$5 p/gal Gas by Memorial Day!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
I agree, Barry. But I think it will happen sooner than Memorial Day. If the unrest in the Middle East continues at the rate it has for the last three weeks, and if Libya follows in the footsteps of Egypt, and other North African countries continue the trend, I believe the upset in oil production will bring $5 a gallon before the end of March or early April. If anything happens in Saudi Arabia or Iran, we're in for serious trouble.

Man, I hope that doesn't happen.

Doc

Yes, it is a very COMPLEX situation. Essentially it boils down to "supply and demand", a principle on which this GREAT Nation was built.

If you REALLY think about it, the "high' price of gasoline has brought about some ingenious advances in fuel requirements for new vehicles. As has been said, "if you build it, they will come."

Having said that, I agree....IT SUCKS:)!!!

BT

Yes, a very complex process. You also have to look at the quality of the oil being produced and imported, as well as things like Iran. It is not one of the top 15 oil exporters to the US (in fact, I don't think we import ANY Iranian crude). However, Iran exports to many other countries, and if there's a disruption in their oil processing, those other countries will come looking for oil from one of our importers for sure, which could lead to disruption of our supply. And even thinking about or talking about these things causes oil speculators to increase the price, without any disruption taking place! Where's my bicycle? :huh:

Doc

I have a friend with a 68 Z28 who back in the 70's during the gas shortage pulled the 302 out and dropped in a straight 6 till gas was back to driviable.10 gallon max fill doesn't go too far.

Yes, that is how I got the 428CJ motor that I currently have in "Fire" (my '73 Mach 1).

I was in the Philippines and the wealthy Filipinos were replacing their high performance motors with Toyota motors. I picked this puppy up for approximately $50.00, tore it down and found a Ford experimental cam with solid lifters. Man, I thought I had found a 427 Medium Riser until I ran all the numbers!

I agree with Doc in that it does seem to go up with just the "threat" of the oil supply being impeded.

BT

Hey Barry at least you have a 2.4, everything I have is V8's and my truck has a V10.

Can we request a refund from Kuwait or Iraq ?

Let me know when and where we meet up with the pitchforks.

Don

Hey Barry at least you have a 2.4, everything I have is V8's and my truck has a V10.

Don
How about Capitol Hill? LOL

no worries once barrel prices hit 140$ you'll be too busy trying to figure out how to eat instead of drive.

no worries once barrel prices hit 140$ you'll be too busy trying to figure out how to eat instead of drive.
I hear that! I work in the trucking industry and I can tell you, when diesel hits those kind of highs, trucks are going to get parked! That will bring this country to a grind! After all, if you bought it...a truck brought it!

this is all big business bull the price jacking is very quick when there is a problem but take's an eternity to go down when the problem is fixed. When an oil company says they lost 20 million. They didn't lose it they just made 20 million less than the last year. But they are still making insane amounts of profit and taking millions in bonuses.So once again the little man gets screwed.

Now you got me started where is the beer.

Don
How about Capitol Hill? LOL
I hope you have a time machine too so you can go back about 8 years.

I know this is bad for the short term, but it's exactly this type of thing that our country needs to push us off of our addiction to oil. Once the daily drivers are converted to something other than oil (coal [for now], solar, wind, hydro electric based), then gas prices could drop lower than where they are now.

Hell maybe I'll forgo the engine rebuild, and just convert my Mustang to electric. Do you know how many batteries I could fit in the engine bay!?!?

Im in the baoting business, fuel docks usually charge $1 more than land stations, in the Bahamas its usually $2 more per gallon. they are starting to talk about $8 a gallon diesel in the Bahamas. Most offshore boats burn 50 to 100 gallons in one day of fiishing or cruising.

Lets go fishing in 2010 $400

Lets go fishing in 2011 $800

I better start looking for a part time job

Back