what was your first Muscle Car?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73Adrian

Reaction score
My Car
Looking to buy a 71-73 Mach 1 Mustang
Hi there from a new member.

Despite owning a Torana for my first car, I haven't owned what I could call a Muscle Car. I've had (still have) various bikes, Fairmont & Fairlane, have 4WD's, inc a new 70th anniv Grand Cherokee.

I'm drawn towards a 71-73 Mach 1 now after seeing one in a yard - is this what happens when you hit 40?

I'm wondering how many people have kicked off their muscle car ownership with the 71-73 mustangs?

If you have, how has it all gone?

How have the expectations been met?

My first car was my first Muscle car. A 1973 Mustang Mach 1. Green with white/black interior. Bought it in 1980 just before my 16th birthday. I would still have it but a drunk driver took it out three years later. I replaced it with the convertible that I still own.

My 73 Mach 1 is my first "muscle car " . I"ve always been a loyal Ford man and always wanted an old mustang . I finally in my mid 40"s found this one a yr and a half ago . After getting the bugs worked out , I'm at the point where I can really enjoy the car . I get a huge grin every time hear those pipes rumble and the thumbs up on the road . As far as my expectations , I can only see it getting better .:D

My first muscle car was in 1987 at age 21 was a 1970 Mach 1 with a 351 windsor, which I kept for about 8 years.

Second muscle car was a Falcon XB coupe, with a 302 Cleveland which I got stroked to a 351.

My current car is the '72 fastback which I bought five years ago at age 42, so yes, I can confirm that the desire for these cars does come on at about 40
old_man-3569.gif

Even though the '70 Mach 1 is considered to be a more desirable car than the '72 (and was a lot faster), I consider the '72 as the best car of the two as it has a more no-nonsense muscle car appearance than the earlier "pony" cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first car, while not a muscle car, was quite a street runner. It was a big 1964 Pontiac Bonneville, 389 CI, 4 bbl carb, and a unique 4 speed auto transmission. I believed GM called it a Duel Coupling HydroMatic or Super Hydromatic. Anyone remember the gear selections being P N D S L R, instead of the current P R N D 2 1. In the early 70's I use to stupidly do a lot of street racing taking off from the stop lights. The Bonneville was crazy fast off the line with the 4 spd auto and I recall many amazed looks from the muscle car drivers as I beat them off the line. I was racing a Road Runner once and was ahead until we hit about 70 and he caught up.

Anyway, my first real muscle car in looks was a 69 Firebird, followed by a 70 Mustang Sportsroof. The sportsroof was nicely equipped. I still have the window sticker!

My first muscle car was '70 GTX followed by a '69 Camaro. I currently have a '72 Camaro to go along with my '72 Mustang vert. I have a BMW 540i w/M sports package and 6-speed as my daily driver. My wife drives a Lexus. Guess I need to populate my garage at some point...:D

:worthlesswithoutpics:

My first car was a muscle car, a 1969 Mach 1 silver jade, black interior. Man I loved that car. Several years, several muscle cars later, I now have my grabber green 71 Mach 1. Can't wait to get it done!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My J-code was not only my first musclecar, it was my first car. September of 1973.

My very first vehicle was a 62 chevy C10, but, my first muscle car was a 69 chevelle (which got parted out) The one I have kept the longest is my 74 Z28 (I do still have the 62 C10)

My first car was a wanna-be/going-to-be muscle car... and I had every intention of following through with the goods: 1982 Mustang GL... and the plan was to dump in a 5.0, T-5, and do it all right when I returned from overseas.

But - the four-wheelin' bug bit me and I never looked back.

Now, I have my '71 Mach 1 - and it's my official first muscle car. I'm not going to say it'll be my last, but I know I won't be getting rid of it for any reason beyond some kind of life-changing event that will not allow me to keep it any longer.

Like some others here, my first "Super Car" ( that's what they called them back then) was my first car: My '71 429 CJ Mach 1, ordered and bought new in late '70.

I love this car ( and most other cars from the 60s & 70s) not so much for what they can do, which by today's standards is not so "super" or "muscular", but for the era that they were a part of and what that means to me.

America, and indeed the entire world was a far different place back then as compared to today, and the nature of these cars reflect that time well.

The whole country had a youthful, spirited and good natured attitude ( generally speaking) and these kinds of cars embraced that. Maybe even a little irresponsible.

Today, everything is as PC, idiot-proof and sanitary as the government can force businesses to make stuff.

Ultimate safety and sanitation translates to bland and boring. A little danger and risk is exciting and fun...within reason.

I am surprised that the carmakers today are allowed to sell such preposterously powerful and high-performance vehicles...it may be our last bastion of unbridled enthusiasm. Lets hope the "man" doesn't figure out how to nueter our car choices like everything else in life these days.

So, my first ( of many) "Muscle Cars" is also myfavorite...one I have no intention of ever getting rid of.

First care was a '65 Catalina - not really muscle but 400 cubes was fun. I shortly after that bought my 71 Sportsroof while still in high school. Sorry I let that one get away.

My First Musclecar is the 72 mustang coupe I have now. while its not much , exterior décor car with a 302 2v and fmx at the time. it was my first real v8 car nonetheless. Since then, cars have come and gone from my fleet but my 72 coupe I will never sell just continue to make better and better. way too many good times in that car.

I thought my first car was a muscle car;). It was a 73 maverick with a 302 that we added an edelbrock intake and added an autolite 4100 carb too, I miss that car and that carb haha, this was around 1985.

In 1975, at age 16, my first was a a 1973 Mustang Sports roof. 302, A/T. Dad wouldn't let me get the Z28. He said I would kill myself with it. A half hour later, he cosigned so I could buy the Mustang. I still have it today.

[attachment=21110] My 73 Sportsroof

Last edited by a moderator:
Back