Painting drums and calipers

What was the original color of the 1972 drums and calipers? What paint do you recommend???

I think they were left natural, but I am unsure. I use Cast Blast on mine. Also known as cast coat or other names that duplicate a raw casting color.

PB220268.thumb.JPG.3fccc2bc39cac3d677411a9baaec634b.JPG

What was the original color of the 1972 drums and calipers? What paint do you recommend???

I think they were left natural, but I am unsure. I use Cast Blast on mine. Also known as cast coat or other names that duplicate a raw casting color.

Thank you!

Brian Kulis

I was wondering if anyone every just used a High temp clear? I will have new drums, rotors, and calipers and thought there must be a clear out there. Eastwook makes Diamond clear but its only to 300 deg. Anyone know what kind of temps these things reach?

- Jim

I also think it was natural. I however painted mine black. Looks great on the red/black paint job and M500s

I agree, really looks good on your car. I have a 72 Convert, with colors similiar to yours, at least they used to be before my sister left the car out in the rain for 5 years with the top down! She was kind enough to give the car to me to restore.

Brian Kulis

I just painted mine with bright red caliper paint from advance auto for looks. Quite the opposite of those above, I plan to have these flashing thru the chrome cragars once I get it rolling again.

Obviously this is not stock, I believe that unpainted is stock, but I like the idea of making these look new for my restore.

Its up to you. I'd recommend 500deg + paint.

Jay

caliper.thumb.JPG.e85f660578bf648bf1455c94f95bcf05.JPG

Pics of The Car

I just painted mine with bright red caliper paint from advance auto for looks. Quite the opposite of those above, I plan to have these flashing thru the chrome cragars once I get it rolling again.

Obviously this is not stock, I believe that unpainted is stock, but I like the idea of making these look new for my restore.

Jay

Sweet!

Brian Kulis

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if anyone every just used a High temp clear? I will have new drums, rotors, and calipers and thought there must be a clear out there. Eastwook makes Diamond clear but its only to 300 deg. Anyone know what kind of temps these things reach?

I used high temp clear on my wheel cylinders and brake parts stamped "bendix fomoco". It coats clear and looks good. I bought my stuff at autozone. The can says 900 degrees.

image.thumb.jpg.859848d84c80462ac6829fab107410c8.jpg

Looks good.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Guest Kit Sullivan

On cars with factory-installed Magnums, the face of the rear drums was given a quick and sloppy coat of "slop black". This was just to keep the drums from showing through the slots.

Not sure this is right, but I painted the drums with high temp cast paint with a black ring. The drums had sloppy black paint on the face, one it was just on the outside ring the other the full face. I have factory magnums image.jpg.eac4b77c1de69a1cb62f672be2b5ad74.jpg

• 8 months later...

Jay

How did you prep them?

Brian Kulis