Black stripe for a vert

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
I want to put stripes on my vert this summer. I just want the stripes for the truck and the sides. I want plain black stripes I am not trying to make a mach 1 clone vert. I hear they come in gloss and matte finish. I need to know who sell them that will work on a 73 vert.

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
The 71-72 Mach 1 stripes will work on the side of the vert. But not the back. The trunk lids have different dimensions and the trunk stripe is too short. Also, I believe the lock cylinder doesn't line up right.

I want to put stripes on my vert this summer. I just want the stripes for the truck and the sides. I want plain black stripes I am not trying to make a mach 1 clone vert. I hear they come in gloss and matte finish. I need to know who sell them that will work on a 73 vert.

John J
I have a black stripe kit that I bought and never used because I ended up painting my stripes. I would sell it if you are interested. The kit I have are the hockey stick stripes.

I put the trunk stripe on mine and it can be done. I posted about it here but I will have to look for it on the computer. Currently I am typing this on my phone.

Ok, I found the pics.

There are a few things to watch for when you do this:

First, the stripe is made of three pieces (one center for the trunk lid and two sides for the fender extension) that do not have the correct size for verts. I had never realized that the fender extensions on fastbacks are much wider that the ones on verts and coupes.

So the center stripe will be too short but you can carefully align the butt ends of the extension stripes to the center ones and paste them.

If you look closely, you will see that mine lines up nicely on the passenger side but a little less so on the driver side, That is because the outer pin stripes at the end butt of the driver side extension stripe were not completely parallel to the big one in the middle. Usually that would not cause any problems because that part would get bent around the corner of the extension and go inwards in between the fender and the trunk lid.

In this case it provoked some colorful yet explicit language but eventually I was able to make it look halfway decent. If you blow up the picture you will see the transitions almost right above the clear lenses in the middle of the taillights.

On the passenger side everything lined up perfectly.

Second, the vertical part of the trunk on the fastback is shorter than on the vert which means that on the vert, the stripe will sit higher.

Usually the lower side of the stripe will line up with the body contours but not in this case.

The key cylinder is the reference point here, so you need to work it from there.

Just try to keep it parallel to the edges from the trunk lid and fender extensions to the taillight panel.

Here are the pics:

Before:

attachment.php

After:

attachment.php

I have been looking at those for a while. I was wondering if anyone on this site has ordered them. The seller has gotten good feedback on this item.

John J

I have been looking at those for a while. I was wondering if anyone on this site has ordered them. The seller has gotten good feedback on this item.

John J
I emailed him to see if he can make one with the MACH I decal on the right side for a vert. I would like to keep the Tribute as close as possible and to match the side stripe.

Ok, I found the pics.

There are a few things to watch for when you do this:

First, the stripe is made of three pieces (one center for the trunk lid and two sides for the fender extension) that do not have the correct size for verts. I had never realized that the fender extensions on fastbacks are much wider that the ones on verts and coupes.

So the center stripe will be too short but you can carefully align the butt ends of the extension stripes to the center ones and paste them.

If you look closely, you will see that mine lines up nicely on the passenger side but a little less so on the driver side, That is because the outer pin stripes at the end butt of the driver side extension stripe were not completely parallel to the big one in the middle. Usually that would not cause any problems because that part would get bent around the corner of the extension and go inwards in between the fender and the trunk lid.

In this case it provoked some colorful yet explicit language but eventually I was able to make it look halfway decent. If you blow up the picture you will see the transitions almost right above the clear lenses in the middle of the taillights.

On the passenger side everything lined up perfectly.

Second, the vertical part of the trunk on the fastback is shorter than on the vert which means that on the vert, the stripe will sit higher.

Usually the lower side of the stripe will line up with the body contours but not in this case.

The key cylinder is the reference point here, so you need to work it from there.

Just try to keep it parallel to the edges from the trunk lid and fender extensions to the taillight panel.

Here are the pics:

Before:

attachment.php

After:

attachment.php

It looks great. How long did it take you to install it?

John J

Took me the better part of an hour, most of it doubting my own judgement and checking alignment over and over again.

I'm not the most confident person when it comes to doing something like this. :)

I checked the link for the custom made ones and they look pretty cool. I think that's the way I would go if I had to do it again. Shame I did not know about them last year. :-(

Spring is here and I'm getting ichy to work on the stang.

So I'm back to looking at the rear mach 1 stripe for a vert. Could this one fit a little better since it is a Mach 1 stripe and not just a solid stripe?

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=DM135B+01

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a thought. If the fender extensions are wider on a fastback and the center piece is shorter. Maybe we can do a manual cut/paste as an extention or overlap on the new stripe. Might not look bad if it's a very short piece. Your thoughts on buying this for the cut/paste?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-1973-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Convertible-or-Coupe-Trunk-Stripe-Decal-Kit-/280863195512?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4164c04178&vxp=mtr

HMMM?? If the extentions are wider on a fastback than a vert, do you just cut the extention extra long pieces off and sort of mend it on to the rear lid so it blends in? Assuming the rear lid is wider on the vert.

HMMM?? If the extentions are wider on a fastback than a vert, do you just cut the extention extra long pieces off and sort of mend it on to the rear lid so it blends in? Assuming the rear lid is wider on the vert.
Yes.

Just scroll up a few posts. I posted a complete how to on the subject.

This is now the 2nd time I've seen this.

If you click on the rear deck lid pic and zoom in you'll see the Mach 1 label on the left side and this stang is a vert.

While I can't find it, maybe someone does make a Mach 1 rear deck lid for the 71-73 that fits proper without having to trim and paste?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Convertible-1973-Mustang-Convertible-302-Match-Auto-Ram-Air-Hood-Spoiler-Magnums-/261443969192?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3cdf4660a8&item=261443969192&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

There is a company that makes the deck lid stripes for verts. I found it on the net but I don't have the link anymore.

Their description says explicitly that it is different from the standard one so it will line up with the keyhole on verts and coupes and compensates for the wider deck lid.

There is a company that makes the deck lid stripes for verts. I found it on the net but I don't have the link anymore.

Their description says explicitly that it is different from the standard one so it will line up with the keyhole on verts and coupes and compensates for the wider deck lid.
I found one on ebay that does this, but it's not a Mach 1 stripe.

Back