Tall spoiler?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach I
I bought an original spoiler at a swap recently. Afterwards, I noticed that the pedestals were bent so it seems that I will have to replace them.

I have been wondering what our car might look like with the taller 69/70 spoiler pedestals instead of the stock shorties.

Has anyone done or seen this?

Then I found this picture:

Mach123 high wing.jpg

I don't know what it is but I like it.

It reminds me of a Lamborgini.

I think that's a SN95 bodied ('94-up) Cobra Mustang factory spoiler.

What is bent on the OE pedestals? They're kinda hard to bend I'd think. Are you sure the sockets in the spoiler itself aren't broken?

Probably would look OK, but all of the '71-73 guys will point at you and whisper amongst themselves.

And whatever you do, don't put it on backwards! ::tease::

I made some spacers out of aluminum stock and rounded them with grinder/sander to smooth them out. I needed them to clear the sides of the body on my coupe . They are not as tall as the 69-70 feet. My 70 fastback had a 71 wing (mounted backwards) on it and "they" bent the mounts to fit the 70 fastback deck lid.

I got them on mine

Mine has a 1969-70 fin on it...You can see in the pics below where they drilled new holes for the wider fin mounts and pedestals from a eariler stang on mine...It was done before i owned it.

2004_0226Image0011.JPG

mymachfin.JPG

DSCF0222.JPG

mymachtrunk.JPG

fin1.jpg

fin.jpg

fin3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know my front to my back and prefer it the proper way.

Probably would look OK, but all of the '71-73 guys will point at you and whisper amongst themselves.
Hilarious. I actually considered this contingency then admonished myself for caring what the Joneses think.

But I actually do care about the opinion of our collective body here. At least a little.

hyena429, Thanks for the pictures, they help. I think that I need some side by side comparisons to form a better opinion.

I know my front to my back and prefer it the proper way.

Hilarious. I actually considered this contingency then admonished myself for caring what the Joneses think.

But I actually do care about the opinion of our collective body here. At least a little.

hyena429, Thanks for the pictures, they help. I think that I need some side by side comparisons to form a better opinion.
GOOD for you!!!

I always say build it the way YOU want it. That is one of the primary intents of this Site; respect and support for ALL whether they are into "restorations", "modifications" or anything in between:).

BT

I like the tall ones on Hyena's ride.

Have a short repro '71-73 one on my '90 "collectible" (ahem - not) 7-Up car. It needs the taller ones, sits too close to the deck. Looks ok with the '79-82 hood scoop and custom "Cobra Jet" scoop decal.

The Fox purists cringe, but I don't care ::beer:: !

2004_0226Image0011_zps1a685170.jpg
IMG_0255_zpsaa71c8d3.jpg

I like the tall ones on Hyena's ride.

Have a short repro '71-73 one on my '90 "collectible" (ahem - not) 7-Up car. It needs the taller ones, sits too close to the deck. Looks ok with the '79-82 hood scoop and custom "Cobra Jet" scoop decal.

The Fox purists cringe, but I don't care ::beer:: !
I'll trade ya my tall ones for your shorter ones......man why does that sound so wrong? LOL

I would like to catch a couple of profiles but at this point I think I prefer the taller. I'll just have to deal with the anal retentive when it's pointed out. But there will be a few other things that will get them going anyway.

I'd also like to find out more about that race car that I posted.

with the taller 69/70, its going to be harder to look in your rearview mirror and see actually another car behind you. when you look back, all you will see is a spoiler.

As a guy without a spoiler on mine I have a question... why does the spoiler tilt in a direction to appear to want to initiate lift rather than downforce? I've never understood the angle, to me it should not be parallel to the body.

As a guy without a spoiler on mine I have a question... why does the spoiler tilt in a direction to appear to want to initiate lift rather than downforce? I've never understood the angle, to me it should not be parallel to the body.
True...and i guess it counts how the air really comes over our cars i guess in a wind tunnel...But yes..mine needs to be adjusted a little..mine is pointing down a little too much....But that is why they are adjustable...incase you do not want so much downforce or need more...Be neat if some one installed a electric fin adjusters....So you could adjust the downforce while driving along..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back