"New" 1971 Fender Telecaster.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Here's one for my fellow guitarists on here. I made myself an early Christmas present.

From the same era as our cars comes this beautiful 1971 Telecaster. It's dated January 1971 which is cool because I was born in January 1971. :)

dudyryby.jpg

Sweet ! I have no idea what year my Telecaster was made. I didn't pay very much for it so it's probably one of those more recently produced Mexican Fenders. Doesn't matter though because it has fantastic action. Damn near plays itself.
Send me a pm with your Tele's serial number and I will probably be able to tell you what you have.

Cool!

Ok, so from someone who loves to listen to guitar, what makes Gibson better or worse than a Fender? Is one better suited to a certain style of music, or is it just personal preference?

They are different. Different woods, different scale lengths, different constructions. Only thing they have in common is they are guitars.

Unfortunately Gibsons are way overrated. Their quality standard is mediocre and half the Gibsons that get shipped to dealers are glorified fire wood. Some are really good on the other hand.

Gibson keep their prices high on purpose so that they stay desirable. The CEO does not even deny that.

I don't like that.

Fender have over the last years established quite a high quality level and are very consistent throughout the whole product range.

But I will probably get flamed for the above by the Gibson fans. :)

Here's one for my fellow guitarists on here. I made myself an early Christmas present.

From the same era as our cars comes this beautiful 1971 Telecaster. It's dated January 1971 which is cool because I was born in January 1971. :)

dudyryby.jpg
Sweet ! I have no idea what year my Telecaster was made. I didn't pay very much for it so it's probably one of those more recently produced Mexican Fenders. Doesn't matter though because it has fantastic action. Damn near plays itself.
Does it say Squire on it? If it does it could me made in indonesia, or mexico (mexico being the better)

Mike, that is a great looking butterscotch blonde there.

Here's how I see it ... Music is a form of art and musicians are artists as much as any painter or sculptor. Just as painters and sculptors have preferences as to which tools and materials they use, so do musicians. I know a few "older" phenomenal guitar players that swear by their old Sears Harmony acoustics and think very little of the latest high dollar Taylors and Martins. To a true guitar "player", not just a guitar "collector", it's the unique sound that his/her instrument makes when it's in his/her hands that makes it valuable to him/her, not the name on the headstock. I've never found myself thinking after hearing a skilled guitarist play something amazing ... "I bet that would have been better if he were playing a (blank) instead of a (blank) ".

As far as dollar value of an instrument goes, well ... with very sincere respect to you luxstang , I can't entirely agree with the idea that placing a high price on something will automatically make it more desirable. As my dad used to say "No matter how much you polish a turd, it's still a turd". I think in most instances it works completely the opposite way. In order to command a high price for something, it has to have some intrinsic quality that makes it desirable enough to actually get someone to pay that high price for it.

Gibson and Fender have both produced some damned fine guitars and also a few "turds" along the way. The fact is ... there are many artists out there that can create masterpieces with either.
Unfortunately Mike is correct about the intentional over price because of the name. If you pay some star enough money, and give him enough free stuff they will play your guitars no mater what they think of them. I personally have never played a les-paul that would stay in tune through a whole set, and chicken pickin style is out of the question on a gibson, but if your playing AC/DC, an SG is essential for proper replication, but, I can take my tele, 65 twin, line 6 XT live, and set it to sound so close it will blow your mind.

Most producers tell the studio musicians what to use for the sound they want on the CD but like Brent Mason said "if the producer does not demand a certain sound...I bring my Tele, and 65 twin" and I agree with him 100%

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Axe from your birth year Luxstang very cool indeed. Seriously envious of you guys that can play:D

Fender Gibson who cares the pleasure is too play:) anyway doesn't God play a Rickenbacker Bass ;);)

image.jpg

Right On, Mike!!! Rock on!!!

Does it say Squire on it? If it does it could me made in indonesia, or mexico (mexico being the better)

Mike, that is a great looking butterscotch blonde there.

Here's how I see it ... Music is a form of art and musicians are artists as much as any painter or sculptor. Just as painters and sculptors have preferences as to which tools and materials they use, so do musicians. I know a few "older" phenomenal guitar players that swear by their old Sears Harmony acoustics and think very little of the latest high dollar Taylors and Martins. To a true guitar "player", not just a guitar "collector", it's the unique sound that his/her instrument makes when it's in his/her hands that makes it valuable to him/her, not the name on the headstock. I've never found myself thinking after hearing a skilled guitarist play something amazing ... "I bet that would have been better if he were playing a (blank) instead of a (blank) ".

As far as dollar value of an instrument goes, well ... with very sincere respect to you luxstang , I can't entirely agree with the idea that placing a high price on something will automatically make it more desirable. As my dad used to say "No matter how much you polish a turd, it's still a turd". I think in most instances it works completely the opposite way. In order to command a high price for something, it has to have some intrinsic quality that makes it desirable enough to actually get someone to pay that high price for it.

Gibson and Fender have both produced some damned fine guitars and also a few "turds" along the way. The fact is ... there are many artists out there that can create masterpieces with either.
Unfortunately Mike is correct about the intentional over price because of the name. If you pay some star enough money, and give him enough free stuff they will play your guitars no mater what they think of them. I personally have never played a les-paul that would stay in tune through a whole set, and chicken pickin style is out of the question on a gibson, but if your playing AC/DC, an SG is essential for proper replication, but, I can take my tele, 65 twin, line 6 XT live, and set it to sound so close it will blow your mind.

Most producers tell the studio musicians what to use for the sound they want on the CD but like Brent Mason said "if the producer does not demand a certain sound...I bring my Tele, and 65 twin" and I agree with him 100%
No mine says "Fender" on it. I've been told though that there are slight differences between the American made Fenders and the Mexican made ones. Quality is about the same but they use different woods I believe. The Mexican ones are cheaper probably because of the cheaper labor costs to produce them. That's my guess anyway.
It will say on the headstock if it was made in Mexico, or Indonesia and as far as I know they are only assembled there with same parts as US fenders. The Fender Squire's are different as they use cheap parts, and scrap wood.

You know something funny.

I was at a work catch up on Saturday.

By 2 in the morning and very tired and emotional, we got to talking about tatts.

I'm a clean skin, and was asked if I've ever been tempted.

I simply replied, if I'm ever going to get tatts, it'll be the running horse on my right arm and the warpig on my left!

Saw mhead again just last year. Best night of my life.

Pushed my way to the front before the show and before I knew it, the j's were flying around everywhere.

Rock out with your **** out! Hehe

You know something funny.

I was at a work catch up on Saturday.

By 2 in the morning and very tired and emotional, we got to talking about tatts.

I'm a clean skin, and was asked if I've ever been tempted.

I simply replied, if I'm ever going to get tatts, it'll be the running horse on my right arm and the warpig on my left!

Saw mhead again just last year. Best night of my life.

Pushed my way to the front before the show and before I knew it, the j's were flying around everywhere.

Rock out with your **** out! Hehe
Watched them in Brisbane awesome

Also watched that little ol band from Texas that was a wicked guitar show.:cool: ZZ Top can still bring it:D

Jimmy Patrick Paige would tend to disagree...

Then again he could play Achilles with a ukele and bring a tear to my eye.
Jimmy Page actually played a Telecaster on many occasions, especially in the studio. The solo on "Stairway.." was actually played on a Tele.

:)

with very sincere respect to you luxstang , I can't entirely agree with the idea that placing a high price on something will automatically make it more desirable. As my dad used to say "No matter how much you polish a turd, it's still a turd".
You are basically right about polishing the turd. But Gibson actually does keep the prices high on purpose, so customers think that owning a Gibson is something special.

Henry Juszkiewicz (CEO of Gibson) even admits it freely.

Unfortunately people fall for it. It's the way the market works. Many of those guitars are polished turds and no amount of polishing will change that.

Then again I am the first to agree that some Gibsons out there are just awesome.

.. anyway doesn't God play a Rickenbacker Bass ;);)
No god ever played bass. Never! Being a god means being almighty means not having to compromise. I rest my case. :p

Lemmy is cool though. :cool:

No mine says "Fender" on it. I've been told though that there are slight differences between the American made Fenders and the Mexican made ones. Quality is about the same but they use different woods I believe. The Mexican ones are cheaper probably because of the cheaper labor costs to produce them. That's my guess anyway.
The bodies for the Mexican guitars are made in Mexico but the necks are actually made at the Corona plant in California and shipped down south. The reason is that the production capacity for necks in Corona is enough to supply for both production lines.

Bodies are made from the same woods than the US ones, at least from the same species of woods.

The price difference comes from the lower labor cost on the bodies (handling, paining process etc) and the time spent on setting them up.

The final setup after assembly of a mexican Fender is approx 5 minutes whereas in the US it is almost three times as much (even more on the Custom Shop models).

The performance of a guitar, very much like that of a car depends mostly on the way it is set up. A proper setup is quite time consuming and time is money.

That means that a Mexico Fender will, among other details, have the nut slotted higher than its American counterpart because a deeper slot will bring the strings closer to the frets and is more likely to create fret buzz on the strings. As a consequence people would return those guitars to the store on a waranty claim.

Thus those guitars will handle a little less comfortably than more expensive ones. It's simply a matter of playing it safe.

But the potential is basically the same.

I did some setups on Mexico Fenders and once they are set up properly most of them are on a par with the US made guitars. Only this setup takes time and must be "custom made" for every single guitar, which is impossible on a production guitar.

When I was at the Corona plant in California, one of the guys expained that to us and even told one of the visitors that he would guarantee him if he set the customers Strat up professionally the guy would not be able to tell the difference between his Mexico Strat and a US one.

This being said, a friend of mine had an average Mexico Strat that I set up for him. After about an hour of my time, that guitar was one of the top 5 best Strats I had ever played in my entire life (and I have played more than my share of Strats, even vintage ones).

I've been wanting to buy that guitar from him ever since but he won't give it away now, of course.

As you can see, I know much more about guitars than cars. :)

My advice: Get a professional setup on your guitars. It's worth the few dollars. You'll be amazed how much potential that guitar can have.

The Fender Squire's are different as they use cheap parts, and scrap wood.
I must disagree on the scrap wood part. The Classic Vibe series is a killer, made from the right wood and the pickups are really cool too.

I have a huge collection of guitars, some really high end stuff (Tyler Studio Elite, Suhr, vintage Schecters, Pre-CBS Strat etc) and I recently bought a 300$ Classic Vibe Strat because it had an awesome flamed maple neck on it that would have been rated AAAA on a Warmoth neck. I bought it for the neck only and when I got it home it turned out to be a fantastic guitar. Not only in relation to the price but it was simply a great guitar.

I went and tried some others, just for fun, and all of them were amazing. I should not admit this becasue it makes me look like a nutcase collecting all that high end stuff but that Classic Vibe is basicalla all the guitar you'll ever need.

I wish we'd had those when we were younger. It would have saved me a lot of money. :)

Sorry boys,

iza Strat man.:)

Greg.:)
Me too.

Got 10 of those. :)

Sorry boys,

You mean like this? Reverse in the middle, tone turned into blender for middle so you can have as much strat sound as you want, and still have a killer tele. photo (16).JPG

The Fender Squire's are different as they use cheap parts, and scrap wood.
I must disagree on the scrap wood part. The Classic Vibe series is a killer, made from the right wood and the pickups are really cool too.

I have a huge collection of guitars, some really high end stuff (Tyler Studio Elite, Suhr, vintage Schecters, Pre-CBS Strat etc) and I recently bought a 300$ Classic Vibe Strat because it had an awesome flamed maple neck on it that would have been rated AAAA on a Warmoth neck. I bought it for the neck only and when I got it home it turned out to be a fantastic guitar. Not only in relation to the price but it was simply a great guitar.

I went and tried some others, just for fun, and all of them were amazing. I should not admit this becasue it makes me look like a nutcase collecting all that high end stuff but that Classic Vibe is basicalla all the guitar you'll ever need.

I wish we'd had those when we were younger. It would have saved me a lot of money. :)

Sorry boys,

Me too.

Got 10 of those. :)
Mike I have refinished many guitars and have found that "most" US tele's are made with 2 pieces of wood..(sometimes 3) but, mexican made ones can have as much as 7 pieces but usually between 4 and 5 which is what i meant by scrap. Classic Vibe's are an exception to the rule cause they are made to replicate the old one...like a reissue...and they are done right

Back