Hi everyone, New member from Sydney

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydneydrumdr

Reaction score
My Car
1971 SportsRoof 351C 2v C6 auto
[url=https://ibb.co/JkVdWXq][img]https://i.ibb.co/121nYHM/20170923-151415.jpg[/img][/url]
Hi from Sydney. Just found this forum and it looks great so far. I run a drum and percussion repairs business and am a working drummer as well. I have a '66 AMC Rambler Classic as a weekend cruiser but my 71 sportsroof is about to get a whole lot of attention. I've had my Mustang since 1986 and it's been sitting in storage for most of the years since then - that's what happens when your work takes you away from your hobby. Well, it's time to get this old girl on the ROAD!!

I have completed the bodywork phase and it's almost ready to start priming for paint. Luckily she was pretty rust free being a California car but with only 80,000miles on the clock. Just needed the usual taillight panel replacement as well as full L/H quarter panel due to some accident damage prior to being imported to AUS. I bought enough spare parts to convert the stock sportsroof into a Mach1 lookalike. I'm not too worried about showing the car or keeping it original factory specs, I just like the look of this model with some Mach1 added styling. These cars are pretty rare down here so I want to build it into my own take on the 71 fastback - not to win trophies, just to drive it and enjoy it's rare shape on our roads.

The 351C is out and pulled down. Can't believe how much crud was in the valve covers and around the rockers. Heads are cleaned and in the machine shop getting new valve seats and stem seals.

The block and bottom end has very little wear so it looks like a hone and new rings, bearings, maybe a mild cam and new lifters etc. No racing engine mods required so the 2V set-up will work fine.

The C6 came out as well and what a monster it is! For years I assumed it had an FMX auto from factory (most Aussie 351C had FMX boxes behind them, and these seem much smaller and lighter) but then I found out that C6 was the norm in these Mustangs. Not sure if I want to fit that huge trans back in, thinking of going to the Tremec 5 speed and making this a manual/stick shift car. Suggestions are welcome at this point!!

Anyway, the sandblasting cabinet has been busy with all the engine brackets, bonnet hinges, anything that needs to be satin black again!! The spray gun will get busy soon too, seeing it's summer here and the drying time for satin acrylic black is about 5 minutes! Some Ford blue on rocker covers and other engine parts will be next. Suspension and brakes too are getting the strip down and rebuild.

I've built a workshop just for the mustang so most of this work is tackled at home. Probably hire a spray booth at the local auto body shop when it's time to get the body colour in the gun. Over the years I have changed my mind several times about which colour to paint her. Being white originally didn't really inspire me, so sorry to those who own white mustangs, plus I didn't want the boy racer RED either. I have settled on silver with the blacked out bonnet and black sidestripes. Classy and catches light and shadows nicely. Black interior. I haven't seen 71-73 in this colour scheme around the roads/shows etc here in Sydney.

I look forward to chatting with you guys who I'm sure will teach me a whole lot of great stuff along the way. Thanks, Dave

Welcome from Melbourne Dave.

Can't wait for the progress pics...

PS, there's a couple of Americans on this site also.

Quite harmless and very polite... He he

But there's one rule here on the best mustang forum on the net, once you join, you can never leave!

If you do, they want their car back...

Apparently, us Aussies have got half of 'em.... Hehe

But there's one rule here on the best mustang forum on the net, once you join, you can never leave!

Hey Jim,

I tell you what did blow me away the other day - i discovered how many US cars are over in Sweden, and for that matter, other Scando countries like Denmark etc.

I saw a vid on U tube regards a monster American car show/ ralley in Sweden - there were miles and miles of cars from all eras - parade line went on forever. Interesting!

Greg.:)

Welcome from The Sunny Okanagan Valley British Columbia,Canada

Welcome from Sydney. I have a 73 convertible that's been converted to a 5 speed. You're welcome to come have a look.

Also, there is a Cars & Coffee in Picton and Kellyville first Saturday and Sunday of the month respectively and I usually go to both. Just google them.

Greg

Welcome from Sydney. I have a 73 convertible that's been converted to a 5 speed. You're welcome to come have a look.

Also, there is a Cars & Coffee in Picton and Kellyville first Saturday and Sunday of the month respectively and I usually go to both. Just google them.

Greg
Hey Greg,

Great to hear from you. That sounds like a great way to go for a run and meet some new faces. We will aim for the Feb dates as we are on holidays next week. I look forward to checking out the 5 speed conversion and saying g'day too. Have a good NYE.

Cheers,

Dave

Hey Jim,

I tell you what did blow me away the other day - i discovered how many US cars are over in Sweden, and for that matter, other Scando countries like Denmark etc.

I saw a vid on U tube regards a monster American car show/ ralley in Sweden - there were miles and miles of cars from all eras - parade line went on forever. Interesting!

Greg type Japanese hot rods or koolbreaker it will blow you away how many rods kustoms and wild choppers live in Japan. I have always loved the style of jap chops and now I am a fan of there rods,there are some impressive paint jobs on show too

Hey Jim,

Greg type Japanese hot rods or koolbreaker it will blow you away how many rods kustoms and wild choppers live in Japan. I have always loved the style of jap chops and now I am a fan of there rods,there are some impressive paint jobs on show too
Hi Luke,

Hope you're enjoying Christmas.Thanks for pointing that out as such.

I really had no idea the Japanese guys were so into it.

It never fails to amaze me how much the impact of American culture has had around the world over the last four decades or so.That you can't deny.

There must be some big magic in that American dream eh?:)

Hey Jim,

Hi Luke,

Hope you're enjoying Christmas.Thanks for pointing that out as such.

I really had no idea the Japanese guys were so into it.

It never fails to amaze me how much the impact of American culture has had around the world over the last four decades or so.That you can't deny.

There must be some big magic in that American dream eh?:)

I agree big impact. Whilst we are all proud of our respective nationality something's are universally appealing like Big Flashy Cars and loud flashy bikes thank you USA no one does this better than you guys

Last edited by a moderator:
::welcome:: from Maine. You Aussie"s must be hiding a lot of Mustang's over there. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back