Modern dash

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
Anyone know the guy that put a 05-09 dashboard in his 71-73? I want to ask him a few questions because I am putting a 2011 dash in my 71 coupe. I have spent the last hour searching the forum for this particular person and have had no luck. Thanks guys!

Anyone know the guy that put a 05-09 dashboard in his 71-73? I want to ask him a few questions because I am putting a 2011 dash in my 71 coupe. I have spent the last hour searching the forum for this particular person and have had no luck. Thanks guys!
I'm planning to go seriously restomod with the dash in my '71. Would love to see pics of what you come up with. Sounds very cool.

+1

I considered a dash from a '94-'98. I figured the cars were similar in size. I would like to see some pics too.

Yeah there was just a post within the last couple of weeks with a picture of it in the thread, but I cannot find it! I went to a local salvage yard yesterday and found an entire dash and center console for $500! Great price, but I am not ready to spend that money on this portion of my project yet, plus I don't have an extra 500 laying around. I figure it shouldn't be too hard, maybe a bracket along the bottom of the windshield for the modern dash to sit on so I don't have to cut it to conform to the bottom of the windshield and a couple of brackets on the ends to bolt to. I think the only hard part would be getting the center console to line up with the shifter without making any cuts, but I guess I could wrap it in something like vinyl or paint it if I had to...not sure.

The stats on that guy's Marti Report are awesome. My Marti report basically says, "Your car will never, ever be concourse, but that way lies madness. Game on."

The stats on that guy's Marti Report are awesome. My Marti report basically says, "Your car will never, ever be concourse, but that way lies madness. Game on."
Funny thing - the Marti for the crazy eBay car essentially states: "This car could have been concourse, but some fool decided that it'd be better to cut it up, stick an SN95 under it, and put huge wheels on it that do not reflect the relative torque of the engine."

-Kurt

Funny thing - the Marti for the crazy eBay car essentially states: "This car could have been concourse, but some fool decided that it'd be better to cut it up, stick an SN95 under it, and put huge wheels on it that do not reflect the relative torque of the engine."

-Kurt
Yeah. Given the car's uniqueness and value, he'd have done much better not to go all restomod with it. My car, I'm going to shoot for something which is, at a glance, stock, but with plenty of modernity hidden away.

Yeah I saw that car a while back, pretty hideous if you ask me. There is nothing mustang about the interior of an SN95, at least the 05+ mustangs dash pays a little homage to the originals.

Yeah I saw that car a while back, pretty hideous if you ask me. There is nothing mustang about the interior of an SN95, at least the 05+ mustangs dash pays a little homage to the originals.
Indeed. On the other hand, Ultra-Fox is a perfect example of how good the S197 dash looks in an earlier car (in this case, a Foxbody):

http://www.stangtv.com/features/car-features/ultra-fox-jason-halls-unbelievable-gt500-swapped-fox-body/

DSCN0044-312x234.jpg

Getting ideas yet? ;)

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, the interior is the only thing I like about that car. Why, oh why, are the fox bodies so UGLY?

Sadly, the interior is the only thing I like about that car. Why, oh why, are the fox bodies so UGLY?
I really can't get into them that much either, but I can't help but like this one for the S197 dash. Odd thing is, I hate sitting in an S197. It's as if one is sitting in a constricted bathtub.

I'll take a Fox any day over a New Edge though. The next-door neighbor has a convertible New Edge for sale - all of $800 - and I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

There aren't even any parts I can strip off of it...

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I really can't get into them that much either, but I can't help but like this one for the S197 dash. Odd thing is, I hate sitting in an S197. It's as if one is sitting in a constricted bathtub.

I'll take a Fox any day over a New Edge though. The next-door neighbor has a convertible New Edge for sale - all of $800 - and I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

There aren't even any parts I can strip off of it...

-Kurt
Agreed on all counts. Fortunately, we lucky few are able to enjoy Mustangs that look as good as they sound.

This is my idea exactly, only in my 71 and it would be the newer dash out of a 2011. Just trying to talk to the guy that did it in his 71-73 car to see what his challenges were so I can try to avoid them.

I would think one of the biggest challenges would be to get all the wiring straightened out and working. I had the Shop Manual for my '06, and just the electrics alone ran well over 200 pages. Lots of subharnesses and no over-view.

Obsidian71 was doing the SN97 thing.
"SN71," to be exact - a '71 with SN95 shock towers/front framerails, plus rear framerails modified to accept SN95-era Cobra IRS suspension.

I can't recall if he ever got to the interior on it, but as I recall, it had a stock '71 floorpan and mildly modified firewall.

-Kurt

Mike was going to keep the interior stockish I believe. That reminds me I need to get ahold of him for some tail light lenses, and so does everyone else! Again if anyone knows the guys that put the 05-09 dash in his 71-73, let me know, I believe he is on the forum.

Back