chevy Belair which I purchased before ever having a license. From there it was a 1950 Plymouth purchased from my uncle. That was my ride in high school were I became friends with another high school student in our church youth group (C.B.) who owned a silver 1971-73 Mach 1 351 2V. That car began my attraction to the Mach 1. That year my older brother totaled my 1950 Plymouth and the search was on. That search ended instead with a 1970 Torino (located by C.B.) with a built 351 C 4V that would eat any encounter!

Well through the next few years college and marriage was priority until I happen upon a 1969 Mach 1 in 1988. I bought that car and put it new floors and a 390. In 1989 I moved to New Zealand and sold the car.

Fast forward twenty some years; having completed several projects for my children (a 1967 Ford F-250 High Boy, a 1963 F-100 converted to 4X4, and a 1971 Maverick with 5.0 EFI and 5 speed and a current 1967 Ford Ranchero for child number 4) I began looking to replace my 1970 Torino. It was then that I came across 1973 Mach 1 #1. I reasoned to myself that since it was one of these cars that I was originally looking for when I bought that first Torino it was the Mach 1 I should buy. Mach 1 #1 was entry level but my hope to get back at it.

I ended up buying a 1973 Fastback as a companion parts car as I was missing a lot of parts including all drivetrain parts. The Fastback did not have a useable panel (maybe the deck lid) but it did have the 351 C 2V with auto trans. Here's the twist - I actually reside in Mexico (missionary work) and cannot bring a non-running car leagally into Mexico.

I decided to place my two cars up for sale in an effort to upgrade my starting point. My price was right and I soon had a buyer for both. While waiting for him to come up with the rest of the cash I began looking for my next car. I sold my Mach 1 #1 and my Fastback on a Thursday and picked up my Mach 1 #2 and a 1971 Grande (package deal) on Friday!

Sadly the Mach 1 #2 is a non-runner so it is still in Arizona but it is a whole lot closer to my goal than Mach 1 #1. The Grande is a runner and will eventually be offered for sale. Knowing that a picture is worth a thousand words and how much I love pictures of what is being said I will endeavor to upload a few for you. My 1969 Mach, Yellow Mach 1 (end desire) 73 Mach 1 #1 (gray primer), 73 Fastback (black), 73 Mach 1 #2 (white) and 71 Grande (white).

Well, I cannot master this attempt to get Mach 1 #1 to load. I will try again latter.

My 1969 Mach 1 #1.jpg

1971 Ford Mustang Medium Yellow Gold #3.jpg

100_4774.jpg

Scottsdale Grande Motor # 5.jpg

Scottsdale Mach 1 # 26.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the club, Steven. Thanks for posting your intro here. Man, we have a lot of great people here that have very interesting life stories.

You've got some neat rides there - thanks for posting the pics.

Glad you're here!

Doc

Welcome to the forums! Great to have you aboard!

::welcome::

WELCOME aboard, Steven!

It would appear that you will bring a lot of POSITIVES to the Site based on your experience with our cars. I look forward to interacting with you on the Forums as you continue your journey.

Again, Welcome to the Site!

BT

Welcome, seems like you have a long road ahead of you, but a pretty good idea what you're after! Good luck!

71_badmach,

No, I am sorry to say I did not manage to hold on to the 70 Torino. What a car! A heavy massaged 351 C 4V that could pull the front tires if hit hard in second. I finished high school in the car and went on to college. It was my only car when I first got married but while working full time in college at $3.25 I had to have something that cost less to keep. I have missed the Torino ever since. I don't think I will be looking back that much now though with the new 73 Mach 1!

Welcome, that was one great story. If I ever decide to go after another mustang I think I'll give you a holler! Good luck with the MACH.

Marty

::welcome::

I'm not a PK or MK myself but I like them a whole lot! :) I've never heard a Mustang being referred to as a Clydesdale but if the horseshoe fits...rofl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back