Potential Mustang value

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convert, 351 2v, C6.
Looking at a 73 Mustang Convertible, it appears to be "correct" as I have decoded the VIN and the trim tag. 351 2v, c6, Bright Green Gold Metalflake, and Meduim Ginger Knitted interior. 3.25:1 rear. Delivered to Indianapolis where it still resides.

117k on the clock, has the "bullet" wheels on (torque thrust knockoffs looks to me like, but Mustang wheels). Car is a bit "apart" (hood off, engine ready to be pulled).

It has the Mach1 grill and hood. Minor rust (very minor) in the wheelwells. Has some 'glass work on the floor pans, but isolated and small areas. New exhaust, new gas tank.

Bummers are as follows- "frame repair" near steering box area. Current owner (guy I trust and have known for years, but knows NOTHING about cars) says it "eats rag joints". Likely a misalignment issue.There is a large plate added on the wheel side of the frame the steering box is mounted thru.

Second bummer isn't too bad, the door skin was patch panneled and it is seperating. No biggie there.

Now, though this is my first post here, this is not my first rodeo, its acually #78 if I buy (yeah, I keep a list), but my first 1st gen stang.

So, Is it worth the $3k he is asking? I look and see some work, but i cant touch a fox or SN95 hardtop around here for that cash (that isnt ragged out)

Opinions Please?

IMAG0605.jpgIMAG0605.jpgIMAG0606.jpg

Looking at a 73 Mustang Convertible, it appears to be "correct" as I have decoded the VIN and the trim tag. 351 2v, c6, Bright Green Gold Metalflake, and Meduim Ginger Knitted interior. 3.25:1 rear. Delivered to Indianapolis where it still resides.

117k on the clock, has the "bullet" wheels on (torque thrust knockoffs looks to me like, but Mustang wheels). Car is a bit "apart" (hood off, engine ready to be pulled).

It has the Mach1 grill and hood. Minor rust (very minor) in the wheelwells. Has some 'glass work on the floor pans, but isolated and small areas. New exhaust, new gas tank.

Bummers are as follows- "frame repair" near steering box area. Current owner (guy I trust and have known for years, but knows NOTHING about cars) says it "eats rag joints". Likely a misalignment issue.There is a large plate added on the wheel side of the frame the steering box is mounted thru.

Second bummer isn't too bad, the door skin was patch panneled and it is seperating. No biggie there.

Now, though this is my first post here, this is not my first rodeo, its acually #78 if I buy (yeah, I keep a list), but my first 1st gen stang.

So, Is it worth the $3k he is asking? I look and see some work, but i cant touch a fox or SN95 hardtop around here for that cash (that isnt ragged out)

Opinions Please?

Last edited by a moderator:
It almost seems hard to 'go wrong' with a 3K car. The fact that it is 'correct' doesn't matter much since it is a regular 351C 2v C6. If it was me looking at it I would get underneath and take a really really good look at the rust on the subframes and rear panels. Doors and fenders are 'easy' to replace. If the subframes are rusted bad there isn't much you can do that won't cost a lot of money. I would also take a good look at why the frame repair was done. Accident or rust?

There were less than 2000 '73 Convertibles built with that engine/transmission combination, so it is relatively "rare."

Based on your post, it would appear that 3K is a good price in my opinion.

BT

Looks like a good deal...I would look inside too and check what options it was loaded with..Even the 2v version of mustangs would get loaded out with some rare extra options...AC...Tilt steering..Deluxe interior and such...And does it have a ram air style hood? or regular flat? The 351c 2v only one that got ram air in 1973....Just wondering if this is one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is an AC car, power steering and brakes too. Roll up windows, interior is way above average, but 2 small dash cracks. Luxury interior (76D code).

As stated, it has the ram air hood, not sure if it is original or not, and the Mach 1 Grille.

As for being under it, I was, it was the first thing I did. The guy was like, "um, here is the interior....where did you go?" Under the car.

With the plate there it is hard to say, Id bet rust since it is a Indiana car all its life. the torque boxes look clean, as do the framerails save the place I mentioned. Fab and welding is no biggie, but it often scares off buyers who I'd be looking to sell to.

Anyway, i pulled the trigger on the car, so its mine now. With the weather moving in (8" snow and -15) it may be a minute before I get it home.

Now, one last question for now......should it have a deck spoiler, or does it vary?

Thanks!

Looks like a good deal to me and I'm with everybody else on getting a good look underneath for structural rust. As for the rear spoiler, I believe I am correct in saying they were never factory installed but many were dealer installed or installed by the owners. They are such a popular additions to rags that they are a natural add -ons. I added mine when shortly after I bought my car.

Sounds like a great deal for 3k. The "Mach 1" grill was an option as part of the "Decor Group". As part of the group the lower sides of the car would be argent or black with stainless molding (I can't make out that detail in the pictures). The NASA hood would be a separate option. The racing mirrors are an option too. My 73 convertible still has the original rag joint with 112k miles, but I plan on changing it soon just to be safe.

It has been repainted and "restored" , the trim isn't there but it may have been. Don't know yet. It's just a driver, not looking for all correct. Anyway, I will get some better pics up once the snow is past and I get her home. The neighbor maybe helping out with some motor work, he owns Price Motorsports.

The racing mirrors are an option too.
OMG I totally forgot that. My 73 conv originally had the chrome 'lip stick' mirror (as my wife calls it). I still had the racing mirrors from the totalled Mach 1 so when I had the car repainted I put them on. A much better look in my opinion.

Sounds like a great deal for 3k. The "Mach 1" grill was an option as part of the "Decor Group". As part of the group the lower sides of the car would be argent or black with stainless molding (I can't make out that detail in the pictures). The NASA hood would be a separate option. The racing mirrors are an option too. My 73 convertible still has the original rag joint with 112k miles, but I plan on changing it soon just to be safe.
Mike a new better rag joint has come out - it is an assembly now.

Don

Item #C7OZ-3A525-ORG

67-73 STEERING SHAFT COUPLER, ORIGINAL STYLE

Original style rag joint. Price: $39.95

Mike a new better rag joint has come out - it is an assembly now.

Don

Item #C7OZ-3A525-ORG

67-73 STEERING SHAFT COUPLER, ORIGINAL STYLE

Original style rag joint. Price: $39.95
Thanks for the info Don. I already purchased one, but when I get ready to do the job I'll evaluate the new part.

Back