1972 transmission leak FMX

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelley72

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang convert
Looking for some insight on my "ghost leak". Mycar has been sitting for a while and I noticed a leak that appeared to be coming from where the shift linkage attaches to the shaft. I was down about a 1/3 quart. It's been very cold here in Dallas up until to last weekend so I was able to finally get it out and drive it around for a few hours. I expected to be low again when I got back, but so far no leak? Any idea what could have caused the leak to be somewhat substantial and then disappear after driving? i know there are a couple of seals in that area but that is about the extent of my transmission knowledge. I've heard that it's possible for the torque converter to "bleed down" but that's a new one to me. i would appreciate any feedback/ideas that you may have. the transmission has been rock soild as long as i have owned the car (6 years) and still shifts like new. i really don't want to do a tear down on this thing since it's an FMX. I hear that they are unique compared to a typical C4 or C6 and if the mechanic is not familiar with the differences you can really make things worse during a rebuild which i don't feel is necessary anyway. Thanks in advance for your input.

Back