Black stripe for a vert

John J

I want to put stripes on my vert this summer. I just want the stripes for the truck and the sides. I want plain black stripes I am not trying to make a mach 1 clone vert. I hear they come in gloss and matte finish. I need to know who sell them that will work on a 73 vert.

John J

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 71-72 Mach 1 stripes will work on the side of the vert. But not the back. The trunk lids have different dimensions and the trunk stripe is too short. Also, I believe the lock cylinder doesn't line up right.

I want to put stripes on my vert this summer. I just want the stripes for the truck and the sides. I want plain black stripes I am not trying to make a mach 1 clone vert. I hear they come in gloss and matte finish. I need to know who sell them that will work on a 73 vert.

John J

I have a black stripe kit that I bought and never used because I ended up painting my stripes. I would sell it if you are interested. The kit I have are the hockey stick stripes.

Bob J

I put the trunk stripe on mine and it can be done. I posted about it here but I will have to look for it on the computer. Currently I am typing this on my phone.

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

I put the trunk stripe on mine and it can be done. I posted about it here but I will have to look for it on the computer. Currently I am typing this on my phone.

I'm also interested as this is on my Spring list.

Ok, I found the pics.

There are a few things to watch for when you do this:

First, the stripe is made of three pieces (one center for the trunk lid and two sides for the fender extension) that do not have the correct size for verts. I had never realized that the fender extensions on fastbacks are much wider that the ones on verts and coupes.

So the center stripe will be too short but you can carefully align the butt ends of the extension stripes to the center ones and paste them.

If you look closely, you will see that mine lines up nicely on the passenger side but a little less so on the driver side, That is because the outer pin stripes at the end butt of the driver side extension stripe were not completely parallel to the big one in the middle. Usually that would not cause any problems because that part would get bent around the corner of the extension and go inwards in between the fender and the trunk lid.

In this case it provoked some colorful yet explicit language but eventually I was able to make it look halfway decent. If you blow up the picture you will see the transitions almost right above the clear lenses in the middle of the taillights.

On the passenger side everything lined up perfectly.

Second, the vertical part of the trunk on the fastback is shorter than on the vert which means that on the vert, the stripe will sit higher.

Usually the lower side of the stripe will line up with the body contours but not in this case.

The key cylinder is the reference point here, so you need to work it from there.

Just try to keep it parallel to the edges from the trunk lid and fender extensions to the taillight panel.

Here are the pics:

Before:

attachment.php?aid=14283

After:

attachment.php?aid=14284

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

I have been looking at those for a while. I was wondering if anyone on this site has ordered them. The seller has gotten good feedback on this item.

John J

I have been looking at those for a while. I was wondering if anyone on this site has ordered them. The seller has gotten good feedback on this item.

John J

I emailed him to see if he can make one with the MACH I decal on the right side for a vert. I would like to keep the Tribute as close as possible and to match the side stripe.

Ok, I found the pics.

First, the stripe is made of three pieces (one center for the trunk lid and two sides for the fender extension) that do not have the correct size for verts. I had never realized that the fender extensions on fastbacks are much wider that the ones on verts and coupes.

So the center stripe will be too short but you can carefully align the butt ends of the extension stripes to the center ones and paste them.

If you look closely, you will see that mine lines up nicely on the passenger side but a little less so on the driver side, That is because the outer pin stripes at the end butt of the driver side extension stripe were not completely parallel to the big one in the middle. Usually that would not cause any problems because that part would get bent around the corner of the extension and go inwards in between the fender and the trunk lid.

In this case it provoked some colorful yet explicit language but eventually I was able to make it look halfway decent. If you blow up the picture you will see the transitions almost right above the clear lenses in the middle of the taillights.

Second, the vertical part of the trunk on the fastback is shorter than on the vert which means that on the vert, the stripe will sit higher.

Usually the lower side of the stripe will line up with the body contours but not in this case.

The key cylinder is the reference point here, so you need to work it from there.

Just try to keep it parallel to the edges from the trunk lid and fender extensions to the taillight panel.

Here are the pics:

Before:

attachment.php?aid=14283

After:

attachment.php?aid=14284

It looks great. How long did it take you to install it?

John J

Took me the better part of an hour, most of it doubting my own judgement and checking alignment over and over again.

I'm not the most confident person when it comes to doing something like this. :)

I checked the link for the custom made ones and they look pretty cool. I think that's the way I would go if I had to do it again. Shame I did not know about them last year. :-(

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

• 2 months later...

Spring is here and I'm getting ichy to work on the stang.

So I'm back to looking at the rear mach 1 stripe for a vert. Could this one fit a little better since it is a Mach 1 stripe and not just a solid stripe?

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=DM135B+01

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a thought. If the fender extensions are wider on a fastback and the center piece is shorter. Maybe we can do a manual cut/paste as an extention or overlap on the new stripe. Might not look bad if it's a very short piece. Your thoughts on buying this for the cut/paste?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-1973-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Convertible-or-Coupe-Trunk-Stripe-Decal-Kit-/280863195512?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4164c04178&vxp=mtr

HMMM?? If the extentions are wider on a fastback than a vert, do you just cut the extention extra long pieces off and sort of mend it on to the rear lid so it blends in? Assuming the rear lid is wider on the vert.

HMMM?? If the extentions are wider on a fastback than a vert, do you just cut the extention extra long pieces off and sort of mend it on to the rear lid so it blends in? Assuming the rear lid is wider on the vert.

Yes.

Just scroll up a few posts. I posted a complete how to on the subject.

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

This is now the 2nd time I've seen this.

If you click on the rear deck lid pic and zoom in you'll see the Mach 1 label on the left side and this stang is a vert.

While I can't find it, maybe someone does make a Mach 1 rear deck lid for the 71-73 that fits proper without having to trim and paste?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Convertible-1973-Mustang-Convertible-302-Match-Auto-Ram-Air-Hood-Spoiler-Magnums-/261443969192?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3cdf4660a8&item=261443969192&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

There is a company that makes the deck lid stripes for verts. I found it on the net but I don't have the link anymore.

Their description says explicitly that it is different from the standard one so it will line up with the keyhole on verts and coupes and compensates for the wider deck lid.

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

There is a company that makes the deck lid stripes for verts. I found it on the net but I don't have the link anymore.

Their description says explicitly that it is different from the standard one so it will line up with the keyhole on verts and coupes and compensates for the wider deck lid.

I found one on ebay that does this, but it's not a Mach 1 stripe.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you wouldn't want it to read mach1 anyway for a vert, right?

Actually yes I would since my Mach 1 Tribute has the stripes on the side.

Guess by now you can figure out that I want the Mach 1 stripe on the rear lid.

So what are your thoughts on buying this stripe kit so the rear quarter extensions fit properly

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-1973-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Convertible-or-Coupe-Trunk-Stripe-Decal-Kit-/280863195512?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4164c04178&vxp=mtr

Plus use most of the the center stripe to where the MACH 1 name would be. Trim that piece off and add the Mach 1 name from

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-FORD-MUSTANG-MACH-1-DECK-LID-STRIPE-KIT-3-PIECES-BLACK-/360865102391?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item54053c7a37&vxp=mtr

Anyone ever try this, or would I be a first?

• 3 weeks later...

Time to pull the trigger on this.

Can someone tell me how far (inches) is the M in Mach from the center trunk lock?

I decided to buy both kits. The one with the non Mach stripe will be perfect for the extensions and I plan on using the same center stripe in this kit but cut where the Mach 1 would be and paste the Mach 1 name from a kit from Mustangs Unlimited.

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just realized that it might not matter, as the Mach 1 center stripe will be shorter on both ends of the vert trunk lid. So in order for it to fit properly I would prob need to move the Mach 1 label further to the right so it would fit and wrap around the trunk lid.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I found the pics.

Here are the pics:

Before:

attachment.php?aid=14283

After:

attachment.php?aid=14284

I received one of my stripe kits and should have the other one next week.

I know you said to start with the center lock and work your way out from there. Looking my stripe over, it looks like the black stripe is on white paper.

I'm guessing once you line it up and press it harder against the lid, you can pull the paper away and only the black stripe remains?

Yes. You tape it in place at the top, so it works like a hinge. When everything is straight, you start pulling off the backing tape. Your little strips of tape will keep it aligned. Then, after you have the stripe sticking to the car, you remove the white paper and only the stripe will remain on the car.

I can't post a link from my phone but search YouTube for "applying Mach1 stripe" and you'll find a video of a guy applying a stripe to a 73. That shows the process in detail.

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

Yes. You tape it in place at the top, so it works like a hinge. When everything is straight, you start pulling off the backing tape. Your little strips of tape will keep it aligned. Then, after you have the stripe sticking to the car, you remove the white paper and only the stripe will remain on the car.

I can't post a link from my phone but search YouTube for "applying Mach1 stripe" and you'll find a video of a guy applying a stripe to a 73. That shows the process in detail.

He does make it seem easy, but he also jumps around and to me misses some of the steps I'm looking for.

Also in my case, I'm going to be using the MACH 1 part of the stripe as I bought both kits online (see my post #12).

Thanks for your help. I hope to tackle this soon and will take pics.