• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parting Out '72 Mach 1 in Olympia, WA

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customtronic

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1

2008 Ford F150
Like the title states.....I have no time to finish this project. I bought a ton of new parts and they're just sitting in my garage collecting dust. Some of the new sheet metal I have: both front fenders, inner fender by battery tray, both lower rear quarter panels, tail light panel, trunk lid, plus a few others that I'm probably forgetting. I have a complete suspension kit (1.5" drop I think), factory AC, all glass is good except windshield, etc, etc. I'd prefer NOT to try and ship this stuff. The car and parts are located in Olympia, WA. I will be listing it all on Craigslist so the list of available parts will change as items sell. Please call me at my shop if local and interested. Thanks!

Steve

Soundstage Car Audio

360-866-0276

Since Steve lives in the same town I called him and we're meeting tomorrow to take some pics of what he has available and possible prices, I'll post them for you guys.

Jim

I met with Steve this morning, nice guy and impressive car stereo shop that he started about a year ago. Steve is juggling a lot of projects and a new business so he's pushing his ambition of restoring his 72 Mustang off of his plate. Looks like got a good start of stripping the car down, buying parts but it's in the way and some of the new parts are starting to rust so he wants to sell it all. His preference is local pick up so he doesn't have to ship any thing. I told Steve I would post the pics I took and when he gets a chance he'll post prices he would like to receive for them after he does a little research. I'm sure he's open to offers if you see something you need. Of note there's was a sticker on one of the front fenders indicating it's NOS, they appears to be in great shape. The rear qtr patches are in good shape but have surface rust. Steve has a few other items but we both had to get back to work and it would requiring digging through the stuff stacked in the car. The rear window has the heating element in it and looked to be great shape. He also has a new truck lid still in the box.

Here's what I saw.

Additional photos of parts Steve has.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to meet you Jim and thanks for the help. As you stated, I'm willing to be very reasonable on pricing for locals as the parts are doing me no good sitting in a garage. I understand that I'll be taking a loss on what I paid for everything but that's to be expected.

So, I looked up the prices on the new parts that I have not including what I paid for shipping. Here is a partial list of what I have, what I paid, and what I'd like to get for it. I bought almost everything from Mustangs Unlimited. Here goes:

Tail light panel, New paid $120, $80 obo

D.S. Inner Fender Apron, New paid $40, $25 obo

L.F. Fender, New paid $300, $200 obo

R.F. Fender, New paid $300, $200 obo

Left Lower Qtr Panel Patch paid $40, $20

Right Lower Qtr Panel Patch paid $40, $20

Rear Valance, New paid $60, $40 obo

Handling kit, complete "add-a-leaf" kit, new paid $650, $425 obo

OEM rear window molding, still on car $100

Ford 9" rear end, not sure of gear ratio, can check tag, still on car $200 obo

T-5 transmission for 5.0 Fox body $300 obo

All side glass is good. Make offer

Back window w/ defrost. Make offer

Lots of other parts. dash parts, doors, misc sheetmetal, wiring harness, gauges, ect. Willing to accept offers on any of that. If anyone is interested in the car itself I'd be fine with that. I have a good title and it's actually pretty solid considering.

Thanks in advance for helping me recoup some of the money I've spent on this project!

I was surprised that the car was as solid as it was, sitting out exposed to the rain without windshield or trunk. If someone local needs doors, both of them open and closed very solidly and except for a dent on the drivers door and slight rust on the inside bottom they appeared solid and the glass good. The drip rails were also in good shape. For someone in the area restoring a 71-72 that needs a lot of parts, this is a treasure trove, wish it had been available when I started on mine.

Jim

Hey Steve... what is the gear ratio of your rearend? Is it new or newly rebuilt? I'm in SC so I'm sure the shipping charges would substantial. Please let me know... thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
I'm really not wanting to try and ship an axle across the country. The cost of shipping would kill the price of it. You'd be able to find one close to you for a lot less. Thanks for trying to help out.

Hey Steve... what is the gear ratio of your rearend? Is it new or newly rebuilt? I'm in SC so I'm sure the shipping charges would substantial. Please let me know... thanks.

I'm really not wanting to try and ship an axle across the country. The cost of shipping would kill the price of it. You'd be able to find one close to you for a lot less. Thanks for trying to help out.
No problem at all... I understand.

If there is some way that I could acquire the full RH quarter off of the unibody - let me know. I'm in Miami, Florida, so transportation is an issue, but - as I said - if there's a possibility...

Let me point out right now: Freighting costs don't necessarily scare me on this, and I can't find anyone within the state with one. Or a unibody to tear apart (did find one just 20 miles away a long time ago, but it came with two other clapped out '73s that I didn't want).

Steve or Jim/Jutta - PM me if there is a chance. Would also take the rear taillight panel and RH fender if the RH quarter is available.

It's nice and warm down here, just in case I can sucker anyone to come down here to Florida... :p

-Kurt

Wow...honestly I wouldn't even know where to start with something like that. Cutting it out isn't an issue. Boxing it all up and getting it to you in good condition is my concern. The other thing is the body is pretty solid. If I cut it up like that I have zero chance of ever selling the body even though it has a good title and has solid potential of getting on the road again if someone wants to put the time in.

Wow...honestly I wouldn't even know where to start with something like that. Cutting it out isn't an issue. Boxing it all up and getting it to you in good condition is my concern. The other thing is the body is pretty solid. If I cut it up like that I have zero chance of ever selling the body even though it has a good title and has solid potential of getting on the road again if someone wants to put the time in.
I understand your predicament in respect to the unibody. It would seem a shame to cut one up, though it could be removed non-destructively with a spot-weld remover (granted, lots of work - especially due to the lead line up at the roof which would require softening with a propane torch).

That said, if the unibody does not sell, let me know if you'd consider removing the panel. You could conceivably sell the LH panel, front clip, roof clip, and the rest for more than what the unibody itself would bring (funny how parts are worth more than the whole).

As for shipping, placing a panel in a box and encasing both sides with expanding shipping foam should keep even a panel as large as a quarter safe in transit. A pair of plywood sheets on each side would also stiffen the box enough to prevent bending.

The size would limit Greyhound as the only option short of freight, if I am not mistaken. There are always the freight shippers as well - more expensive, but effective.

-Kurt

P.S.: If that RH fender is the one with the NOS stamp, I'm still interested in it and the taillight panel. Let me know if that can be worked on, if not the quarter.

-Kurt

Well, I had someone local contact me about the entire car and all of the parts. I've decided that I would sell it all to him for $2000. He has not confirmed so it's still up for grabs. The T-5 should be sold on Saturday. I have a guy coming down to my shop to pick it up.

Steve, glad to see a local might be taking over the project but sad that you're not the one completing it, would have been great having you join us local 71-73 guys on cruises and meetings. Having seen most of the parts (many not shown in the pics I took), new and used, the buyer is getting a bargain at 2K.

Thanks Jim. It will be a lot less hassle for me to sell it all in one lot and I agree that it's a pretty great deal considering all of the money I spent on it all. I should have also mentioned that I'd be interested in a trade for a utility quad or an International Scout/Jeep Wrangler if any forum members are interested in this project. Thanks again.

351C

Bright blue metallic / silver with blue deluxe interior

Gauge package

Fold down rear seat

air conditioning

clear title in hand

????????

Am I close?

What major parts is it missing?

Hey! I'm 16 and my 72 fastback is almost on the road. Im just looking for the last few pieces to make it completely streetable. Im interested in a few items on your list. Some you possibly haven't listed.

Guage cluster

tach? (Does it work?)

possibly rearend, might do a 4 speed conversion later if i can scrape up a few dollars

gas tank filler pipe

mach 1 taillight panel honeycomb

Center Console

mach 1 sway bar

thats all i can think of now. Fortunately im local so no shipping hassle needed!! im sure im missing something else. Wanna make a deal???

thanks!

351C

Bright blue metallic / silver with blue deluxe interior

Gauge package

Fold down rear seat

air conditioning

clear title in hand

????????

Am I close?

What major parts is it missing?
Well, kinda sorta. That was the paint code when it was built. Now it's just old red primer. It did come with the 351C. It has the gauge package. It came with the fold down rear seat and I do have some of the parts for that. I have a clear title in hand. Not sure if it came with AC. I bought a factory AC from a guy on this forum a few years ago. No engine or trans. Missing the hood, most of the interior, needs grill, windshield, trunk floor (I have one but it's got a good bit of surface rust now), needs bumpers, and basically reassembly.

Hey! I'm 16 and my 72 fastback is almost on the road. Im just looking for the last few pieces to make it completely streetable. Im interested in a few items on your list. Some you possibly haven't listed.

Guage cluster

tach? (Does it work?)

possibly rearend, might do a 4 speed conversion later if i can scrape up a few dollars

gas tank filler pipe

mach 1 taillight panel honeycomb

Center Console

mach 1 sway bar

thats all i can think of now. Fortunately im local so no shipping hassle needed!! im sure im missing something else. Wanna make a deal???

thanks!
I have the tach but can't tell you if it works or not. I never got the car on the road. It was still installed in the car when I got it and it was only removed by me when I started working on it. I don't have the tail honeycomb or the center console. I have a full suspension kit but it's not OEM Mach 1 stuff. I paid $650 plus shipping for it all from Mustangs Unlimited.

Is the front rubber bumber there in repairable shape?

Whats the engine code on the vin?

4 speed or auto

What date codes can you find stamped on the sheet metal?

Can you store it for a few more months if I pay you for it now.

"Now" would mean about 10 days as thats how long it takes for me to get funds to clear from one of my accounts to another.

My thought is to fully restore it. I'm going to check my spare cleveland blocks for a close match on the date codes, then we need to agree on a price (more than $2000) and how the car would get loaded into the back of a enclosed truck for the 3 day ride to Phoenix somewhere around March?

I'll start checking flights to Olympia and Portland. I lived in Seattle for 8 years so I'm familiar with the drive on I-5 back to Arizona.

I'd give you my phone number to talk direct but I hardly ever answer it on the weekends and the weekdays in the short term I'm in a noisy machine shop.

Back