New shoes for Christmas

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Hi guys. First, I'd like to wish everybody a Happy New Year. Second, I thought I'd show the Mustang as it slowly evolves back to a more stock configuration. Just picked up a set of 15" x 7" Magnums for $300, (which I think was pretty reasonable) and mounted a set of T/A's I had in storage.Next to come are a new set of springs and shocks. While I may miss the nasty look of the 20's and the slammed stance, I will look forward to a much nicer and comfortable ride and I really like the look of the Magnums! It's funny, it's this website and you folks and the pictures of beautifully restored cars that was the catalyst to bring the car closer to stock.

2276b.JPG

Huge thumb"s up from me ! :D You can call me old fashioned ,but I really prefer muscle cars with original or close to sized wheels . I don't mean to offend those who like their big wheels , to each their own. :p

Huge thumb"s up from me ! :D You can call me old fashioned ,but I really prefer muscle cars with original or close to sized wheels . I don't mean to offend those who like their big wheels , to each their own. :p
::thumb:: Right there with ya, Bro. ;) :D

Thanks for the kind words guys. I have always used this site for encouragement and advice. Even the choice of blackwalls or white letters was helped by all the images on this site.While I have always mounted my tires on any wheel blackwall out, the white letters out just look right on the Magnums. But wouldn't it be cool if you could get a modern radial with the "Firestone Wide Oval" or "Goodyear Polyglas GT" lettering on them?

Funny, I am in the process of swapping out my Magnum 500's for 18's. I hear what you're saying. I like the cars both ways... I've had mine as pretty close to original for 12 years but it just really needed to be redone as everything had aged (and in some cases not so graciously). Luckily I have very little rust except in the floorpans... Anyway, it was a hard decision but I decided I wanted to restore it with everything that I thought Ford should have done and didn't without getting radical. That said I am saving all the parts so it can always be converted back if I ever get the notion.

I love them both ways...

I like pretty much all of them, short of the jacked up hack jobs that we tend to poke fun at.

Since I decided to restomod the 72, I think the blacked out trim and understated look (very little chrome and no decals) is suited to "modern" wheels and tires. I also love the full-on restorations. Lots of room at this Thanksgiving dinner table.

::thumb:: Right there with ya, Bro. ;) :D
Oh yes! I like this look a lot! Good job!

Ray

I like the thought of blacked out steelies with dog dishes and trim rings but in 15x10 295 out back and 15x8 245 on the pointy end :)

Funny, I am in the process of swapping out my Magnum 500's for 18's. I hear what you're saying. I like the cars both ways... I've had mine as pretty close to original for 12 years but it just really needed to be redone as everything had aged (and in some cases not so graciously). Luckily I have very little rust except in the floorpans... Anyway, it was a hard decision but I decided I wanted to restore it with everything that I thought Ford should have done and didn't without getting radical. That said I am saving all the parts so it can always be converted back if I ever get the notion.

I love them both ways...
Yours will still be cool with them torque thrusts on it my friend :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it, great color on the car too. Mine was originally grabber lime and I always wondered what it looked like on a full car. I toyed with the idea of going bigger and more modern on my wheels, but instead I raised the car close to stock ride height and stuck with my Magnums! If I ever did change them, I would go with Year One's one piece aluminum Magnums in 17".

I like it, great color on the car too. Mine was originally grabber lime and I always wondered what it looked like on a full car. I toyed with the idea of going bigger and more modern on my wheels, but instead I raised the car close to stock ride height and stuck with my Magnums! If I ever did change them, I would go with Year One's one piece aluminum Magnums in 17".

https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/1964.73.mustang/wheels-.-brakes-.-rear-axle/yearone-cast-magnum

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the thought of blacked out steelies with dog dishes and trim rings but in 15x10 295 out back and 15x8 245 on the pointy end :)

I love them both ways...
Yours will still be cool with them torque thrusts on it my friend :cool:
Voila. Steelies and dog dishes. Only the stock size but it would not be hard to imagine them widened with some serious meat on them.

2256b.JPG

Here it is with my Centerlines the day after I bought it.

IMG_1028.JPG

With a set of 17x8s I had originally planned on using.

IMG_1062.JPG

And finally the 20's.

m1.JPG

So if you are curious about what your Stangs would look like with different wheels and diameters I guess my car is the guinea pig!

Back