73 Mach 1 owner here from Cali!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BigPinoyHunk

I am a proud owner of a 73 mach 1. the car was originally put in drivable condition by my dad when he bought it when i was 8 years old. he got it painted and up and driving by the time i was 9. he drove it up until the 351c needed a rebuild and i was only in 8th grade. when i turned 16 i had my father put another motor into the car to make it my first car. a 351w with the exsisting c6 was fitted until i turned 21 years old.

i slowly built a 460 motor with a c6. i will get into my drama drama drama with this build in later threads however. i got the motor running and on the first time really testing the 460 motor somebody hits me from the side. that ruined my dream of driving that car in my wedding (drove dad's boss 351). then 17 days after my wedding i joined the USAF.

while in the USAF at my first assignment in Utah, i drove her for a while just to encounter more problems with the 460 with spun bearings and cam failures. so i put her to the side for the next 3 years during a 1 year remote to korea and sat another 2 years at dad's work. during this time i let a professional builder build the motor for me.

i came back from yet another deployment and somebody inspired me not to let go of the car. i was almost gonna sell the motor and car and supercharge the wife's gt. i put the motor in the car and towed it to my duty section here. i got the motor running and i was glad to see no cam failure (company sent the cam to a cam breaking-in company). but the trans was stuck in gear and decided to put a TKO 600 in it. i found the clutch pedal assembly and bought an entire kit for the swap from moderndriveline.com. i completed the swap and drove the car for about 500-600 miles everyday to work for about a month. i was taking her to a body shop and it was a must i took it there before my son was born. that was middle of 0ct 09. its now early aug 10 and should be picking up the car shortly from the body shop.

the car will be painted RED/GOLD, painted just like my dad's boss 351 style. i'm a huge niners fan, so the red and gold will be unique. i had it red/black but its so normal. i want something unusually matched together. all my thoughts got to be done really quick now cuz final decision are to be made soon. painting process coming. i also am opting to add in the lockable hood locks. its gonna be interesting how he makes custom brackets for them though.

i hope this is a great place for me to visit for when i am deployed next.

i'm also considering to put a chrome front bumper to save 100lbs on the front bumper. how is that done on a 73? i saw on a earliar post somebody did it on a convertible. i know there are outter brackets, but inners as well? the outters are sold 19 a piece from mustangsunlimited.com. any info would be appreciated.

oh yeah, i will post some pics of the car prior to the bodyshop and while its in the body shop. this is the 3 time it getting painted since my father and i have owned it. (last time too)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums! Great story! We're glad you found us!

Welcome to the forum, xoliex! A couple things:

1. I'm just beginning my Mustang project, so I would be very interested in learning from your "drama, drama, drama" engine story.

2. Thank you for your service to our country. I know what deployments are like. Stop by here and chew the fat whenever you get bored.

3. Post some pictures ASAP! The color scheme sounds cool. Everything except the '49ers part. :D (Broncos fan here, since the Orange Crush years).

Doc

Xoliex, I like your taste in cars and the Service - - Welcome aboard and THANKS for your service to this GREAT nation.

Look forward to interacting with you on the different Forums. I think you will love it here as we have a GREAT group of folks which is evidenced by the lack of "flaming", "trolling" or other such "trash" that seem to be so common on the Net.

Again, Welcome!

BT

here is some pics of it in the body shop! i have to score up some prior bodyshop pics up when i find them thru my huge hard drive.

DSC01153.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

DSC01154.JPG

DSC01157.JPG

DSC01161.JPG

DSC01162.JPG

DSC01163.JPG

Last edited:
ok i just back from another 150+ day deployment and to finally come back to my mach 1 finally having some good progress. all the jam's were painted with the applicable red and some the entire undermeath the car was undercoated. however he has a little interesting thought process, the bottomish part of the car is painted with rhino lining. the guy who's working on it says its so when rocks hit it, it wont chip and etc. but he can still paint it gold, i told him i don't want any black showing on the body.

the subframe connectors are on the car now and it seems as if the allow the car to rumble even more now. pretty cool to say the least, i got a 460 with a xe276 comp cam in it and it idles about 600ish with a very nice rumble to her. here are some pics of the progress that finally came...

i did forget to include that the red is color matched from my San Francisco 49ers football helmet. the color on the can is "barcelona red" and the gold as well was color matched as well from the 49ers helmet. the helmet is the current 2010 49ers colors.

i saw the two paints side by side and looked at them in the sun. i can't wait for the car to be fully painted.

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

Last edited:
hehe, those seat covers are so old. i put them on when i was a senior in high school. going to go with some SCAT seats once the interior process has started. going to ditch the OEM seat and go with something that hugs you and reclines.

welcome! and a big hello from vienna.

abudi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back