One or 2 trunk dimples

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1266

Reaction score
I am getting ready to primer my 71 mach 1. And noticed My trunk area only has one dimple on the passenger side. My car was built in 8/70.... Am I missing something? Shouldn't the car have 2 dimples on the trunk, drivers and passenger? It doesn't appear like theres a factory dimple stamp out for it?. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

image.jpg

There was a running change at some point when the dimples were discontinued. I've seen original pictures of a 71 and it has them. I'd check date codes on your quarters if you want to be sure. It seems possible to recieve one of each. But, from your pictures it appears that the left side quarter has some extra filler that is not present on the right side. I'm thinking the right side is original.

My production date was 8/70 car # 100916. It looked like previous owner tried to add one dimple with bondo? I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something with the dimple

Thank you very much......

Quarters have D1ZB6

Last edited by a moderator:
Early cars had the dimples

Newer saw a car with only 1 though

I would think the trunk corner was changed sometime in the cars life.

Maybe minor rear hit so tail panel and 1 corner changed ?

My cars,

71 Convert built 12/70 has dimples.

71 Coupe built 02/71 has no dimples.

- Paul

First I've heard of these dimples. Can someone show a picture documenting them? I don't know what to look for in the photo above.

Back