1972 sportsroof oddly optioned??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72Bossclone

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang boss clone
351c 2v ram air
Grabber blue deluxe Mach interior.
Always wondered and figured I'd post here to see if anyone has a car optioned similar to mine or similar interior and exterior color combo.

So the basics

1972 sportsroof body code 02

351c 2v H code

9 inch w/ 3.25 gears

Fmx trans

Grabber blue code 3F

Deluxe Mach 1 interior code GA

Now for the options

Am radio

Bumper guards and side rub moldings

Trim rings and caps w/whitewall tires

Deluxe seat belts

Wheel well and rocker moldings

Power steering

Power disc brakes

Air conditioning

Single chrome mirror

Full instrumentation gauge package

So essentially it was a Mach 1 without the stripes. Wonder if anyone else has a grabber blue 72 and when it was built, mine was built as far as I can tell by dates stamped through the car 7/7/72 which is a Friday and would explain some of the sloppy and carelessness of the build.

Your list didn't mention anything about "competition suspension", so that is a significant difference from a Mach 1. But, that may have automatically been included with the 351.

That is a well,-optioned sportsroof, for sure. And it will also nicely stand out as unique in a sea of Mach 1s at any car show or cruise night.

Your list didn't mention anything about "competition suspension", so that is a significant difference from a Mach 1. But, that may have automatically been included with the 351.

That is a well,-optioned sportsroof, for sure. And it will also nicely stand out as unique in a sea of Mach 1s at any car show or cruise night.
Didn't the 4V only cars come with the comp suspension?

Didn't the 4V only cars come with the comp suspension?
my 72 Sprint Sportsroof 2v (h-code)has Comp suspension on the Marti report

I think ... could be wrong but

In 71 comp suspension came on Mach 1's

In 72 and 73 it was an option

Mach 1"s had

Urethane bumper

Painted hood / fender trim

NASA hood - could be deleted on 302 cars

Honeycomb tail panel

Sport mirrors

Lettering

probably a few other bits I'm forgetting.

From Ford reference material - (sorry I have very little for 73's...)

From the 1972 Ford Car Facts Organizer (Ford's guide book/album detailing all the info about the cars to be utilized by Ford salesmen)

Mustang Section

pg C-19

PERFORMANCE EQUIPMENT

"Suspension, Competition (Includes extra heavy-duty front and rear springs, extra heavy-duty front and rear shock absorbers, plus front and rear stabilizer bars. Standard on Mach 1 and with 351 CID 4V engines. Not available with 250 CID 1V engine. Models ordered with F60 X 15 B/WL tires require this option. (see page C-11)

pg C-11

"A COMPETITION SUSPENSION is standard on the Mach 1 and is included in the 351 4v engine option. It is also optional with other engines except 250 CID engine. The competition suspension includes heavy duty front and rear springs, heavy duty front and rear shock absorbers, heavy duty front stabilizer bar and rear stabilizer bar.

Mustangs with the Competition Suspension and 351 CID 4v engine will again be equipped with staggered rear shock absorbers in 1972. Staggered rear shocks (the right is mounted in front of the axle; the left behind it) counteract wheel hop and increase traction during acceleration and braking. Staggered shocks also provide improved rear axle control with higher output engines."

From Ford 1971 Product Information / Car Facts Organizer

Mustang section rev Feb 15 1971:

Pg C-12

“An optional competition suspension is available on all models except those equipped with the

250-c.i.d. engine. The option includes heavy-duty front and rear springs, extra heavy¬

duty front and rear shock absorbers, extra heavy-duty front stabilizer bar and rear

stabilizer bar with 351 c.i.d 4v and up.. The competition suspension is standard on the Mach I, Boss 351 and with the 429-c.i.d. CJ or CJ-R engines."

BTW The entire Mustang section for 1971 is already posted in our WIKI. I will have the 1972 version scanned and posted ASAP.

If anyone has the 1973 Ford Dealer/Salesmen's Binder, please PM me - Thanks!

Ray

LOL.... "SEA" ....I've seen maybe 5 or 6 in 7 or 8 years even at Turkey Rod Run 7 years running. Most of those are 5 that I know of here in Houston including mine. But he has a well optioned sports roof that should look pretty good out there at the shows

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep Dana. I hear ya brother! This is why 2014 is my year to at least get one of my cars out and participate in SOMETHING!

Cars and Coffee events look probable and I hope to make the 2014 Pony Run as it passes through central Oklahoma.

Time and MONEY. It seems like the time slips by too fast and the MONEY mysteriously disappears into another pressing project.

I'm not giving up!

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for the info and as far as I can tell I don't have the competition suspension. At the shows it definitely stands out as everyone at the shows I've gone too have either yellow, red or silver 71-73 cars. But being badged as a boss might help too, sometimes I think it would have been nice to keep original but exterior wise the only odd option was the bumper guards the other trim had been removed. I should have a matti report done on the car though, also have the build sheet should post that up and see if it can be decoded.

Some of the sprints had the grabber blue option. look at the codes inside the door on the drivers side. if the interior/trim says hb. you have a sprint. thats the most defining thing.

That's seems to be they did do a lot of grabber blue in July but I never seem to see any for sale or at shows that are grabber blue. Most people always ask if that's the original color since they haven't seen it before. I'll have to check my build date again on the build sheet maybe are cars were built the same run.

Back