4V heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351 CJ all matching numbers, under restoration.
73 Ford Mustang Sprint from Mexico.
Hello everyone,

I still don't know what block I have on my car. Originally, my car came with a 351 4V engine. But who knows what happend after 40 years, I have absolutly nothing about the historic, and this is missing me a lot, more than my ex girlfriend.

What I know is the heads now, are 2V's. The block number is D2AE-CA which can be 2 or 4 bolt on, block can be H or CJ?

What I can do is to remove the oil pan and check.

My question is:

Is it possible to mount 4V heads on engine that came with 2 V's heads?

H code engines were all 2 V's?

Thanks.

Yes they will bolt right on.... I believe that all h code engines were 2v headed engines. The q codes were cobra jets with 4v heads from the factory. I own a h code, my block was stamped with D2AE CA, it was a 2 bolt though.

Hi Manu,

Yes 4v heads can be installed on any Cleveland block (any windsor block for that matter). To do the swap you need compatible intake and exhaust manifolds. As for 2 or 4 bolt mains... it won't make a difference. 4 bolt blocks are just more expensive, a decently prepared 2 bolt block is every bit as durable as a 4 bolt block, the outboard 3/8" bolts do very little to stabilize the caps or prevent them from "walking" under extreme conditions. For extreme duty it is more important to find a block with a high nickel content than 4 bolt mains. The race engines in the cars I crew on use 2 bolt blocks and produce over 700 horsepower.

Yes all H codes are 2v engines.

I don't want absolutly or necesseraly set some 4V's, but, first, I'm curious about the power with those heads, and then the car would be closer as original.

I think next year (very soon:)) I will probably open the engine completly and rebuilt it. Why? Not because comsumption of oil, lack of power, or anything else, just because by pleasure, and after I know what I have under the hood.

But also I don't use additive, and use 98 octane unleaded, I'm curious about the valve seats state.

Timing chain and crank and sproket also need to be checked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back