4 Link on 71-73?

Has anyone done a 4 link rear setup on 71-73 mustang? Is there a place where they sell kits, or is it something you have to make by your self? :-)

Daniel ::thumb::

Pro-Touring 1973 Mustang named ''Creator'' ... :P

Under construction!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question, why would you want a 4 link? they suck, thats why everyone with a 4 link rear (foxbody's till 04) want to get rid of theres and put a watts link or 3 link.

1972 Satin Black Coupe, turns better than average, goes vroom with 303 RWHP.

Ben from the Netherlands built a 4 link system for his coupe. As far as I know there is not a 4 link kit for our cars. I understand the 69-70 kits can be modified to work. Designing a 4 link from scratch would take a considerable investment in time and talent to make it work up to it's capabilities. Calculating anti-squat and roll center based on your suspension attachment points could be a challenge.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Have you considered looking at the rear suspension of a '94-'98 mustang? The dimensions aren't identical but may work.

-------------------

Length. 193.8".......181.5"

Width. 74.1".........71.8"

Height 50.1".........52.9"

Wheel base 109"...........101.3"

Has anyone done a 4 link rear setup on 71-73 mustang? Is there a place where they sell kits, or is it something you have to make by your self? :-)

http://rcmotorsportsinc.com/rc-114-4-bar-rear-coilover-suspension-kit/

As other have said not really sure the expense & effort is really worth it..I'd go with this instead

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-Rear-Bilstein-3-Link-Coilover-System-pr-24572.html

I'm sure Shaun at SOT could make any required changes or guide you for install into our cars..

Or just a simple watts link...SOT has those too.

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART

I just thought that 4 link was a good thing to do, I'm a little green on this area.. Actually I was looking at the 3 link from street or track yesterday, it looks like a great option.. Maybe it can be modified to fit in, I think I will ask Shaun about it.. Thanks for all your help.. :-)

Under construction!!

I just thought that 4 link was a good thing to do, I'm a little green on this area.. Actually I was looking at the 3 link from street or track yesterday, it looks like a great option.. Maybe it can be modified to fit in, I think I will ask Shaun about it.. Thanks for all your help.. :-)

Why not just do the Fays2 Watts Link......

http://fays2.net/fays2_watts_link_6_.html

BDK

My idea was just to move the leaf springs away for more wheel space, I was told that if I mounted the 4 link, then I could get a 12" weidth wheel in back.. :-)

Under construction!!

My idea was just to move the leaf springs away for more wheel space, I was told that if I mounted the 4 link, then I could get a 12" weidth wheel in back.. :-)

Your not getting a 12" wheel width back there with out installing new or widening the inner wheel house notching the rear frame rails..shortening the rear axle

Just a question, why would you want a 4 link? they suck, thats why everyone with a 4 link rear (foxbody's till 04) want to get rid of theres and put a watts link or 3 link.

Huh........

The fox body suspension was a horrible design stock.

A watts link is a suspension locator. IE side to side like a panhard bar. Completely different item than 3 or 4 link suspension. But generally used in conjunction with them.

Anybody who says a 4 link suspension sucks needs own one first. They are a pretty good suspension design that rides well when designed right.

Far as our cars I know a few have adapted a commercially available 3 link setup from the earlier year mustangs. Don't remember who makes the kit though. But I think some extensive fab work would be required for a 4 link.

Far as our cars I know a few have adapted a commercially available 3 link setup from the earlier year mustangs. Don't remember who makes the kit though. But I think some extensive fab work would be required for a 4 link.

This will work.. Can be installed in our cars with a few simple mods

http://www.ridetech.com/store/1964-1970-ford-mustang-airbar.html

From personal experience, people with modern mustangs get away from their factory suspensions and go with coilovers with a torque arm and panhard bar to alleviate binding. I believe you can do coilovers I'm the front from Global West and Total Control. I know Griggs Racing has their GR-350 kit for the older mustangs. I wonder if the kit for a '69/'70 mustang would work on a '71/'73. If not, you can compare the measuremts from a '95 and 'a 71/73. The two cars are aimilar in size.

This will work.. Can be installed in our cars with a few simple mods

http://www.ridetech.com/store/1964-1970-ford-mustang-airbar.html

It was something like that I was looking for, thank you.. :-)

Under construction!!

This is an answer to Qcode351mach

But the shocks you can choose is adjustable in ridw comfort, and I want the bilstein coilover in front.. I know that you has installed the bilstein coilover in front, are the shocks adjustable? I just think that it has to match?

Under construction!!

Huh........

The fox body suspension was a horrible design stock.

A watts link is a suspension locator. IE side to side like a panhard bar. Completely different item than 3 or 4 link suspension. But generally used in conjunction with them.

Anybody who says a 4 link suspension sucks needs own one first. They are a pretty good suspension design that rides well when designed right.

Well whatever, point is i heard bad things about 4 links.

1972 Satin Black Coupe, turns better than average, goes vroom with 303 RWHP.

People have heard bad things about our under powered and over sized mustangs too. And they are wrong.

2cossj6.png

97 F150: wrecked, 96 Dodge 4x4: blown motor / donated to the base

88 Suburban 4x4 355 cid 8 inch lift: sold, 95 Celica 5 speed : sold

68 F750 391 cid : sold,  96 F350 7.3 diesel dually : sold

86 Chevy 1500 305 cid c1500: sold, 73 Mustang mach 1 466 cid 5 speed : under construction

89 F350 4x4 cummins swap : sold, 64 Dodge d600: gone

00 Excursion: traded, 72 Mustang mach 1 302: scrapped

73 Mustang coupe: scrapped, 73 ranchero gt

06 Honda crf 450x : sold, 04 Honda vtx 1800

88 Bronco xlt lariat: sold, 76 Charger: traded

95 F350 4x4: sold , 91 Crown Victoria 302: sold

02 Dakota: traded, 96 f250 powerstroke: parts truck

87 f700, 98 e350 powerstroke: sold

03 land rover: traded, 95 f350 dually: part out

95 f350 dually: traded, 94 f150 4x4: traded

97 f250: sold, 76 Maverick 302: sold

91 240sx rb25: sold, 86 firebird: sold

86 Trans Am: sold, 88 westernstar: sold

89 dodge d350: sold, 2000 Dakota 4x4: sold  

84 f350 3+3: sold, 90 bronco: partout

67 catalina, 64 chevy c60

64 jeep j200, 74 corvette stingray

79 Lincoln mark V, 2013 f350: goldilocks

People have heard bad things about our under powered and over sized mustangs too. And they are wrong.

Aint that the truth.

I had this saved in my favorites. Not sure if it is somone on this sight. Don't rememeber where I found it but some really nice pics of a TCI 3 Link/Torque Arm with Panhard Bar that was adapted to a 71 I think.

http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/joepersad/media/DSC03350.jpg.html#/user/joepersad/media/DSC03350.jpg.html?&_suid=138841873919109543817211526846

It's not the number of links... it's the design of the system. It's impossible to determine how a custom set-up will work by comparing it to a stock set-up.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Well, as Droptop /Jeff mentioned, i have a 4-link, and from my own experience, it a HUGE upgrade from leafsprings.

The car handles so much better than before, much more direct. I have built it from scratch, ordered links made to my specified length and had axle tabs made and went busy.

Spend almost a week on measuring, calculating and long before a lot of reading on the subject.

If you have the capabilities, do it, you wont be dissapointed..

Cheers Ben

'72 Mustang , well, its black???

Can you post some pictures of your home made 4 link, and a description of what you did? What kind of shocks did you use for it? It sounds really exiting, it could be so much more fun building it at home :)

Under construction!!

Friend of mine bought a 90'ies XR7 Mercury Cougar for a donor car, cut out the IRS rear and the whole front suspension with the shocktowers. They all were fabricated to his 1973 Mach 1. I'll have a worktrip to 20 miles from his house in the next month or so, I try to visit him and took few pictures out of the engine compartment and from the suspension. He's been satisfied for the result.

It has been now few years with n/a 32V Modular. Now the modular is in the progress of getting two turbos under the hood. I'll try to get sneak pictures.

Sounds insane :D please get some pics of that :D

Under construction!!

Here you go Protouringstang73.

pictures from my 4-link (and some more of the upgrades on mine)

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-some-history-of-my-car-lots-of-pictures

and if you got any more questions, don't hesitate..

'72 Mustang , well, its black???