stripping...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
So it will be time for me to start stripping the ugly worn out paint on the Stang and I want to know what people are using these days. Obviously the "easy" route would be sandpaper right, but I did the whole car that way last time and man it was long and painful. So I have been looking at a few products that I have seen around the web and want to know if anyone has experience with them. The big one that I would like feedback on is the bristle pad. I was looking at a set from Eastwood that comes in 50, 80 and 120 grit. http://www.eastwood.com/bristle-disc-set-of-three.html My questions are how long do they last, what is the best grit for stripping everything off down the bare metal, and does it create a lot of dust? After I strip I know I will want to clean the metal before spraying primer on it to begin body work, what is the best product to use?This is what I was looking at. http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-afterblast.html

As always, Thanks for the input!

- Nik

Last edited by a moderator:
Be prepared to go through lots of those things if you are stripping the entire car. Dust will be everywhere.

I will try the Jasco stripper out, guess I will stay away from the bristle pads if I would be going through them quickly, they are a bit expensive. Looks like 60 grit sandpaper on a disc sander it is!

I would be real careful with the grinder. The metal is thin and will distort quickly. Also, The grinders tend to cause edges that you have to build up with heavy primer or light filler. After messing around for thirty years or so with these cars, I have found that 80 on a good DA is the way to go. You will go through a roll on the car and running the vacuum for dust is a good idea.

Hey judge, I was gonna use a da for the sanding. Wasn't too excited about the idea of using a grinder for the bristle pads to begin with. I have already started stripping of all of the trim to get ready for the big sand. Think I am gonna do it in the driveway so that I don't have inches of dust all over everything. Thanks for the help guys!

Back