Help turn off my 73...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonm253

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code 351C 4-speed
I need help shutting off my 73 351c Q code. I replaced the ignition switch and the locking cylinder on a fixed column. Since I did that, my 73 won't turn off. I had to play with the key in the lock cylinder from on to off a few times before the car shuts off. Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I adjusted and played with the grounding lever on the steering column ground wire that connects to the lock cylinder and still wouldn't turn off correctly. Thank you in advance.

check the adjustment on the ignition switch. the switch has a bit of movement in it. sounds like when you shut the car to off the switch is still in run or just making contact with run.

drop the column, and with the battery disconnected and car off, check the throw of the switch as you turn the key, adjust as needed.

might help to turn the key to ACC only all the way counterclockwise and use that as a start point for adjusting it and the linkage.

OK, get ready for a wierd answer to this one:

I had the exact same problem once.

Turned out to be the starter relay/solenoid was contacting the hood when it was closed, causing the ignition circuit somehow stay open even with the key off.

I could never get it to happen with the hood open, which eventually led me to the problem. All I had to do was just bend it down a tiny bit so there was no metal-to-metal contact.

Chances are this is not your problem, but is worth a quick check, and its easy to determine if thats the problem once you are pointed in the right direction.

I had this problem two days ago! After new alternator, solenoid, regulator and starter (which my car needed) it wouldn't shut off. I look around my engine and my coil was cracked! Check your coil it could be broken!

check the adjustment on the ignition switch. the switch has a bit of movement in it. sounds like when you shut the car to off the switch is still in run or just making contact with run.

drop the column, and with the battery disconnected and car off, check the throw of the switch as you turn the key, adjust as needed.

might help to turn the key to ACC only all the way counterclockwise and use that as a start point for adjusting it and the linkage.
Is there also some adjustment to be had for the switch to the other direction? Mine is wanting to stay in the 'Start' position (no spring-back to 'Run').

I'm thinking the spring in mine is either tired, slipped out of position, or something - most definitely a by-product of my steering column rebuild (I'm sure it's something I did or didn't do). ;)

I took mine apart, thoroughly cleaned everything, lubed it, and re-installed and adjusted. It work as new. 40 year old grease is a lot closed to shoe goo than grease. Chuck

Low voltage to the starter relay ( solenoid) will cause the contacters to fuse together, causing this problem. Used to happen on my Mk VIIs with some regularity.

Back