DECOR GROUP 71-72-73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
This is the related text captured from 71-3 dealer brochures.

I have placed a shortened URL link under each to ref web pages.

1971 Mustang Brochure

DÉCOR GROUP OPTION INSTRUMENT PANEL with deluxe black appliques, de-

luxe 2-spoke steering wheel.

DECOR GROUP OPTION (also available on Boss 351, Sportsroof) Includes knitted vinyl or deluxe cloth/vinyl seat trim, deluxe black instrument panel appliques, rear ash tray, deluxe 2-spoke steering wheel, dual color-keyed racing mirrors (left side remote-control; standard on Boss 351), rocker panel/wheel lip moldings (except Boss 351), deluxe molded door trim panels (Convertible, Boss 351). Center floor console and Rim-Blow Deluxe 3-spoke Steering Wheel are both separate options.

http://is.gd/77mzOD

1972 Mustang Brochure:

“New Hardtop and Convertible Décor Group.

You can start designing with this unique, optional exterior trim package.

It adds distinctive sportiness to your Personal Driving Machine.

As shown here (brochure) on both models, it includes a honeycomb black grill

with integral sport lamps, a color-keyed front spoiler bumper, color-keyed

hood and fender moldings, and wheel trim rings and hub caps. Also

available with the Décor Group are bodyside tape stripes in black or argent.

(White sidewalls, shown are available separately.)”

http://is.gd/6uau1o

1973 Mustang Brochure

“Décor Group

Add a touch of dazzle to your Mustang. Shown on Convertible and Hardtop (below), the package includes a black grill with integral sportlamps, black or argent lower bodyside paint with bright chrome molding, wheel trim rings and hub caps.

Bodyside Tape Stripe. A separate optional available only with Décor Group in black or argent (shown on Hardtop below).”

http://is.gd/TQaBqA

OK

I'm trying to learn more here and could use everyone's help.

I have a 1972 Q code 4 speed convertible. I got this car in 1975 with just over 20k miles on the odometer. I have talked to and shown pictures to the original dealer's son. He remembered the car and thought his dad ordered the car for his mom. They had Shelbys and many other high-performance Fords over the years. He remembered my car just as it is today as the same as it was when new - even with the hood, side stripes and Magnums...

Not sure why exactly my car came with the NASA hood. I know the Mach 1 grill and the urethane bumper were part of the Décor Group too. But did the Q code or Q code 4 speed make the hood part of this package? How was it installed on my car? On a separate note - my car also came originally with a dual point distributor.

It was one of the last Q code convertibles built for the 1972 model year.

An interesting discovery for sure. Might be a question for Mr. Marti... ?

Thanks,

Ray

OK I have researched and Frank (mrmach1) was correct. I thought/think I had researched this before... :whistling:

For 1972 (didn't check 73 yet but might assume similar)

The 351-4V, aka Q code engine added the non-functional ram air - NASA type hood for the 1972 Mustangs. It would not be listed on the Marti or invoice for these cars. The 351-4V designation made it so. This was updated in the Jan 1972 version of the Ford Facts Book. This was the book my car was spec'd out by the ordering dealer. My car was a RETAIL order.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-facts-book-rev-1-72

1972 Q code and R code engines.PNG

I know these reference books are not perfectly factual. But this sure goes a long way to explain why my convertible was built like it was and why it remains that way today.

whew!

Ray

The Mach 1 stripes were available as an option on the 1972 Decor Group convertibles (like mine). This is taken from "Mustang 1964 -2003" by Peter C. Sessler:

Decor%20Group%20Text_zpsagbdhtgq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned earlier, the Decor Group changed for each year.  For some reason, I had forgotten that!!!

I have a relatively plain jane 1971 Sportsroof.  It shows Decor Group as one of its options. But I know it never had the contrasting lower body color.  And it has the standard lower bright trim at the bottom of the rockers.  

i-WnHnHNJ-L_edited.jpg

Here's the info (again) from the 1971 Dealer/Salesman book:

1971 Decor Group.JPG

1971 Decor Group a.JPG

Ray

Ray,

Looks right to me for '71. Has the racing mirrors, rocker and wheel lip moldings as stated in the snip you provided of the facts book.

'72 was when the Decor Group became basically a Mach 1 appearance package for the rest of the models.

What are the plans for the sportsroof? Very rare to see one that's still sporting it's factory wheel covers.

Ray,

Looks right to me for '71. Has the racing mirrors, rocker and wheel lip moldings as stated in the snip you provided of the facts book.

'72 was when the Decor Group became basically a Mach 1 appearance package for the rest of the models.

What are the plans for the sportsroof? Very rare to see one that's still sporting it's factory wheel covers.
Well, I still have the convertible ahead of this one.  And the ragtop still needs most of my attention.  

Plans for sportsroof will be to keep it as stock as possible.  It has manual drums all around and I still have a Lincoln Versailles sitting out at my farm.  Pressure to swap rear ends but as I mentioned,  now I'm keeping the focus on the convertible.

Ray

I have been asked before why I have a Mach 1 hood on mine. I tell them the NASA hood had nothing to do with Mach 1 was available as an option on everything but 6 cyl. and std. with 351 Q code in 1972 and they do not believe me, lol. What I just do not understand is why more did not do the argent or black out hood with hood locks an $18.00 option.

I don't believe the Ram Air hood was ever delivered on a Grande or any regular (non- 71 Boss) sportsroof "02".

I also don't think any  non-Mach 302 cars were ever equipped with ram air hoods. (I might be slipping on this one... LOL Let me know!)

I think even the very rare 71 Grandes that came with 429's were the non-ram air motors. (I'll try and verify this.)

If so I'd want to see their Marti and/or window sticker and/or build sheet.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe the Ram Air hood was ever delivered on a Grande or any regular (non- 71 Boss) sportsroof "02".
Ray, when I purchased my new M code, ram air hardtop in 71, also on the lot was an H code sports roof, auto, with factory ram air. Very few other options. Went with the former as better optioned, including the engine.

I also don't think any  non-Mach 302 cars were ever equipped with ram air hoods. (I might be slipping on this one... LOL Let me know!)

I think even the very rare 71 Grandes that came with 429's were the non-ram air motors. (I'll try and verify this.)

If so I'd want to see their Marti and/or window sticker and/or build sheet.

Ray
I almost bought a factory J Code 71 Grande in 1990. It’s still here in Ontario…

I believe David is specifically referring to the TuTone hood option for 1973, not the ram air hood specifically. 73 shows "Hood, NASA type" as an option, but does not specify a powerplant requirement, same with the TuTone option. The NASA hood itself was not a standalone option 71-72, only in 73.

The dealer docs state 71 429 C-code includes "Mach 1 hood", the J-code includes "Dual Ram Induction". They're also clear as to what the functional Ram Air was available on, essentially any 71-73 with a 351-2V or better engine except the '73 351-4V and (IIRC) the '72 351HO. This option was never tied to a body style, only the engine. Marti's books lists the numbers for each body style, but does not break down Grande' vs coupe or Mach 1 vs sportsroof. 

Ray, when I purchased my new M code, ram air hardtop in 71, also on the lot was an H code sports roof, auto, with factory ram air. Very few other options. Went with the former as better optioned, including the engine.
Interesting.  We know the 351 2bbl continued to be offered with Ram Air after they were forced to stop with all 4bbl motors.  But I did not know sportsroofs came with functional ram air.  As Hemikiller mentioned - not tied to body types.  thx!

Back