Update 1/10: What should I expect?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1973 Mustang Mach 1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
It is a project car for me since I am 17. It needs new interior and a new paint job. I plan to make it a daily driver that I can enjoy whenever I want to go for a drive.
So the day is coming close to my Mustang rolling back onto the street. Any pointers on how she'll feel? I know she's not going to feel anything like my modern Camaro. It is pretty well original, just some parts replaced from where it has been sitting. The brakes have been changed to disc so that's good. But in short term, what should I expect? I'm one of the young guys on here, I'm 18, so I haven't really ever driven an old car. I know the steering is suppose to be different. So any pointers or tips would be great. For example; blind spots, and the normal stuff to look out for and to get use to, etc. Any tips are helpful.

And I will start uploading more and more photos and some videos soon since the car will be in my possession finally. (I'm excited for it, and so are some people that know the car from back in the day.)

Update 1/10: Well I finally got to drive it, and it was today at 4:30pm. I drove it for as long as I could which being on the east coast made my joy ride pretty quick. As soon as I got in the driver seat and dug out the seat belt I got on the road and drove it to my house. I was smiling the whole time. Went to pick up my girlfriend and told her to roll down the window (because it was getting dark and I only have 1 mirror to rely on) and the passenger window became stuck in the door. It was funny to me, but we got cold fast because of no heat and the A/C would not turn off. But we got it back to the house and had to park it in the garage next to the Camaro :p since the window was stuck and it started raining.

But all in all, once I'm able to start driving it longer distances the road will have no boundaries! And I already had people looking at me while driving down the road. Definitely a great day! And thanks to everyone for the advise! I had no problems, minus getting her to start a few times, but that's normal. And I also found a 1973 Mustang Specification book in my car, and it's old! So there's a bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my son drove my 73 after being use to driving his 2001 Mustang Bullitt he said he had to get use to how far you have to turn the steering wheel to make a turn. The long hood takes some getting use to also. Have fun.

Yep, the long hood and blind spots are a definite adjustment. Steering and brakes are definitely "vintage" compared to new cars.

Watch out for random thumbs up signs from others, long stares from pedestrians, and some possible attention that may make the girlfriend angry.

You may experience uncontrollable smiling and sudden outbursts of joy. You will also probably make detours that you never even considered before to make the drive last longer. You will feel like the king of the road and feel sorry for all the guys in their plastic buckets that adorn the streets around you and your appeal to the opposite sex will skyrocket. Those of the same sex will envy you.

On the practical side: you may wanna break a little earlier than you are used to in modern cars.

You may experience uncontrollable smiling and sudden outbursts of joy. You will also probably make detours that you never even considered before to make the drive last longer. You will feel like the king of the road and feel sorry for all the guys in their plastic buckets that adorn the streets around you and your appeal to the opposite sex will skyrocket. Those of the same sex will envy you.

On the practical side: you may wanna break a little earlier than you are used to in modern cars.
+1 What Mike said. +1 again on brake early. Also you may develop sore cheeks from smiling like an idiot the whole time your in it :D

I will have fun and let y'all know what I think about the drive!

Yep, the long hood and blind spots are a definite adjustment. Steering and brakes are definitely "vintage" compared to new cars.

Watch out for random thumbs up signs from others, long stares from pedestrians, and some possible attention that may make the girlfriend angry.
My Girlfriend is already use to that happening in the Camaro. And she's also excited to go for a ride in it. So she won't get jealous of that, just me spending more time with it lol.

Haha, that's a good Monday morning laugh there, and pretty true. And that's a tip I haven't heard, so will do!

Thanks everyone that has said something so far!

Lets see, crappy breaks crappy steering,bad handling and terrible blind spots. Whats not to like.:p Ether you love it or hate it. I must say there is just something cool about driving these cars.:cool: Good luck and have fun.

...crappy steering,bad handling and terrible blind spots.
About the first two: You gotta be doing something wrong. None of that on mine. :p

About the blind spots: Again, none of that on..... Oh, you need a convertible!!! :p:cool::D

So the day is coming close to my Mustang rolling back onto the street. Any pointers on how she'll feel? I know she's not going to feel anything like my modern Camaro. It is pretty well original, just some parts replaced from where it has been sitting. The brakes have been changed to disc so that's good. But in short term, what should I expect? I'm one of the young guys on here, I'm 18, so I haven't really ever driven an old car. I know the steering is suppose to be different. So any pointers or tips would be great. For example; blind spots, and the normal stuff to look out for and to get use to, etc. Any tips are helpful.

And I will start uploading more and more photos and some videos soon since the car will be in my possession finally. (I'm excited for it, and so are some people that know the car from back in the day.)
If you've never driven an older car I'd advice you to get use to the suspension and brakes slowly. Remember it doesn't have ABS so if you run upon something and slam your brakes on, you will lock the wheels and possibly control of the car, give yourself extra stopping distance until you adjust to the car.

...crappy steering,bad handling and terrible blind spots.
About the first two: You gotta be doing something wrong. None of that on mine. :p

About the blind spots: Again, none of that on..... Oh, you need a convertible!!! :p:cool::D
Oh I plan taking care of the first 2.:cool:

As the guys said... long hood, BLIND spots and you'll need to take the girlfriend as a "spotter" to help back it up the first few times. Oh and that warm sensation as you cruise down the road.... could need to check your pants...but most likely will be the proud and cool feeling that you dont get out of the Camaro...cuz not EVERYBODY's got one!!!!

Now do cruise it around at a slow speed and get the feel of it because it IS different... play with the brakes, steering stopping at lights etc.. KEep the speed down ...these big ole FAT BODY heavy cars WILL get away from you!!

Really thier not that scary. You will have a handle on it in about half an hour. Won't be like your camaro in anyway but its not likely to fly of the road just because your doing 80mph. Enjoy

Interesting thread. When I got my 71 Mach 1 a couple of weeks ago I was initially disappointed with how it drove. It was nothing like I remembered my new 72 Mach 1 back in 1972.

I had a hard time getting in and was looking for the recline knob instinctively but it was not there. Then I went to start it and completely forgot what it was like to start a car with a carburetor. It was cold and it did not want to wake up! Got it going and let it warm up then noticed I could not see out very well and the sport mirrors seemed so tiny. I have a huge driveway but felt I was backing up while blindfolded.

Then I hit the road and it started to all come back to me. It is an old car, 43 years 3 months and about 14 days. It will always be old but it will look so cool that none of that OLD matters. I needed to get it inspected before I could transfer the title to Texas. I went to three inspection stations before I got in. The car attracted a crowd of people at each place all interested in seeing a piece of Mustang history.

No the car does not drive, stop, accelerate, or handle like anything built today but we all know that is not what matters. We have cars that survived for the most part all these years. I will do my best to keep my car I the best condition possible for the next guy. I know I won't be here forever but I hope my Mustang will go on.

I would agree with all the advice you have been given except if I were you I would paint it Light Pewter Metalic instead of yellow. That is not from me but that was what my car told me to tell ya!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting thread. When I got my 71 Mach 1 a couple of weeks ago I was initially disappointed with how it drove. It was nothing like I remembered my new 72 Mach 1 back in 1972.

I had a hard time getting in and was looking for the recline knob instinctively but it was not there. Then I went to start it and completely forgot what it was like to start a car with a carburetor. It was cold and it did not want to wake up! Got it going and let it warm up then noticed I could not see out very well and the sport mirrors seemed so tiny. I have a huge driveway but felt I was backing up while blindfolded.

Then I hit the road and it started to all come back to me. It is an old car, 43 years 3 months and about 14 days. It will always be old but it will look so cool that none of that OLD matters. I needed to get it inspected before I could transfer the title to Texas. I went to three inspection stations before I got in. The car attracted a crowd of people at each place all interested in seeing a piece of Mustang history.

No the car does not drive, stop, accelerate, or handle like anything built today but we all know that is not what matters. We have cars that survived for the most part all these years. I will do my best to keep my car I the best condition possible for the next guy. I know I won't be here forever but I hope my Mustang will go on.

I would agree with all the advice you have been given except if I were you I would paint it Light Pewter Metalic instead of yellow. That is not from me but that was what my car told me to tell ya!
My car is currently Ivory Green (but starting to fade bc of age), but I'm going with black and red.

Black and red is a good choice. I have had many black cars. They are hard to keep clean but they look fantastic when they are clean.

Black and red is a good choice. I have had many black cars. They are hard to keep clean but they look fantastic when they are clean.
Tell me about it. My Camaro is black and I've kept it clean since I got it.

Back