Right coloration of the parts of a medium ginger interior

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hi guys,

I am in the partially restauration of my Mach and will post that progress detailed a few days later for you... So I was coming in some questions by that, first of them:

Are the dash pad and the dash crown originally from the same color in a medium ginger interior? I have bought a new ginger original tooling pad and it seems a bit darker than my crown...

Whats with the rest - is the coloration of the interior normally consistent or is it usual that it changes from part to part? My interior is original in every part, only the dash crown seems to be laquered once...

Does a medium ginger originally have only one coloration and is it the sun which tints the colour from time to time? I question that also because of the spray cans (vinyl dye or laquer) which could be bought with "medium ginger" and "dark ginger". Which ones should I buy?

I have bought the big console with clock and it seems also to be a bit darker than the rest but it has the same colour as the mini console. I have also a black rim blow steering wheel to restore which I will color in ginger - are the steering wheel pad an the steering wheel itself the same colour and which coloration should I choose?

Do you have some pictures or ideas?

Here are some older pictures of my interior - the grant steering wheel was replaced by the original Mach 1 steering wheel and the original cracked pad is coverd with an overlay...

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

The American Guys would be best to advise on paint brands and colours to deliver the best results, but it is well known that the sun (ultra voilet light) , heat and age, will discolour all vinyls, plastics, carpets, and paint finishes over time.

Greg.:)

I have a NOS ginger dash and it is closer to the color of your kick panels. I have also had my ginger interior car since it was 2 years old and I remember the color matched the NOS dash. Your dash color should be very similar to your kick panels. By the way most times you can look at the backs of the original parts, some times the surface material wraps around to where the sun don't shine. That won't be faded. I'm not sure what you mean by the crown.? Your mini console color appears correct. I use the two aerosol paints to mimick the variably shading of the door panels. Where I use it is on the interior quarters. They must be out and prepared. Then I paint with the darker color. While it's still very wet I mist the lighter color so they blend, I look for something that matches the door panels. There are many manufactures that supplied Ford, and many surface types. This lead to many different colors in the ginger cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my car. Dash is a repo, carpet has been replaced, and the seats are obviously retrimmed, but everything else is original.

IMG_1444.jpg

@greg:

nice exterior color you have - gold glow?

@judge:

thank you for your judgement. With "crown" I meant the metal dash between the pad and the windshield, right.

Are you sure, that they are originally all black?!? I have seen so many gingers out there wich are also ginger...

My new repro dash pad has also the color of the kick panels, so that seems to be fitting. But then my dash crown seems to be too bright or should it be black :huh:

And the quarter panels, you mean that they are originally of the same shades as the original door panels???

@mezapu:

thanks, that looks good. Is your dash crown also a repro or repaintet?

Cheers,

Tim

Tim, I rechecked mine. It is an exact match of the pad color. It's not black as stated. I've handled so many black ones in the shop that I assumed to much. I believe avocado int cars matches their pad as well. The quarters and tail trim about two feet behind the quarters should be same color tone as doors. On standard interior doors, the door panel topper will match as well.

Tim, I rechecked mine. It is an exact match of the pad color. It's not black as stated. I've handled so many black ones in the shop that I assumed to much. I believe avocado int cars matches their pad as well. The quarters and tail trim about two feet behind the quarters should be same color tone as doors. On standard interior doors, the door panel topper will match as well.
Thank you for clearing this so I am becalmed now ;)

Perhaps I will do a repainting of the dash crown in a darker ginger color to match the pad.

Tim

Back