Broken rear defrost switch - replacement?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim,

The convertible top switch handle can be swapped into the rear window defrost switch. Check this thread:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1971-rear-window-with-defrost

I have an exploded view of the disassembled switch around page 3 or 4 of that thread. Once you have the switches apart, you can swap the handles. These things break with great regularity. I have replaced mine once.

Hi Steve,

that's great to hear, thank you very much for the thread. Sounds like an easy swap - did you heard of the result of jb73Machs attempt?

But once I will install that I have to be very careful with my feet it seems - mine was broken already as I bought the car...

Cheers,

Tim

@Steve:

Nice car you have, love the blue - I have a 4 speed and a Q-code basically too, but I have 1970 closed chamber heads on it with a Offenhauser and a 1970 carb. Will give him sometime his original gold glow color back...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine still has the original switch still intact,but I have a spare just in case..

When my top switch handle broke off ten years ago, I disassembled the switch and replaced the short metal peg with a section of an arc welding rod. Then I carefully drilled the black handle to allow a deep pocket for cementing. It works great and I have hit it several times without issue.

@jb:

P E R F E C T - thank you :):):)

@3k73:

Nice - would you sell it?

@ judge:

sounds like a knee-breaker - good idea if I will break my new converted switch immediately... :D

Cheers

Tim
I THINK I'D PREFER TO KEEP IT JUST IN CASE ...HAVING THE CAR 4 38 YEARS AND NOT BREAKING IT MUST B A RECORD..LOL

3K73

Back