No electrical power

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boss429lover

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
1995 Mustang GT Cobra Clone
My 73 Mach 1 has no electrical power when ignition is turned. The car was stored 9 years in a burn in Oregon. I figured possibly it was the fuse box. Then I looked at a 71 Grande this weekend and the guy showed me that the motor ran but did it by jumping the coil and solenoid. I asked why he didn't do it through the ignition and he said there is a relay under the dash that goes out when the car has sat for a long time. Is there such a relay under? Is it located under the dash and if so what is it actually called? Any help would be appreciated.

Frank

I call BS on an ignition relay under the dash.

If you have a Voltmeter, go to the starter solenoid, by the battery, and see if you have 12 volts on the "I" terminal (the small terminal nearest the battery cable) when you turn the ignition switch to the start position. If you do, you probably have a bad solenoid. If not, you may have a bad ignition switch or fusible link at the starter solenoid.

Steve

It would be good to know if anything works. Lights?radio?turn signals? Or just won't start. If it's won't start and all the other things work? If so use proceeding suggestion of checking for power on I.

Back