4 Link on 71-73?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a question, why would you want a 4 link? they suck, thats why everyone with a 4 link rear (foxbody's till 04) want to get rid of theres and put a watts link or 3 link.

Ben from the Netherlands built a 4 link system for his coupe. As far as I know there is not a 4 link kit for our cars. I understand the 69-70 kits can be modified to work. Designing a 4 link from scratch would take a considerable investment in time and talent to make it work up to it's capabilities. Calculating anti-squat and roll center based on your suspension attachment points could be a challenge.

Have you considered looking at the rear suspension of a '94-'98 mustang? The dimensions aren't identical but may work.

-------------------

Length. 193.8".......181.5"

Width. 74.1".........71.8"

Height 50.1".........52.9"

Wheel base 109"...........101.3"

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone done a 4 link rear setup on 71-73 mustang? Is there a place where they sell kits, or is it something you have to make by your self? :)
http://rcmotorsportsinc.com/rc-114-4-bar-rear-coilover-suspension-kit/

As other have said not really sure the expense & effort is really worth it..I'd go with this instead

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-Rear-Bilstein-3-Link-Coilover-System-pr-24572.html

I'm sure Shaun at SOT could make any required changes or guide you for install into our cars..

Or just a simple watts link...SOT has those too.

I just thought that 4 link was a good thing to do, I'm a little green on this area.. Actually I was looking at the 3 link from street or track yesterday, it looks like a great option.. Maybe it can be modified to fit in, I think I will ask Shaun about it.. Thanks for all your help.. :)

I just thought that 4 link was a good thing to do, I'm a little green on this area.. Actually I was looking at the 3 link from street or track yesterday, it looks like a great option.. Maybe it can be modified to fit in, I think I will ask Shaun about it.. Thanks for all your help.. :)
Why not just do the Fays2 Watts Link......

http://fays2.net/fays2_watts_link_6_.html

BDK

My idea was just to move the leaf springs away for more wheel space, I was told that if I mounted the 4 link, then I could get a 12" weidth wheel in back.. :)
Your not getting a 12" wheel width back there with out installing new or widening the inner wheel house notching the rear frame rails..shortening the rear axle

Just a question, why would you want a 4 link? they suck, thats why everyone with a 4 link rear (foxbody's till 04) want to get rid of theres and put a watts link or 3 link.
Huh........

The fox body suspension was a horrible design stock.

A watts link is a suspension locator. IE side to side like a panhard bar. Completely different item than 3 or 4 link suspension. But generally used in conjunction with them.

Anybody who says a 4 link suspension sucks needs own one first. They are a pretty good suspension design that rides well when designed right.

Far as our cars I know a few have adapted a commercially available 3 link setup from the earlier year mustangs. Don't remember who makes the kit though. But I think some extensive fab work would be required for a 4 link.

From personal experience, people with modern mustangs get away from their factory suspensions and go with coilovers with a torque arm and panhard bar to alleviate binding. I believe you can do coilovers I'm the front from Global West and Total Control. I know Griggs Racing has their GR-350 kit for the older mustangs. I wonder if the kit for a '69/'70 mustang would work on a '71/'73. If not, you can compare the measuremts from a '95 and 'a 71/73. The two cars are aimilar in size.

This is an answer to Qcode351mach

But the shocks you can choose is adjustable in ridw comfort, and I want the bilstein coilover in front.. I know that you has installed the bilstein coilover in front, are the shocks adjustable? I just think that it has to match?

Huh........

The fox body suspension was a horrible design stock.

A watts link is a suspension locator. IE side to side like a panhard bar. Completely different item than 3 or 4 link suspension. But generally used in conjunction with them.

Anybody who says a 4 link suspension sucks needs own one first. They are a pretty good suspension design that rides well when designed right.

Far as our cars I know a few have adapted a commercially available 3 link setup from the earlier year mustangs. Don't remember who makes the kit though. But I think some extensive fab work would be required for a 4 link.
Well whatever, point is i heard bad things about 4 links.

People have heard bad things about our under powered and over sized mustangs too. And they are wrong.

Aint that the truth.

I had this saved in my favorites. Not sure if it is somone on this sight. Don't rememeber where I found it but some really nice pics of a TCI 3 Link/Torque Arm with Panhard Bar that was adapted to a 71 I think.

http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/joepersad/media/DSC03350.jpg.html#/user/joepersad/media/DSC03350.jpg.html?&_suid=138841873919109543817211526846

Back