Day 2 Down Under early Mustang sighting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
31 Model A Station Wagon “Woody”
69 Mach 1 - 351C
72 Mach 1 - 351C
96 Cobra Convertible
On my Second day of my holiday visit to my sister's place in Australia, I noticed this car just one block from her house. A really nice '65 convertible, converted to right hand drive of course. I saw a '96-ish GT convertible yesterday as well. Hoping to see some Falcon XB's!

image.jpg

Yeah Dave,

There are a lot Mustangs in Oz getting around now. You see a lot at any car show around the capital cities any time of the year, but the '71-'73's are still fairly rare compared to the '65 to '70 brigade.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday in Australia.

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did Ford ever produce a right hand drive Mustang of that era ? I ask because I once had a 69 SS ElCamino inherited from my dad. I ordered a factory service manual for it and noticed it indicated both left and right hand drive in it's repair procedures.

The first time I ever saw a right hand drive Mustang was in Australia as well. About 5 years ago I was at a vintage motorcycle scramble in a small town named Williams in WA. It was a 65 hardtop painted pink. I just figured it was produced that way for export to countries which use the left side of the road.

Hi Pat,

The short answer to your question is no, there were never any Mustangs with right hand drive imported to Oz, as to the best of my knowledge.

There is about a 35 year and back cut off time here, where you are allowed to import you American car and drive it around legally with LHD.

Looking back at the timing of the whole thing, you will see a small degree of '65 to '70 Stangs getting around with RHD conversions done here in Oz, when they imported them in around the sixties for example. I've seen a couple of '71'73 Stangs with RHD here as well.

Greg.:)

My brother-in-law just drove me past another house that had two early Mustangs parked out front. One was a '65 convertible the other a '66 coupe. Both were left hand drives and very nice! We saw a '57 Chevy out on the road along our drive as well.

Just to add to Greg's statement, I can guarantee that no mustang has ever been produced at the factory in RHD.

Many were officially bought in and converted by Ford Au (Tickford) but due to their high price, didn't sell many.

This new 2015 mustang will be the first ever mustang to be made at the factory in RHD.

This falls in line with Fords new global car vision.

It maybe the one I get too. Very exciting stuff...

I've had mine 10 years and I don't think I've seen another RHD 71-73 yet.

Just to add to Greg's statement, I can guarantee that no mustang has ever been produced at the factory in RHD.

Many were officially bought in and converted by Ford Au (Tickford) but due to their high price, didn't sell many.

This new 2015 mustang will be the first ever mustang to be made at the factory in RHD.

This falls in line with Fords new global car vision.

It maybe the one I get too. Very exciting stuff...

I've had mine 10 years and I don't think I've seen another RHD 71-73 yet.
+1

Ray

[align=left]

We are in the Sydney area in Belrose. We go to Honolulu departing late on New Years Day.
You're a 25 min drive away from me (20Ks Eastwood NSW) so happy for you to stop by after Xmas and have a look at my XB Falcon Coupe along with the other toys:)

We are busy to through Xmas day then no real plans until new years. [/align]

Greg

[align=left]

We are in the Sydney area in Belrose. We go to Honolulu departing late on New Years Day.
You're a 25 min drive away from me (20Ks Eastwood NSW) so happy for you to stop by after Xmas and have a look at my XB Falcon Coupe along with the other toys:)

We are busy to through Xmas day then no real plans until new years. [/align]

Greg
Wow, you are (or I am) close. I mapped it-- we were at the station in Roseville today, that's about halfway. I need to figure out the rest of our plans--we are headed South of Sydney after Boxing Day few a few days. I will PM if it looks like we have a window of opportunity. My sons would get a real kick out of seeing some cool cars!

What about II'S? I know there are some in NZ that were right drive from new this one is a 76.

right hand ii.jpg

The only R/H/D mustangs Ford Australia sold where the early one's , they imported them and then done the conversion on them, very low numbers,

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_52977/title_The-Australian-Mustangs/newsarticle.html
Don't deny that but that's not the first pic of a right drive II. Granted the aftermarket can do anything. It is just that they are exactly reversed. The grain is even correct on the dash and dash pad. The dash is all one piece. That kind of level of detail I'd imagine would be way to expensive to make the car reasonable priced. I'd love to see under hood detail pics, especially the rack and pinion. Hey it's a mechanical thing, probably way off topic. I just think it is a n interesting topic. Maybe they found their way from England like this red interior coupe.

rhdstangii2.jpg

Back