How much loss in value due to wrong engine?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Ok, here's the deal. I have stumbled on an absolutely stunning car that I could score for a pretty low price (in European terms, of course).

It's even worse because it's my favorite type of Mustang ever.

69 Mach1 R-Code (428 CJ)

Factory Ram Air (Shaker hood)

Candy Apple Red with blackout hood treatment

Black interior

3,25 Traction-Loc

C6 Automatic

Fold down rear seat

Rear window louvers

Front and rear spoilers

Tilt away steering wheel

Power disc brakes

Power Steering

Tinted Glass

Deluxe Belts/Warning light

Metric speedo (Export Model)

Lacks factory wheels but has original 1968-69 Shelby rims on it.

The car has been restored to factory specs using only NOS parts with great attention to detail. Underside is just as nicely finished as the body outside. No repro panels anywhere.

Paint and body work are top notch, on a par with the best I have ever seen. Very little filler.

The car has not been driven yet, as the assembly process is not yet complete. It needs the front grille, lights and bumper. The rest is done, all the panels are in place and perfectly aligned.

Ok, a 428 Cobra Jet in an awesome like new condition, so where's the problem?

Well, somewhere along the line it has lost it's original engine. It now has a 351 4v under the hood that is even period correct and it has all the bolt on stuff from the original engine, so the shaker and air grabber are there and functional.

How much would this affect the value of the car?

I would think the most important thing is the R-code in the VIN, right?

I'd even say that on winding European roads (better handling, lack of nose heaviness) and with our fuel prices the 351 would even be the better deal but still, it would be nice to have the 428 that it came with.

And over here, there is no way you score a 428 in the classifieds.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Compare the values of 69 Mach I 4V's to 69 R codes. There is a significant Delta. IMO the value is diminished in direct proportion to the cost of putting a date code correct 428 engine in with all the trimmings.

That is not cheap.

Seems to me that you get the car, and try to find the 428 later if you want.

I had one of these back in my high school days, with all of the options that you list, except my interior was red. Wish I had it back now!

I don't know the answer , but if you think it's a decent price + you want it , go for it ! That's my other favorite mustang as well . :D I bought mine knowing it would never be a matching numbers car , but I wanted it and didn't care. :cool:

IMO...if you are buying it to enjoy driving it...then no harm done, but honestly swapping a 428 for a 351 is a very bad call for value of the car. An all original R code 69 mach = big bucks

The 428 CJ adds so much value over the base car, that not having it loses ( I'm guessing here) 25-50% total book value.

Compare the values of 69 Mach I 4V's to 69 R codes. There is a significant Delta. IMO the value is diminished in direct proportion to the cost of putting a date code correct 428 engine in with all the trimmings.

That is not cheap.
Agree with Tommy PLUS even after all the expense of doing a correct 428 it will not have the VIN on it.

Also how much are they wanting ?

35000€. That's pretty cheap for European prices.

That's the minimum you pay here for a standard 69 fastback with your usual halfway decent resto and lots to do to get it reliable.

The strong point of this one is its top notch resto work. It's really outstanding and has 37000€ in parts only. The 5 years of work come free.

I look closely at most cars I see and hardly any car (mine included) is this clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
35000€. That's pretty cheap for European prices.

That's the minimum you pay here for a standard 69 fastback with your usual halfway decent resto and lots to do to get it reliable.

The strong point of this one is its top notch resto work. It's really outstanding and has 37000€ in parts only. The 5 years of work come free.

I look closely at most cars I see and hardly any car (mine included) is this clean.
If you believe the car to be good value as a 69 Mach I 4V based on the quality of the restoration then its a no brainer. Consider the R code VIN as a bonus.

Over here FE's are not hard to find. Actually there are many who argue performance vs 429...or the Cleveland with weight savings for street....or the performance NASCAR got out of each engine, and the drivers who drove them! Heh heh...So the real question you are asking is should you pop for a car with a Cleveland that had a FE originally? Well, yes...if you like 4 headlights on a so-so handling car. You said a restoration kinda car, lots of original parts? Yeah 69's handle like sh1t compared to 7173's on the road. If you put a Pinto R&P in the front, adjust the front suspension geometry, reinforce everything on the chassis, and add any kind of traction design to the rear then its ok. Look at the Trans Am cars man, they looked like Ford street cars but George and Dan had completely different suspensions than what the dealers sold. HA HA!

Does the car have any documented race history. Many of these were drag raced back in the day. If so a non number matching engine may not be as huge a deal in value since race engines do break... just a thought. Hemi cars with documented race history tend to trump numbers matching in some cases.

I am on the same page as most. If you want the car and the price is in line with what a normal 351C car would go for then buy it and drive it and have fun.

Along the way, start collecting the 428 parts. If at some point you can do the swap then you will have a big buck car and you can sell it for a mint.

Ok, thanks guys. I'll give it some thought.

The 351 is actually the better choice for our roads. You don't want a nose heavy car. The R code gives it great potential for value if I can find a 428, which won't be easy.

The car has no race history, it's simply a well equipped (shaker hood etc) top notch restored Mach1.

I don't wanna part with my 72. It's just too good and reliable to let go.

But on the other hand I don't wanna part with the cash either. :)

Plus I wanted to scratch that Mopar itch if I was gonna buy another toy.

I will give it some thought.

The 351 is actually the better choice for our roads. You don't want a nose heavy car. The R code gives it great potential for value if I can find a 428, which won't be easy.

The car has no race history, it's simply a well equipped (shaker hood etc) top notch restored Mach1.

I have had a Mopar itch for 20 years and just cannot find a decent way to scratch it

I have had a Mopar itch for 20 years and just cannot find a decent way to scratch it
I think they make a cream for it. Hemiroids or something like that :p

66 Chrysler 300s do it for me as well as 72 Superbee's just to be different. Any challenger are 70 cuda in black

Latest posts

Back