300 mile 1971 Mustang Conv on eBay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ain't nothing like a well documented and illustrated ad. This isn't one.

Besides, that picture seems pretty old.

Why does it look like the bottom of the front fender has a molding with a contrasting color when the rest is one color? Or is that a reflection?

Other than that the car looks really nice.

300 miles, and kept in an upholstery shop? No wonder the top is so nice.

To add to Lux's observation: Not only does it have an argent front valance with moulding, it has a urethane bumper. The moulding and urethane bumper would indicate the Decor Group, but what of the rest of the paint and mouldings?

And if it is not supposed to have the argent front valance, why does it have the urethane bumper?

No VIN either. So much for pulling a Marti on it. Smells like a good old traditional snow job in the making.

-Kurt

Ok, cross-examination sent to seller:

Could you provide better photos of the Mustang, particularly the underside of the body? It would appear from the photo that the underside is blue, despite the argent front valance panel (which would indicate the Decor Group and also explain the body-color urethane front bumper).
Additionally, could you provide a copy of the car's Marti authenticity report for the car, if previously ordered? If you do not have one, could you provide the Mustang's VIN (should be "1F03H..." for a 351-2V or "1F03M..." for a 351-4V. In very rare cases - for 1971, that is - it may be "1F03Q..." for a 351-4V) so I may order such a Marti, in order to learn of the vehicle's original specifications before deciding on whether the Mustang is worth making the trip in person to examine?
We'll see what baloney they come up with.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Thank guys for all the observations - I posted LATE LATE last night.

I am feeling like Kurt, this might be a joke.

Ray

Yep. Thank guys for all the observations - I posted LATE LATE last night.

I am feeling like Kurt, this might be a joke.

Ray
I doubt if it's a joke or a scam. Too subtle to be such.

These type of ads used to be very commonplace for '70s Lincolns being sold back in the 1990's. Enter a few one-owner old farts, and combine them with their rusty (or not) Lincolns. Anything with an upright radiator grille would have the asking price of a perfectly restored Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud.

"And look here - it has the original Michelin tires," to which you see a pile of dryrot.

This ad is the same parallel; only the old fart bought a Mustang and has been watching the Mecum auctions on Velocity from their retirement home.

-Kurt

I just emailed the seller saying I was interested, and I asking for actual photos of the car, I really need to see this.

so who thinks its real?

who thinks its a scam?

A joke on us from some General Motors fan, given the Photoshopped picture.

Has anyone found the source photo yet?

-Kurt

The place exists, but the "Robbins Auto Top Company" sign now reads "Satellite Masters:"

pena-brothers-upholstery-automotive-interior-san-antonio-tx.jpg

Mr. Peña himself posted that photo to Yellowbot, so perhaps calling him directly would be the best way to find out whether the car is presently stored there - and, if not, when the photo was taken - in addition to whether he did any restoration on it:

http://www.yellowbot.com/pena-brothers-upholstery-automotive-interior-san-antonio-tx.html

http://www.penabrosautotops.com/

-Kurt

Well...since I live near San Antonio I thought I would take one for the team. I'm about 50 miles from the location of the car. Since I was in town I was going to try to go by and see it. I called and talked to the owner and her daughter. They seem like nice enough people but do not know anything about cars. The upholstery shop it is located at is a friend of the family. His name is Rudy (70 years old) and the best I could understand he goes to a lot of car shows and has done a lot of work on it. She mentioned carpets, upholstery, and engine work. I talked to her 5 or 6 times as she tried to contact Rudy who appears to be closed on Saturdays.

They were actually traveling in NY when I reached her. They seemed very legit, and incapable of pulling off any kind of scam other than over pricing it. Now Rudy...who knows. I'm sure the car is real and I may get to see it if we can make schedules work. At a minimum she promised to get me the VIN number so I will post it when she calls me back with it...

Oh...and she swears it only has 300 miles on it since she bought it new...

Curious in SA...John

Back