1971 convertible project in Tx

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like it needs a ton of work.

My best advice is to buy the BEST car you can afford. It is money well spent over a complete project.
Agree, it would make more financial sense to buy pay $2,500.00 for this steering wheel pad and find a reasonably priced rust free car already completed to go with it.

Jim

$T2eC16ZHJHgE9n0yG-0zBRI6R6TVtw~~60_57.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a steering pad as nice or nicer than the one in the photo and I'll sell it for $1,000. :p

I agree, buy the BEST car that fits your budget.

I paid a LOT less for mine in that shape...but I had to save the old girl, and besides I love a challenge
Its definitely a challenge...car was originally red with black interior

I paid a LOT less for mine in that shape...but I had to save the old girl, and besides I love a challenge
Just curious..how much did you pay for yours...this owner is accepting offers ..

this owner is accepting offers ..
Make an offer of $500.00. That is if he gives you $500.00 to cover the towing you'll take it off his hands.

What exactly are you looking for? The cheapest car you can buy or the best car for what you can afford? You'll spend thousands more trying to restore this car than getting a much better one in your budget.

This car will eat up $25K in sheet metal, mechanical parts, upholstery/interior and paint not to mention labor.

I recently passed on a car in similar condition for that very reason. The only reason I even considered it was that the car is a very rare limited production model. The killer for me was that it had been butchered up, the engine, trans and axle had been swapped out so the car would never be a numbers matching car.

Listen to what everyone is saying and find a better car.

Just curious..how much did you pay for yours...this owner is accepting offers ..
If you wanted to put 10,000 man hours into it and $25,000 dollars, then $500 might be a fair price. Eric (Mister 4X4) had what I consider to be a similar project, and had access to all types of tools (welders, plasma cutter, metal lathes, etc) at the hobby shop on the military base where he worked. He would probably be able to give a fair description of what you're in for.

Again, if you decide this is for you, go for it, and we'll support you. :)

I paid 1400.00 for a pair of 71 Converts. Both complete and one ran. One turned out to be an M code ram air car - we found the ram air parts in the trunk after we bought the cars and hauled them home! (Not typical, your results may vary.)

There just does not seem to be much left on the car.

Parts cars are great but I only buy them if they are complete and still together. The big parts are easy to find, all the little brackets and clips and odds and ends are worth their weight in gold.

I see little or no value in this car.

- Paul

I paid 1400.00 for a pair of 71 Converts. Both complete and one ran. One turned out to be an M code ram air car - we found the ram air parts in the trunk after we bought the cars and hauled them home! (Not typical, your results may vary.)

There just does not seem to be much left on the car.

Parts cars are great but I only buy them if they are complete and still together. The big parts are easy to find, all the little brackets and clips and odds and ends are worth their weight in gold.

I see little or no value in this car.

- Paul
Thanks Paul..I agree also is a low option car..nothing really special.

Back