Grande Side-Stripe for a '71?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ponycar58

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Hardtop, PS, PB, 302 Auto, Air, Medium Green Metallic, Black Vinyl Roof
New to this folks, but just wondering if anyone has a picture of the '71 Grande side stripe? I seem to recall it was different from the 72-3 in that it only went to just behind the door, rather than the full length. Was it just a simple two-strip tape, or was there a secondary color between the 2 (I'm thinking like on the '69s where there was a gold middle, with black above and below, though that 69-year was a much thicker stripe). Any info would be appreciated, and thanks!

Side stripe was the same in '71/72.

1973 Mach 1's had the thicker, lower stripe that ran up to the rear wheelwell, though 1973 Decor Group cars could be ordered with the 1971/72 style stripe.

-Kurt

1973 Mach 1's had the thicker, lower stripe that ran up to the rear wheelwell, though 1973 Decor Group cars could be ordered with the 1971/72 style stripe.

-Kurt
Thanks Kurt: I've seen pictures where it seems to go along the body crease from the front of the fender to just behind the doors, rather than all along the tops of the fenders; I'm wondering if that is perhaps a door-guard type of molding rather than a strip?

Thanks Kurt: I've seen pictures where it seems to go along the body crease from the front of the fender to just behind the doors, rather than all along the tops of the fenders; I'm wondering if that is perhaps a door-guard type of molding rather than a strip?
Wait a second - are we talking about the side decal stripe, or the rub strip for parking lot door rubs found on the cars with the Protection Package?

-Kurt

-Kurt
That sounds like the protection strip

Also dealers would add various pin stripes to cars on the lot.

I don't have a pic but remember some Grandes having the small pinstripe that ran along the upper sides of the body line. Looks like the Protection Group option negated the use of this stripe, if so ordered.

I have captured the following info on the 1971 Grande stripes:

2a5g1i0.jpg

And related info on the 1971 Protection Group:

so4zs0.jpg

Here's a 73 Grande with correct Grande side pinstripe:

2zgvsyc.jpg

Ray

New to this folks, but just wondering if anyone has a picture of the '71 Grande side stripe? I seem to recall it was different from the 72-3 in that it only went to just behind the door, rather than the full length. Was it just a simple two-strip tape, or was there a secondary color between the 2 (I'm thinking like on the '69s where there was a gold middle, with black above and below, though that 69-year was a much thicker stripe). Any info would be appreciated, and thanks!
You are correct in that the '71 Grande side stripe is different from those on the '72 and '73 Mustang in that the stripes only extended "from the leading edge of the front fender, along the body line, before tapering off just aft of the door." The '71 stripe was (is) a dual accent stripe that varied dependent upon the exterior of the car and Yes it was deleted from cars with the Protection Package.

The '72 and '73 Grande side stripes were (are) "2-toned, beginning at the edge of the front fender and following upper body line to the rear of the quarter panel. The stripes were available in 3 different color combinations, depending upon the exterior paint: gold/green, gold/white, and black/orange."

Source: "Mustang Recognition Guide 1965 - 1974", Pages 200, 207, and 217.

BT

You are correct in that the '71 Grande side stripe is different from those on the '72 and '73 Mustang in that the stripes only extended "from the leading edge of the front fender, along the body line, before tapering off just aft of the door." The '71 stripe was (is) a dual accent stripe that varied dependent upon the exterior of the car and Yes it was deleted from cars with the Protection Package.

The '72 and '73 Grande side stripes were (are) "2-toned, beginning at the edge of the front fender and following upper body line to the rear of the quarter panel. The stripes were available in 3 different color combinations, depending upon the exterior paint: gold/green, gold/white, and black/orange."

BT
sidestripe.jpg

Obviously I don't have a 71 Grande, but is this the stripe you guys are talking about? with a matching one on the hood?

T2

Ah, great info everyone - I really appreciate the feedback. Particularly interesting to me is the comment that Dealers would apply striping as well (assumingly pre-delivery). The copies of the option-lists really helps; Thanks All.

BT
Obviously I don't have a 71 Grande, but is this the stripe you guys are talking about? with a matching one on the hood?

T2
That's the location and length of what I recalled (and what I was after), and that looks like the rub-strip from the Protection Group noted in a response above. I think my 'mystery' is solved in the attachment above that noted the stripe is deleted when the Protection Group is ordered, and from that I'll assume the location of either the stripe or the rub-strip would be the same. Again, great feedback all!

Last edited by a moderator:
That last pic with the blue one is the protection group. Mine had that too. That was the first thing to come off. :)

You mean this?

Made a resolution to finish the car this year.

Rear end damage was the catalyst :)

Took the picture before the stripe on my '71 Grande

is obliterated. Actually, that is not a bad idea.

Should probably photograph every square foot of the

car before it goes to shop.

mike

P1230631.JPG

P1230632.JPG

Back