Any cyclists on here?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible
1974 Z28 camaro
1963 chevy C10
1999 F150 lariat 4X4
My daughters have been riding bikes for a while now and have been wanting me to join them (for health improvement) but I have not been on a bike for 31 years. Friday I finally caved and bought a CL special, did a tune up on it, and rode a 6 mile trail through the woods today...DAMN I'M OUT OF SHAPE...thought I was going to have an infarction the first 10 minutes. My legs burned like I was running through hells fire for a beer. After the ride was over, I caught my breath, coughed for 10 minutes, and came to the conclusion that I really wasn't going to die after all, I realized it felt like someone hit me in the groin with a baseball bat. But after waddling around like a penguin for an hour most of the pain had subsided and I began to feel pretty good about my accomplishment of starting a healthier lifestyle. Anybody want to buy a cheap mountain bike? Just kidding about selling...I did enjoy the serenity of the woods, and the lake views from the trail.

I can so relate!

My legs burned like I was running through hells fire for a beer.
Normal if you go for a long ride after a very long time away from cycling.

After the ride was over' date=' I caught my breath, coughed for 10 minutes, and came to the conclusion that I really wasn't going to die after all, I realized it felt like someone hit me in the groin with a baseball bat.[/quote']
Not normal. Were you keeping pace with your daughters at a rate you knew was faster than you would if you were riding on your own? If so, do the next ride alone, at your pace.

Do check that your saddle is at the right height and that the saddle nose is adjusted properly. A cheapo Wal-Mart rear suspension MTB without lockout will also kill your strength, as will improperly inflated tires.

Also make sure your sit bones are sitting ON the saddle and not on the sides of a very narrow saddle intended for serious MTB'ing (or a cheap saddle intended to look expensive by being too narrow).

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it will take some time to get in shape again but, it sure is a lot of fun. Living in the ozarks, there are plenty of challenging trails for all stages of experience. Bikes have changed a lot too...I like these disk brakes.

Biking is still a lot of fun. Wife and I do about 300miles a summer . We even went on a Wine and cheese 40 mile bike ride, though i must say i probably added more calories on that the the 40 miles burned off. even rode bikes in the blue mountains of Jamaicavegas 064.jpg

I have a Mongoose Hill Topper MTB that I scored from the police bike auction back in 1995 - tricked it out with accessories, rode it for a few months, then after getting out of the military haven't ridden it much at all.

Then I restored my Sentinel Californian road bike (big-frame 10-speed) I had in high school - probably put almost 10,000 miles on that bike... I literally rode it everywhere for 4 years straight, since I didn't have a car. After I got it back together, I rode it for about 3 weeks solid and started feeling better about myself... then had some family issues and never got back into riding.

Before:

19959_1082325235701_6751313_n.jpg

After:

19959_1082325275702_769688_n.jpg

I'm thinking it might be time to start riding it again. Thanks for the inspiration! ::thumb::

BTW, CW: Kurt's right - start off at your own pace. A 6-miler out of the gate is pretty brutal for a first time back. I'm so far out of shape that I was only able to ride about 2 miles my first time back (with a brief rest stop about halfway), and had only worked my way up to 4 miles after 2.5-3 weeks of every-other-day riding... and that's road riding, not trail riding. Be careful and don't hurt yourself.

Blatantly showing off here. Sold off all but the Winesap '82 Superior and the '61 Paramount though - best riders of the lot, by far.

paramount_group_5.jpg

paramount_group_9.jpg

The chrome 1970 and 1972 P13's went separate ways (as did the orange Superior), while the teal '73 went all of two blocks and is now owned by an ex-HEMI owning Mopar Mastertech - and has been fully restored, to boot.

-Kurt

Good deal. I feel like crap when I skip my daily workouts, but I started off feeling like I would die. It does get easier. Wish I could afford a new bike to break up my normal routine.

I used to ride quite a bit when I lived in Oregon, which was a great state for bicycling. I bought a touring bike (18 speed) about 6 months before any Mountain Bikes made serious inroads with the public. I gradually built up my stamina such that I would ride 60 miles at a time without a problem. Ahhh...those were the days before helmets were mandatory.

I had a white peugeot racing bike that I absolutely loved. One evening after school I didn't lock it up and it wandered off by itself and I never saw it again...I would love to get my hands on whoever stole that one. Of coarse that was before carbon fiber and you could still carry it around with your pinky finger.

Wow I didn't expect so many of you into cycling!

I cycle 9 miles every day (work & back). I'm not super keen but it keeps me in shape for hillwalking - I'm 52.

The money I save on fuel I can spend on my car - it's a win/win.

The ole Peugeot is easy to ride... its old technology of metal vs the cool carbon but still fun. I put my daughter on it for a couple of years. At first she was whining that it wasnt cool like the other kids, until she arrived at a few houses and the dads said "wow" your parents let you ride that? At first she was embarrassed until one went on to say ...that is so COOL. THEN she was proud to ride an ole classic.

My daughters have been riding bikes for a while now and have been wanting me to join them (for health improvement) but I have not been on a bike for 31 years. Friday I finally caved and bought a CL special, did a tune up on it, and rode a 6 mile trail through the woods today...DAMN I'M OUT OF SHAPE...thought I was going to have an infarction the first 10 minutes. My legs burned like I was running through hells fire for a beer. After the ride was over, I caught my breath, coughed for 10 minutes, and came to the conclusion that I really wasn't going to die after all, I realized it felt like someone hit me in the groin with a baseball bat. But after waddling around like a penguin for an hour most of the pain had subsided and I began to feel pretty good about my accomplishment of starting a healthier lifestyle. Anybody want to buy a cheap mountain bike? Just kidding about selling...I did enjoy the serenity of the woods, and the lake views from the trail.

Just found this opening to your file attempting a third try to send a pic.

Mike

4th attempt.....

4th attempt.....from msg missing, now error 503? server unavailable?Will have to try a different photo. Instead will post original photo on COTM.

6th attempt with different photo, re: missing msg error again. Just other error said server unavailable, #---

chI 539.jpg

Back