Carb spacer with "holes" with a single plane intake?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
When I bought my '73 Mach-1, it came with a 4v Cleveland with a mild cam and a victor single plane intake. Way more intake than that car needs. I would eventually like to get an Air Gap but funds are a bit short. I saw these carb spacers with the four individual holes in them. It says it's suppose to help with the bottom end (torque). Since you can never trust the "ad", I was wondering if anyone here has ever used them and what was your impression?

Mike

Single plane intakes love 4 hole spacers to help the bottom end. I have had great luck using 4 hole spacers on single plane intakes

Perfect. Since it would be impractical for me to try a number of them, is there a certain height or thickness of the spacer I should look at? Is one brand better than another? Which ones have you used?

Will the spacer affect the tune? (Will I then have to readjust the carb?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you have a stock height hood, that limits your height selection. I loved my 2 inch spacer on my torker intake, but 1 inch would have worked too. I have never tried aluminum or wood spacers as well, only plastic. You will most likely have to jet up just a little. Spacers react different to every motor, it's a gamble to see whats best. I'm going to be testing a hvh supersucker and a Wilson this year at the track.

I am using 2" open phenolic spacer with victor jr. single plane and it works good, has not dynoed though. I have a Dominator waiting to be installed, I'll use with vic jr. 1" power cone from Jomar and 1" open scaper under it. It seems to work good on flow bench at least...

Check this out:

http://www.429-460.com/t11379-carb-spacer-airflow-test

spacertest.jpg

spacers make the runners effectively "longer" increasing torque (to a point) whether open or 4 hole design. On a dual plane intake I would only use an open spacer. on a single plane either will work, but the 4 hole spacer will give a stronger vacuum signal to the circuits in the carburetor. The 4 hole spacer is more likely to cause the carburetor to need recalibration than the open spacer in my limited experience. If the air gap is a dual plane (which I think it is, but I haven't looked at it) you might save some money by going to the open spacer and being able to reuse it.

what all of the above said..

i use a Torker II intake with and 4-hole Wilson tapered spacer, helps a lot with low end torque..

Back